Keeley D&M Drive

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    clarkefan said:
    JMP220478 said:
    The TPS guys have built a brand and for me its logical that they will develop that by offering product - they could have been more cynical and put their name to any old crap n we would have berated them - so they team up with a world name in pedals and co-developed it and they get slagged cos its expensive but only in same space as similar products ie Wampler etc ..

Inevitably they are getting  the true british slagging they deserve cos theyre no longer working on a totally shoestring budget from the back of a shed and god forbid getting a modicum of success - how dare they !!

You have the option to vote or not  with your £'s n your viewing n likes/dislikes etc on social media - for me they've provided a different slant on product review, opened my eyes to effects, brands  and players ,I would never have bothered with and been genuinely entertaining at times - sure the formula may get tired n they'll either reinvent or someone else will take over - such is the short lived fame of social media .. but in the meantime good luck to them ... 
    I'll assume you're not referring to my comments.

I like the show, I learn a lot from Dan and enjoy his playing.

My comments were about charging that much for a distortion pedal.

Not an amazing combo amplifier, not an all - singing - all - dancing fx unit, not 6-8 hours of one to one lessons... a distortion pedal.  

Not just this one; any distortion pedal.
    But reality check, that's the way of the world. Yes you can buy a Katana for less, you can also easily spend several grand or more on a single channel valve amp (which is probably a better comparitor as Keeley is a US company, the Katana is more like a Mooer). 

Factor in the hideous exchange rate, take off VAT, shipping, dealer margins (in this case Mick and Dan) and you're left with a company trying to make a living by selling at what the market will tolerate.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Fair enough, each to his own of course.

My personal solution is a Marshall and an SD-1.  I get that people use dirt boxes with a clean amp, not my thing personally.  For me charging anything like £229 for a dirt box is incomprehensible at best.

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    clarkefan said:

My personal solution is a Marshall and an SD-1.  I get that people use dirt boxes with a clean amp, not my thing personally.  For me charging anything like £229 for a dirt box is incomprehensible at best.

A boss sd1 is made to a price point in a factory in China.  They also don't use the best quality components.  Keeley pedals are made in the US using higher quality components with tighter tolerances.  I can completely see why they end up costing so much more in wages alone.

Look inside a boss pedal then a keeley and you'll soon see the differences in parts and build quality.  
    Adam_MD said:
    clarkefan said:

A boss sd1 is made to a price point in a factory in China.  They also don't use the best quality components.  Keeley pedals are made in the US using higher quality components with tighter tolerances.  I can completely see why they end up costing so much more in wages alone.

Look inside a boss pedal then a keeley and you'll soon see the differences in parts and build quality.  
    Personally I'm interested in what comes out of the speakers.  Differences in parts and build quality, really?  Boss use shit parts and simultaneously Keeley doesn't?  You're questioning Boss build quality?  I can't speak for anyone else but I think you'd find that idea a hard sell.

It's moot anyway, my point was that in my opinion it is not a requirement to spend a shedload of money on dirt.

clarkefan said:

Personally I'm interested in what comes out of the speakers.  Differences in parts and build quality, really?  Boss use shit parts and simultaneously Keeley doesn't?  You're questioning Boss build quality?  I can't speak for anyone else but I think you'd find that idea a hard sell.

It's moot anyway, my point was that in my opinion it is not a requirement to spend a shedload of money on dirt.

I didn't say you had to spend a shedload of money I said I can see why there is such a price difference.  US vs China wages is a big factor.  Also yes there is a big difference in the parts used Boss are using lower spec parts which cost less to buy.  

It really isn't a moot point have a look and you can see the differences between them.  The last keeley I had used Epcos caps with a 5% tolerance, metal film resistors at 1% and audio grade electrolytic caps.  

The boss pedals I have in the house have carbon film resistors rated at 5%, Sanyo electrolytic caps and similarly cheap film caps.  The differences are there if you bother to look.  

Boss pedals sound good I'm not denying that but it's a fact they're much cheaper to make than a pedal made by Keeley in smaller numbers in the US.  

I seriously hope this doesn't come across rude, it's not meant to, but so what? To me all that matters is what I hear, and I can only assume something similar for most people.

Would players with a crap sounding pedal made of the best parts on the planet still use it, because it's made of the best parts on the planet?

