Gibson Custom, Gibson Custom Shop, Gibson Memphis and Gibson USA - especially regarding es335s..

What's Hot
Am I wrong or are these really confusing? 

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Gibson Custom = the new standard range, made in memphis - with a certificate (not a 'custom shop')
Gibson Custom Shop = Nashville OR Memphis, separate smaller operations, within each plant - (Out of my budget)
Gibson Memphis = Same as "gibson custom"? 
Gibson USA = the old 'standard' range, made in nashville (supposedly better?) or memphis (pre memphis custom?)

In order of 2nd hand value then seem to go:

Gibson USA Memphis 
Gibson USA Nashville
"Gibson Memphis" 2009 onwards-ish
"Gibson Custom" made in Memphis
"Custom shop Memphis/ VOS"
"Custom shop nashville/ VOS historic etc etc

Are the older nashville ones comparable to "gibson custom" memphis ones or "memphis custom" ones? 

Its all VERY confusing. 

https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Buy the used one you like and can afford. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Buy the used one you like and can afford. 
    thats what i thought...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
    Agree it's confusing. How do you know you're paying the right price when you don't know what you're buying!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
    Agree it's confusing. How do you know you're paying the right price when you don't know what you're buying!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15429
    tFB Trader
    Am I wrong or are these really confusing? 

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Gibson Custom = the new standard range, made in memphis - with a certificate (not a 'custom shop')
    Gibson Custom Shop = Nashville OR Memphis, separate smaller operations, within each plant - (Out of my budget)
    Gibson Memphis = Same as "gibson custom"? 
    Gibson USA = the old 'standard' range, made in nashville (supposedly better?) or memphis (pre memphis custom?)

In order of 2nd hand value then seem to go:

Gibson USA Memphis 
    Gibson USA Nashville
    "Gibson Memphis" 2009 onwards-ish
    "Gibson Custom" made in Memphis
    "Custom shop Memphis/ VOS"
    "Custom shop nashville/ VOS historic etc etc

Are the older nashville ones comparable to "gibson custom" memphis ones or "memphis custom" ones? 

Its all VERY confusing. 

I agree with you - and add to that what looks to be a similar guitar can have a big variation in price, especially with various limited run models - You then end up running through google trying to find an old listing from when it was new to gather additional info and potential pricing - Yes somewhat of a minefield
  • "Gibson custom" memphis ones seem to range from 1500 to 2400 (the upper end must be people mistakenly thinking they're custom shop right?) And older nashville gibson usa models are up anywhere from 1400 to 2000 as well. 

The "gibson custom" / "Gibson memphis" ones all come with a certificate but technically arent a custom shop - a way for gibson to justify price bumps? Its defintely affected the 2nd hand market drastically.

5 years ago i bought a 2005 gibson usa with a headstock break for 900 and a 1990 les paul standard for 950. Now similar guitars are 1200/1500. That's a quicker rise than inflation correct? 

What with gibsons rocky future its probably a good idea to buy up good ones now right?

Just seems weird to be paying 1500 for something regularly sold for ~1000 5 years ago... 

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    If it ain't a Custom Custom Nashville Indiana Memphis Depay VOS Historic RI then it's not worth buying.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_ said:
    If it ain't a Custom Custom Nashville Indiana Memphis Depay VOS Historic RI then it's not worth buying.

...and then only if its one that uses the right glue.