Fender Mexican Stratocaster, made by Squier (1995-96)

What's Hot
Hey guys,

Any idea on the used values for one of these? A friend of mine has one she want's to sell, but struggling to get an idea of price. A brief look suggests £200 is a good area to start from, assuming it's in very good condition. Input gratefully received!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    From what I recall they're pretty low grade, ceramic pickups, cheap trapezoid tuners, slim pot metal trem block, generic cheap saddles, small pots. No idea on value, but £200ish doesn't sound unrealistic. You could do the usual list it on ebay at £750 starting price with the 'super rare, made with US parts, better than a US Custom shop, plays like buttahhh' bollox that I've seen with many 90's Mexican Fenders ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha, thanks for the input @Octafish ;
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    =)  You could also try searching/looking on the Strat-Talk forum, these have come up on there before and they probably have a better idea of value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1826

I've the tele variant. And it's actually my favourite guitar.

Hardware and pickups were indeed cheaper plus they had a single ply guard. Cracking necks on them though.

Price wise I've seen these go for around £200-£250. Some had squire on the end of the headstock, some didn't and most with squire on it have had that bit rubbed off !

Brand new in 1996 they were £199. So zero depreciation over 20 years isn't bad :)

• Pictures?

I have a Fender 'Squier Series" Mexican Strat from '95 and Tele from '96; I actually really like the necks on them.
  • gubble said:

Some had squire on the end of the headstock, some didn't and most with squire on it have had that bit rubbed off !

Two different models, same necks ;-)

The Mexican "Traditional" series were like a Mex Standard with a gloss neck and a couple of other bits changed, but Mex standard hardware. The Squier Series had the same necks with the extra decal, but basically had Squier loaded pickguards and cheaper hardware installed compared to the Traditional.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1826
    gubble said:

Some had squire on the end of the headstock, some didn't and most with squire on it have had that bit rubbed off !

Two different models, same necks ;-)

The Mexican "Traditional" series were like a Mex Standard with a gloss neck and a couple of other bits changed, but Mex standard hardware. The Squier Series had the same necks with the extra decal, but basically had Squier loaded pickguards and cheaper hardware installed compared to the Traditional.

That's really odd. My tele doesn't have a gloss neck, but has never had the squire logo at the end. Also has the trapezoid tuners, toploader bridge etc.

I'm guessing a lot of these were parts bin specials and some variation exists.

Still - mines a cracking tele.  

• @MattBanshee - I shall ask for some pics to be sent to me. @gubble - Thanks for the input mate.