SG or 335?

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
edited January 2017 in Guitar
I am kind of thinking about going down to just two electric guitars. So I was considering selling either my SG or Tokai es130. 
Both are sentimental and this is purely speculative. My gut tells me a 335 style guitar is more versatile than an SG standard. I don't play any hard rock or metal. Thoughts?
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
    Unless you plan on joining an ACDC tribute band, keep the ES335 all day long. Just my preference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749
    What would the guitar guitar be in this scenario?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 521
    i'm a dedicated SG player live and love them but 335's are way more versatile in my experience. they can do pretty much anything. (Which reminds me I must buy another one..) 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    What would the guitar guitar be in this scenario?
    Well a PRS DGT and most likely the tokai es130 atm. I do have a very well built partsocaster strat as well but that's worth more than it's second hand parts tbh. 
    Ive had the SG for 19 years but sometimes you have to learn to let go. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749
    If the other guitar isn't a Strat or Tele I'd be keeping the SG all day long. I don't care about playing metal, but the SG is further from the DGT tonally.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    If the other guitar isn't a Strat or Tele I'd be keeping the SG all day long. I don't care about playing metal, but the SG is further from the DGT tonally.
    Yeah when I ab'd them it was quite a stark contrast to me. More than i was expecting. I think I'll just settle on four in the end. PRS, SG, Tokai and strat copy. 

I know that if I sold the SG because of the attachment id regret it shortly afterwards. It's only worth £500 or so and with the Tokai id never get a 335 guitar that sounds as good for the £650-700 id get for it. And i paid twice that for it new. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I'd keep the 335, it's the only Gibson I really like......although Les Paul's are starting to grow on me, gold top's with P90's.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Unless you *need* to sell one, I wouldn't.

SGs are the most versatile Gibson solid bodies and the 335 can do most things with aplomb.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    If it were me, I'd keep the sg. I don't like semi/hollow guitars, but you do. So you should keep both!

You're welcome!
     ;) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• If you need the money, sell the one that will bring in more money. If not, just keep the one that looks coolest. If it was me I'd choose to keep a Gibson over a Tokai.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    sell both and take up the Oboe....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 141
    I'm pretty settled with my es335, SG with p90s and a Tele. Got most things covered with them!

If I was to keep 2... probably the es and the tele