http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    miserneil said:
    ICBM said:
    Mesa Trem-o-verb. 
    Annnnnnnnnd Right on cue!! ;-)
    You can buy it if you like, and experience the majesty of it for yourself :).

(You may want to bring a fork lift truck to take it away ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd go back to the Mesa Express 5:25
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    I reckon my Blackstar HT Stage 60 covers all the bases.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316

I love my Fender Prosonic. Its warm and bluesy, but surprisingly gets a little muddy under drive. Like most fenders, its own drive channel isn't all that great, even though its the best I've heard from a fender.

If you were in a semi pro function band that had to cover everything from the beatles/stones, eagles, doobie brothers, dire straits through to Foo Fighters, Green Day, G'n'R, Biffy Clyro etc, what would you reach for (that isn't thousands of quids). I'm feeling a 2x12 and it needs a line out

Go

I'd go back to the Dr Z EZG that I sold only a couple of months back to @bermudianbrit . Hugely authoratative with the right cab (2x12, preferrably oversize and open back, with an EV plus something alnico) there isn't a pedal it doesn't like and can go from lovely lush clean to seriously dirty with no artefacts, just get the right pedal. If you need higher headroom you can fit a Weber CopperCap or similar, but I found the valve rectifier perfectly adequate for stage volumes.

For lower volumes just hit it with a slight boost to the front end and you have juicy, just on the edge of breakup, clean tones, or a big boost for lovely squashy, touch sensitive solos.

If your budget isn't that high consider a HRDx, forget the dirt channel, 3,4 or 5 different dirt pedals and you'll be fine. Its too loud when at the sweet spot but a mild boost into the front sorts that out.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3962
    miserneil said:
    ICBM said:
    Mesa Trem-o-verb. 
    If I had a pound for every thread that @ICBM recommends a Mesa on, I'd be able to afford a Louis Electric. ;0)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Lebarque said:
    miserneil said:
    ICBM said:
    Mesa Trem-o-verb. 
    If I had a pound for every thread that @ICBM recommends a Mesa on, I'd be able to afford a Louis Electric. ;0)
    But you still wouldn't have as many as a Mesa weighs :).

They're very good amps. I admit they have a certain dark sound that some people dislike, and that they're badly overpriced new in the UK - but even at that almost all of them have feature sets and build quality that you won't find at the same time on almost any other amps.

I'm still not sure I'll sell mine, either - it's in the shop now, but if it doesn't sell in a couple of months I might start to miss it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1140
    i use a FX8 into a 1x12 JCM800 combo for function stuff, all on the clean channel (input) of the amp - very small portable rig, but can do anything