Fret buzz

I've broken out my tele deluxe build that needs sorting out. The wiring needs redoing entirely, but the biggest issue is the fret buzz.

It's a squier tele neck, and the buzz is across all strings at various frets all up the neck. Does this need an adjustment of the truss rod, a change of nut or saddle height, or the frets relevelling? My immediate thought is truss rod, but any advice is welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    You say truss rod. How straight is the neck? I leave well alone if there's a gentle bow and only adjust if it's completely flat.
  • Could be any or all of the above.

I set my necks near flat, but not quite. Otherwise, the twelfth will buzz like hell.

But different frets suggests a full setup is in order - cut the nut, adjust truss rod then level the frets to suit.

It might be a much smaller job than it sounds :)
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1635
    Before you go messing with the truss rod, check how much relief is present.

Is the neck off a different guitar, was there fret buzz present on that one?

What's going on at the bridge, are you maxed out on the adjustment screws? Do the strings follow the radius of the frets?

Sometimes it can be as easy as raising the action a tad. If not, there are other steps.