Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

King of Tone, is it that good?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    As to what it offers that isn't already available - I guess you could ask that of almost any pedal! You either like it or you don't. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    clarkefan said:
    Thanks for understanding @Pete24v :)

Can I ask, what does something like a KOT offer players like yourself that isn't already immediately and flexibly available?

To me it sounds for all the world like a low gain overdrive and a boost in one pedal.

Surely overdrives and separate boosts of your choice are much more attractive?

Apparently you can even have KOTs modded to have separate pedal outputs... so it can behave like two separate pedals?

Leaving aside my personal musical tastes it's weird to me that people would want to tie an overdrive and a boost together in a single pedal, killing any choice as a result.

For me, it simply works well with all my amps.. I don't have to think too much about it, it's responsive to my guitar's volume etc. 

It's two low to mid gain pedals in one, I think with the dip switches inside you can remove some gain from and it increases the volume output turning it into a boost. I honestly can't remember what mine is set for inside, but I use the red side as overdrive and hit the yellow side as well for solos. If I want that just breaking up sound I use the yellow side on its own. 

Eq wise it sits in a band mix very well, I can always hear myself regardless of amp volume. 

Before using the KoT my set up for years was an xotic bb for drive and a TS modded for less mids as a boost. This combo worked fine, although I did swap out the TS for a a few other boosts (beano, bad bob, katana, Archer, ktr), but some just didn't work, they over compressed and did weird things to the low end. 

When the KoT arrived, I just didn't feel the need to try anything else. Both sides of it work great together. 

I did a few gigs with a classic rock trio and found the KoT a little thin in that situation, especially if the bass player didn't have his Ampeg svt  8x10 rig. So at that point I added a Gunshot & Peacekeeper.. And for the last year I've had all 4 of those on my board. 

While it was off my board for a while a friend of mine borrowed it and used it with his boogie... He hated it, really hated it lol, so much so he removed himself from the waiting list. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    edited February 2017
    I wonder if you can sell on your position in the waiting list if you decided you didnt want one after all (if it's high enough) – Like a Ferrari

Or simply transfer it if you felt generous enough LOL
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2269
    edited February 2017
    kjdowd said:
    As to what it offers that isn't already available - I guess you could ask that of almost any pedal! You either like it or you don't. 
    Last night my daughter's boyfriend, who plays a little electric guitar asked me what my pedals did. So I went through delays, wah, tremolo etc and he was looking impressed. So I then cycled through my kot  klon and fd2. He looked a little bemused. Essentially they all did the same thing and those 3 pedals are worth more than all the other pedals put together.

I think that many guitarists can be classified as collectors.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slacker said:
    kjdowd said:
    Last night my daughter's boyfriend, who plays a little electric guitar asked me what my pedals did. So I went through delays, wah, tremolo etc and he was looking impressed. So I then cycled through my kot  klon and fd2. He looked a little bemused. Essentially they all did the same thing and those 3 pedals are worth more than all the other pedals put together.

Yeah I think that can be truthly said. Personally it's usually one pedal out and another in if it's a similar pedal I already have. I still think the KOT could replace my cruiser Deuce but I'll never get rid of that until I'm absolutely sure. That too is an awesome pedal through my J20 which it should be of course ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    slacker said:
    kjdowd said:

Possibly, yeah. I also think it's what makes you feel good when you play and sometimes "home playing" makes us focus on the nuances that just don't matter in performance or rehearsal. Having said that, I gig and get a good sound from what I've got and it makes me happy, so....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2269
    kjdowd said:
    slacker said:
    kjdowd said:

Possibly, yeah. I also think it's what makes you feel good when you play and sometimes "home playing" makes us focus on the nuances that just don't matter in performance or rehearsal. Having said that, I gig and get a good sound from what I've got and it makes me happy, so....
    Wisdom given. Ironically I mainly play out with an acoustic or archtop straight into the amp. Still not selling my overdrives through. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    timhulio said:
    There's also the problem of making it known that this is a clone of a pedal (admittedly a discontinued one) made by a company still in existence. Probably tricky without pissing Marshall off, especially with a larger-scale production run.
    But Marshall have no interest in competing with other makers anymore. They do headphones & fridges. They've surrendered the reissue market for Classic pedals to the boutique guys.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Let's face it, all overdrives sound exactly the same apart from the Way Huge Pork Loin, obviously.
     :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    For me its about the feel the KOT gives that i havent found in many other pedals. It really feels like a cranked amp and really responds if you dig in, you can also do the roll back the volume for an amazing clean tone thing too. For those who think the price is a little high on the KOT i would highly suggest the Prince of Tone if you can find one!! a really versatile and amazing pedal for the price and close (ish) tones to a KOT think i picked one up for £130 and personally i think its better than anything else out there for the £100-£200 price range
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
    WTB King of Tone......10months into the queue!!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    Reading through and i wonder if most run the KOT into a clean amp? Anyone using it into a edge of breakup amp?
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    My Fender concert is always played on the edge of breakup, and the KoT works great into it.. I do pull the gain down to half way in that amp to compensate. 

I run it into cleaner/louder amps, which I personally prefer.