I'm not promoting Boss, by the way, I only mentioned the SD-1 because that's what I personally like and use.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    No one is really slagging anyone. It's a hefty price to pay for a dirt pedal. They wouldn't do it unless they were making good money. Must be nice to enjoy playing and get paid for it; my job is a hell of a lot more stressful I can guarantee! 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I really like That Pedal Show. My missus is a teacher & even she finds Dan & Mick engaging & informative.

i think it's a good price. It
    looks a good design. Depending on how big it is, I may be tempted to try one out. 
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    This pedal is a bit meh...... I'm not a huge fan of Keeley (apart from their compressors) and the fact Keeley are still mounting the power to PCP at there £200-£300 price range seems cheap and unimpressive,  I'd recommend anyone to pay the extra £100-£150 and get a KOT anyday 
  • Hi Everyone, new to this board..
    Well, I bought one and it landed yesterday in Australia. It is a really nice pedal and replaces my Wampler Dual Fusion which cost more than the D&M. So first impressions are that I really like the pedal from the get go...
    I will be using it at rehearsal next week and live the week after, but I already like it.. a lot. Each voicing is really usable individually and when both are on, I prefer the the drive into the boost. Yes, it is a little pricey but cheaper than Wampler and some other high end dual pedals. You may laugh, but I also use the EHX Crayon, which is a super cheap dirt pedal. I totally love that pedal because it is absolutely transparent and allows the character of the guitar through really organically. Fabulous pedal! That would be a definite desert island pedal...
    So I now have 4 different flavours of crunch and dirt on my pedal board and they're all great.
  • absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
    Adam_MD said:
    clarkefan said:

I didn't say you had to spend a shedload of money I said I can see why there is such a price difference.  US vs China wages is a big factor.  Also yes there is a big difference in the parts used Boss are using lower spec parts which cost less to buy.  

It really isn't a moot point have a look and you can see the differences between them.  The last keeley I had used Epcos caps with a 5% tolerance, metal film resistors at 1% and audio grade electrolytic caps.  

The boss pedals I have in the house have carbon film resistors rated at 5%, Sanyo electrolytic caps and similarly cheap film caps.  The differences are there if you bother to look.  

Boss pedals sound good I'm not denying that but it's a fact they're much cheaper to make than a pedal made by Keeley in smaller numbers in the US.  

Yeah boss pedals break all the time...said no one ever ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Hi Everyone, new to this board..
    Well, I bought one and it landed yesterday in Australia. It is a really nice pedal and replaces my Wampler Dual Fusion which cost more than the D&M. So first impressions are that I really like the pedal from the get go...
    I will be using it at rehearsal next week and live the week after, but I already like it.. a lot. Each voicing is really usable individually and when both are on, I prefer the the drive into the boost. Yes, it is a little pricey but cheaper than Wampler and some other high end dual pedals. You may laugh, but I also use the EHX Crayon, which is a super cheap dirt pedal. I totally love that pedal because it is absolutely transparent and allows the character of the guitar through really organically. Fabulous pedal! That would be a definite desert island pedal...
    So I now have 4 different flavours of crunch and dirt on my pedal board and they're all great.
    Good to hear that it sounds good, I've been impressed by what I've heard so far on TPS. Would be interesting to hear your review after a rehearsal/gig too.
    Oh and @KenStratCustomShop welcome to the forum Mick (or Dan) ;-)

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Adam_MD said:

Yeah boss pedals break all the time...said no one ever ;-)
    @absolutpepper that's not what I said.  I said they used cheaper lower spec parts than Keeley pedals and the wages involved in making them were lower.  Both of those statements are correct.  
  • absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
    Was just teasing. I don't disagree with what you said @Adam_MD ;
  • thomholmesthomholmes Frets: 13
    I've just ordered one. Wanted something that sounded good with my tele and strat. Seems that this has the Klonny Side (my natural territory) but also a usable heavier side. That will be the make or break for me. I like That Pedal Show, Andertons etc and even though there may be some collusion, the sound they've got out of it made me want it. Sounds great. Will post a review when it comes Wednesday. 
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    cynical commercial opportunism.

At £230, I'd rather buy separate pedals.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• KozmykKozmyk Frets: 1
    TimmyO said:
    haha - excellent (although does it bother anyone else that they are the 'wrong' way around ? lol 

My first thought exactly....
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1209
    I thought PGS Andy's thumbnail (below) for the demo was amusing   :)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9707
    So, anyone used one of these ? Thoughts ?
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635