Electromatic G5435TG bridge questions

robertyroberty Frets: 10932
Picked up a Gretsch Electromatic G5435TG a few weeks back and it has been such a fun guitar to own and play, extremely well made and incredibly versatile.  Everyone should have one of these.

There are only a couple of little changes I plan to make.

The first is to fit a BricksBigsFix, which I ordered after reading @TheMarlin 's thread about it. 

The other thing is, the bridge appears to be slipping down gradually as I play.  So after a few days of playing the action will be too low and the strings will slap against the frets.  Is there an effective way to stop this happening?

If I were to replace the bridge, would any Tune-o-matic style fit?

Cheers 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Put a couple of rubber grommets under the bridge height wheels, that will stop it creeping down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    Don't use rubber, it'll absorb too much vibration, will deaden the sound.  Try metal washers.  Even better, try a Compton or Tru Arc Serpentune bridge.  

What exactly do you mean about the bridge slipping down.  Got a photo to illustrate your point?

Cheers

Marlin :)
    TheMarlin said:
    Don't use rubber, it'll absorb too much vibration, will deaden the sound.
    No it won't.

The bridge height wheels are still supported by the metal posts. All the rubber does is stops the wheels moving down them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    ICBM said:
    TheMarlin said:
    Don't use rubber, it'll absorb too much vibration, will deaden the sound.
    No it won't.

The bridge height wheels are still supported by the metal posts. All the rubber does is stops the wheels moving down them.
    Fair enough. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Thanks both. The bridge is moving towards the body of the guitar. I've had to raise it again every three or four days.

For replacements, can I just get any old TOM or are the dimensions different? 
    roberty said:
    Thanks both. The bridge is moving towards the body of the guitar. I've had to raise it again every three or four days.

For replacements, can I just get any old TOM or are the dimensions different? 
    It's likely that a replacement will do the same. Most aftermarket tune-o-matics don't have the wider post holes either - having looked at pics it's a far-east type tune-o-matic with the larger slotted posts where the whole thing turns rather than threaded wheels.

You don't need to replace the bridge, you just need to stop the height adjustment moving by itself.