Has anyone played an inexpensive Vox Phantom or Teardrop copy that was worth the bother?

What's Hot
valevale Frets: 1052
edited January 2017 in Guitar
clearly these guitars are the full-on sex. i probably slightly prefer the phantom over the teardrop but both supercool in every way. also super expensive for anything remotely original.

there have been quite a few copies & clones & tributes-to over the years but enthusiasm seems muted for any. there seems to be nothing i have come across that does the squier or epi thing (decent & affordable copy) for the voxes. either top end semi-custom or far-east disposable.

has anyone good or bad words to say about copies they have tried?

http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/graphics/vox65_6.jpg

http://www.vintageguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/3150/vox-08.jpg
hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Regardless of the price tag, trying to play one sitting down is a fruitless endeavour to say the least.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32390
    edited January 2017
    I haven't played a vintage one which was worth the bother tbh, I'd probably attempt to build something usable from Brandoni parts with a few choice upgrades.

http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk/vox.asp

EDIT; @Bucket they're pretty unbalanced standing up too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    The Revelations aren't bad for the money, the 12 string is surprisingly decent

For a mid range option, these seem interesting
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Pure Salem do one, I haven't tried it. Feedback seems somewhat mixed on there guitars though.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    There's one on the GAG Exchange on facebook right now for £200.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    I always thought they were crap in the 60's and still are if its any help .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ian Curtis responsible for 99.99% of all sales?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Ian Curtis responsible for 99.99% of all sales?
    Well there's Brian Jones, Tom Petty and Chris Martin too (for the Teardrop)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • As with a lot of vintage guitars, they were idiosyncratic and not built to a high standard. Looks are wonderful, but I'd want one with modern hardware.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited January 2017
    thanks for the feedback ppl. much appreciated.

thanks for the suggestion @p90fool i was thinking about an affordable change to my main, so squier or used squier prices. the brandonis look great though & i've had dealings with them for other odd vintage bits & have faith in what they do.

thanks @Moss revelations were ones i was  thinking about. i wondered if they might be more playable than the originals even. so much mid-range 60s gear looks great but is fat unplayable necks & no truss rod etc. i will seek out a revelation then.

thanks @Jack_ what is GAG exchange? it sounds potentially useful or erotic. i googled it and was disappointed twice.

thanks @GavRichList in part but not entirely. some spacemen 3 in there. & all those garage & pebbles beat-psych 60s bands who kind of become one idea. vox weirdness (& mad onboard effects) very time & place for late 60s garage. but i'm a massive joy division fan so Ian too.

thank @Ancient_Mariner that's why i was curious about a modern copy. being so-called fairer sex, huge clunky 60s necks not for small hands. & i would probably need hi-gain hums so would be shame to chop up an orignal, not that i could afford it.

http://www.voicesofeastanglia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/girl-and-voxmobile-704x400.jpg

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ancient_MarinerAncient_Mariner Frets: 24
    edited February 2017
    I don't recall many necks being especially chunky with 60s guitars, and the strange English designs weren't large at all (bit bland TBH).

Nice pic BTW. :)
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    I have a Revelation VTX64, looks great, good build, needed a set up a fret level to to get it playable, now it's a dream. Best looking Teardrop since the 60s I think, and better made than the Italian Voxes  - can't upload photos here? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom