What octave pedal?

What's Hot
rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
Im after an octave pedal to give me that twin guitar sound during solos ala Lizzy and Maiden. I've never had one before so could do with a few suggestions. Dont want to spend loads of money on it tbh but needs to sound ok. Also, where do you put them, loop or up front?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    I tend to think of Lizzy and Maiden as harmonies rather than octaves
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Don't think an octave pedal is going to give you the desired effect. Take a look at the Digitech Luxe.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4635
    edited January 2017
    Have a look at pitch shifters

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Yeah the Boss Harmonist sounds good. Would the EHX Pitch Fork or POG do something similar?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73049
    rawk100 said:
    Yeah the Boss Harmonist sounds good. Would the EHX Pitch Fork or POG do something similar?
    The Pitch Fork can do harmonies, but with fixed intervals (ie not key-related) and the POG only does octaves. To do what you want, you need an intelligent pitch shifter or harmoniser which will follow the key you're playing in. Only the Boss Harmonist and the Digitech Harmony Man do that in a stand-alone pedal as far as I know, although there may be others.

If you want them to sound like a twin-guitar part you'll need to put them in the FX loop, after the amp distortion, so it sounds like two separate players with their own amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a Boss Hramonist and didn't like it, it was too processed sounding.  I know there will be an element of processing with these pedals, but the Boss one just had something about it I really didn't like.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73049
    I had a Boss Hramonist and didn't like it, it was too processed sounding.  I know there will be an element of processing with these pedals, but the Boss one just had something about it I really didn't like.
    Was that the original HR-2, or the PS-6 (or PS-5)? I hated the HR-2 as well. From what I've heard just trying one briefly the PS-6 sounds better, although I haven't used one properly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The Line6 M5 has a very decent intelligent pitch shifter. Decent tracking, not-awful tone and the ability to harmonise in several less commonly used scales- melodic and harmonic minor and whole tone scale.

All that *plus* good delays, reverbs, modulation, synth/filter and distortion effects for about £60 used...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.