Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Favourite Stratocaster 'in between' tone on record?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32390
    Chuffola said:

But Richard Thompson makes me want to stab myself in the ears with pointy things. Voice, guitar sound - can't abide it. Wish I did coz there's a ton of stuff and a great history / family tree. My loss, perhaps.
    Mine too I'm afraid. I love the idea of Richard Thompson, but the sound of it just makes me feel queasy, like being stuck in a lift with the poet Ian McMillan.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Not much point having a Stratocaster if you don't like the in between sound. It's something no other guitar can do.
    It's the sound for people who think the bridge pickup is too shrill and ice picky.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Richard Thompson - Across A Crowded Room album
    A great choice - the follow-up Daring Adventures was superb too (I didn't  mention RT earlier for fear of ICBM wading in with how much he dislikes his tone.... :) )
    I thought if I didn't mention it first everyone else might just forget about it :).

Sassafras said:
    Not much point having a Stratocaster if you don't like the in between sound. It's something no other guitar can do.
    It's the sound for people who think the bridge pickup is too shrill and ice picky.
    Why, when the other three sounds are fantastic? The original ones, that Leo intended it to make...

It's the bridge/middle sound which is thin, clinky and generally irritating, not the bridge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    Chuffola said:

But Richard Thompson makes me want to stab myself in the ears with pointy things. Voice, guitar sound - can't abide it. Wish I did coz there's a ton of stuff and a great history / family tree. My loss, perhaps.
    Mine too I'm afraid. I love the idea of Richard Thompson, but the sound of it just makes me feel queasy, like being stuck in a lift with the poet Ian McMillan.
    Me too, love his acoustic songs, electric not so much. He's still a massive legend to me though and baca me so when I first heard about ' Red Molly 'and his mighty fine machine  B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    I love a lot of Richard Thompson's songs especially when covered by other people. Christy Moore's cover of Bee'swing is sublime. I remember thinking it was a good job I didn't take my wife along when I went to see him. Angular is probably a good description of his solos :)

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    Blackjack said:
    Alnico said:
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Good choice. Very good! 
    Out of interest, the urban myth on Sweet Home Alabama is that Ed King played a pre-cbs Strat through a Fender Tweed on the album recording.  In fact it was a 1972 Strat with bad pick-ups (very low output) that was played through a cranked 50w Marshall, not a Fender.  Useless piece of information number 457!  D
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    I'll add one to the list - Clapton's version of 'Lay down Sally'. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • The original studio version of 'Fate of a Fool' off J J Cale's '5' album's a cracker too. Doesn't seem to be on YouTube unfortunately....
  • Voxman said:
    I'll add one to the list - Clapton's version of 'Lay down Sally'. 

That's a great tone, but there is 2 guitars, one acoustic I think that fattens it up.