Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAMM 2017

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Don't forget the Launch of the Eastman SB59 at just £1399 for a hand made LP style using the most exquisite tone woods.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't forget the Launch of the Eastman SB59 at just £1399 for a hand made LP style using the most exquisite tone woods.

Jeez.  I didn't need to see that.  :(

I am as broke as ever.  I'm sure it'll be a monster of a guitar.  
  • There's an interesting side effect of all the modelling and digital stuff that's come out at NAMM this year - we're actually getting some decent impressions of the tones these things can make, because they're recorded DI and without all the background noise.

As a bonus, this bodes well for The Guitar Show in Feb. I'm hoping we can do something similar on our stand...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3020
    It's funny how on that first one they've basically ripped off the Chad
    DamianP said:
    miserneil said:
    Hmmm....http://www.guitar-bass.net/news/namm-2017-fender-custom-shop-founders/

@DamianP might have something to say about that headstock...
    WezV said:
    miserneil said:
    Hmmm....http://www.guitar-bass.net/news/namm-2017-fender-custom-shop-founders/

@DamianP might have something to say about that headstock...

What can he really say to them?

I have started to see a trend though.  If you see a fender style guitar not built by fender getting a lot of love of the internet, it will 2-3 Namm's before you see fenders version of the same thing appear.  

Isn't it the case that Gene Baker was the original builder of the 'Telstar' that was one of the inspirations (I guess) for the Rocket? 

Being honest I prefer Damian's standard headstock anyway, and particularly the very cool truss rod covers.
    I have nothing but good things to say about that guitar.  I think it was a great idea by Fender to pay tribute to the original custom shop guys.  I wish I could have worked there.  Unfortunately I'm here and it's a bit of a commute!

The DNA  of that guitar and the Rocket come from the same source.  Moe is correct. The original DAG/Chad Underwood Telstar was originally designed by Gene.    My friend Matte Henderson was also involved and he ended up with ownership of the design.   The current version of the Telstar design is the LSL Guitars Mongrel.

Matte and I worked together on re-designing the concept from a 25.5" scale bolt guitar into a 24 5/8" scale set neck one.  I had to re shape the body slightly to suit the 17th fret neck/body joint but the rest of the outline is the same.  The aim was to build something with all the sonic attributes of a great Gibson but with the comfort and ergos of a Strat.  We nibbled bits from here and there along the way.  A little Explorer in the neck joint, a little Firebird in the headstock.  There's bits of most of my favourite  '50s designs in there somewhere but It definitely all started with Genes original idea.

I'm currently working on a new version which has less Strat and more Tele in the mix.

It was funny to see Fender launch this. I was fascinated by these when Chad Underwood/DAG launched them a few years back, couldnt afford one of the real ones unfortunately but undeterred I went and had a word with Jon Manuel and ended up with this

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/Telstar/4bfe0d51af6974297f474695fcc5583d_zps69189e49.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/Telstar/de925d75e62993313134c66f49c8f246_zps81b5e5f1.jpg

Got a bit carried away and ordered a neck from Muiskraft that is 1 3/4 wide at the nut and an inch thick all the way up but after a fret dress & setup by the mighty Feline it turned out rather lovely..

Anyway as it happens I sold it to a friend a couple of years back but just this past week I've done a trade with him which will see it come back to me.

Plans are to swap out the trem for a Wudtone one that will take a 3 saddle tele arrangement, maybe a slight neck reshape, recut the headstock to something a bit less "F" and then maybe off to @lamf68 for a respray

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    There's an interesting side effect of all the modelling and digital stuff that's come out at NAMM this year - we're actually getting some decent impressions of the tones these things can make, because they're recorded DI and without all the background noise.

As a bonus, this bodes well for The Guitar Show in Feb. I'm hoping we can do something similar on our stand...
    Do explain?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27081
    edited January 2017
    Jetfire said:
    There's an interesting side effect of all the modelling and digital stuff that's come out at NAMM this year - we're actually getting some decent impressions of the tones these things can make, because they're recorded DI and without all the background noise.

Do explain?
    I can't, unfortunately. It depends entirely on a deal not yet done. I'm really, really excited about it though, and I think it might give Clarky's rig a run for its money :)
    <space for hire>
  • The exotic wood fenders looked really good.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3344
    I'm really liking the Taylor GS Mini Bass. However, it's a little pricey but I would be concerned about the bespoke D'addarrio strings you have to use on them (won't take anything else). What if D'addarrio stop making them and didn't this happen with the plastic/rubber strings for the mini Ashbury bass?
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Kebabkid said:
    I'm really liking the Taylor GS Mini Bass. However, it's a little pricey but I would be concerned about the bespoke D'addarrio strings you have to use on them (won't take anything else). What if D'addarrio stop making them and didn't this happen with the plastic/rubber strings for the mini Ashbury bass?
    Deliberate built-in obsolescence as with most kit these days
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3344
    mellowsun said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Deliberate built-in obsolescence as with most kit these days
    You're right @mellowsun - Eleven Rack updates etc, too
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9707
    edited January 2017
  • Rowby1 said:
    Plectrum said:
    rico said:
    I'm interested to see what Marshall have up their sleeves (if anything!)
    There will be new amps announced.
    Amps you say? Wow, was expecting Marshall branded cuddly toys and fondue sets, not actual amps  ;)
    I quite liked their fridge...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • Rowby1 said:
    Plectrum said:
    rico said:
    I'm interested to see what Marshall have up their sleeves (if anything!)
    There will be new amps announced.
    Amps you say? Wow, was expecting Marshall branded cuddly toys and fondue sets, not actual amps  ;)
    I quite liked their fridge...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.