NGD!

What's Hot
So, I have a try-out for a band on Tues, playing some riffy, grungy type stuff. I've got a Jazzmaster that would do the job, but it's really heavy and not especially suited for playing anything fast or technical (especially strung with 11s and a high action), so I've been lazily keeping an eye on ebay looking for something more 'rock'. Yesterday I noticed that one guitar had zero bids and no reserve in the last five mins, and was only half an hour away, so I chucked the starting bid down just to see...

And I won. An ESP LTD Viper 100, flametop trans red, in 9/10 condition, for £65!

http://i.imgur.com/rjnU5qG.jpg

I've never owned/played an SG type guitar before, but this'un has vibes of Kim Thayil's Guilds from the old Soundgarden videos. Haven't had a chance to plug it in yet though...
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Score!! My first ever electric was a Viper 50, and I currently have a Viper 256. I really like them.

A bargain at £65!

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749
    Noice!!  As long as the neck isn't wonky you can't go wrong for that price! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Noice!!  As long as the neck isn't wonky you can't go wrong for that price! 
    Neck seems to be absolutely fine; it was the ebayer's teenage son's, who looks like he'd taken care of it. It was on a stand when I went round to collect, next to a shiny blue Epi LP standard, so maybe he was just selling because he'd upgraded with xmas money or whatever.

The intonation is a bit skewiff, but I'll fix that when I restring it, as the strings on there now feel like floppy 9s. Otherwise it seems to be fine.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Nice. Good price.

And everyone knows that the SG is the coolest guitar shape of all time. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069
    Helluva score for 65 notes - enjoy!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2531
    Zoings! Wow awarded. What a steal!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2112
    @HarrySeven wont be happy...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nikko said:

Score!! My first ever electric was a Viper 50, and I currently have a Viper 256. I really like them.

A bargain at £65!

Do you have a hard case for yours? Do you know if it'll fit in a 'standard' SG style case?
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    No, I keep mine in a gig bag, but I did have a hard case when I had the Viper 50, and yes, it did fit in a standard case.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nikko said:
    No, I keep mine in a gig bag, but I did have a hard case when I had the Viper 50, and yes, it did fit in a standard case.
    Thanks!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    Congratulations, that looks like a steal!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2805
    Happy NGD, you lucky get.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2057
    Just the Bigsby to get then... B)

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 252
    Well done! Great bargain !  =)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Nicely done!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
    spark240 said:
    @HarrySeven wont be happy...
    Lol! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Quickly stopped off at the local small guitar shop on the way home, picked up some lemon oil, Fast Fret and a set of Rotosound Blues strings (10-52). Never used Rotos on guitar before (plenty on bass) so will see how they do (though having sealed polythene packets with no envelopes is all very well and good,  but what am I supposed to do with the advertised free extra 1st string?). Took the old strings off, polished, oiled, tried to set the intonation (difficult on an angled T-O-M bridge where you can't adjust saddles with the strings on!) and restrung; plays so much better now - fast, but still with something to dig into.

I have just been getting everything prepped for the try-out, and whereas my normal home-practice amp is an Orange Micro Crush, I thought I'd take the opportunity to run it through the pedalboard into my Laney Lionheart 20W head and 1x12. Even with the amp on the lowest volume possible, the Viper absolutely screams through my Double Muff, and kicking in the Little Big Muff makes chords sound chunky as anything. Really pleased with it so far!
  • Well done. For 65 quid it's a great gigging guitar. Enjoy !