Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Favourite Stratocaster 'in between' tone on record?

What's Hot
What's you favourite Fender Stratocaster 'in between' bridge and middle pickup tone?

Got to be Dire Straits 'Telegraph Road' for me, those opening finger picked notes at 1m 50s is a great Strat tone:

Closely followed by Derek & the Dominos 'Bell Botton Blues', those pinched notes in the solo are wonderful. This is the only Eric Clapton record I really like, it sounds sounds genuinely wrought with passionate feelings of infatuation and guilt for Patti Boyd.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's a sound I have a love/hate relationship. Those Clapton tones are great, as are SRV, but the OG has to be Hendrix.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Those, and The Edge on The Joshua Tree.

I'm not normally a fan of that sound at all - it could be my most-hated standard electric guitar tone, in fact - but those three examples are ok. Knopfler and Edge on anything, in fact.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Its the sound of satan's bowel movements after a particularly nasty Egg based curry... except Knopfler (although I can't help thinking that elements of Telegraph Road would sound better with a different sound).

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Sweet Home Alabama
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Alnico said:
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Good shout that.
  • Alnico said:
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Good choice. Very good! 
  • Alnico said:
    Sweet Home Alabama
    I prefer 'I Need You' from the Second Helping album with the Fender Twin tremolo.

• Great call on 'sweet home'! Fits that track perfectly. 
  • Normally I hate that sound with a passion, but I'm pretty sure that Big Star's September Gurls is the in-between tone, and I love that song.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What's you favourite Fender Stratocaster 'in between' bridge and middle pickup tone?

Got to be Dire Straits 'Telegraph Road' for me, those opening finger picked notes at 1m 50s is a great Strat tone:

At the risk of being called a pedant - Telegraph Road was recorded (and played live) on a Schecter Strat style guitar, with Schecter pick-ups. They sound 'much' fatter than vintage style Strat pick-ups. MK also switched to Mark Series Boogies for the Love Over Gold album and subsequent tour. I agree it's a great tone - but not one you'll get from a typical Fender.

I love the inbetween sound on 'Hey Nineteen' by Steely Dan - and the first Dire Straits album - Down to the Waterline in particular.
  • What's you favourite Fender Stratocaster 'in between' bridge and middle pickup tone?

At the risk of being called a pedant - Telegraph Road was recorded (and played live) on a Schecter Strat style guitar, with Schecter pick-ups. They sound 'much' fatter than vintage style Strat pick-ups. MK also switched to Mark Series Boogies for the Love Over Gold album and subsequent tour. I agree it's a great tone - but not one you'll get from a typical Fender.

I love the inbetween sound on 'Hey Nineteen' by Steely Dan - and the first Dire Straits album - Down to the Waterline in particular.
    Pedant

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlagg said:
    Pedant
    Lol. A fair point, well made.
  • Out of interest, what was it about the Schecter pickups? Were they active?

I had those F500T pickups in my schecter too. They are quite a lot darker than normal strat pickups - fine for clean but when using OD pedals I had to really crank the treble up to stop them sounding muddy. Probably says as much about my tonal limitations as a player! 
    I now have a tapped Oil City bridge pickup for grunt and two normal output ones in neck and middle for sparkle - seems to be a good compromise between fender and schecter type tones. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Out of interest, what was it about the Schecter pickups? Were they active?
    All you ever wanted to know...

http://www.mk-guitar.com/2011/01/10/inside-the-schecter-f500t-pick-up-what-is-a-tapped-pick-up/

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• @impmann - many thanks and an interesting one to ponder for future build ideas.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    Richard Thompson - Across A Crowded Room album
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Richard Thompson - Across A Crowded Room album
    A great choice - the follow-up Daring Adventures was superb too (I didn't  mention RT earlier for fear of ICBM wading in with how much he dislikes his tone.... :) )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Left field choice - warning superstrat

Steve Vai - Boston Rain Melody ( opening chord section ) ( one of my fave of all time ! )
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    edited February 2017

Excellent choices. Hey Nineteen is, in my opinion, a hugely underrated Steely Dan song. I think Gaucho might be, maybe, my favourite Steely Dan album (this afternoon, anyway)

Also great shouts for Sweet Home and much of Joshua Tree.

But Richard Thompson makes me want to stab myself in the ears with pointy things. Voice, guitar sound - can't abide it. Wish I did coz there's a ton of stuff and a great history / family tree. My loss, perhaps.