Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Where are all the 'good' new albums these days?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Dopesick said:
    Should be catching the John Garcia Band at Desertfest in a couple of months. His old band Slo Burn are playing on the Friday as well but I won't be there.
    Wtf?  Slo Burn?  Not a name I have read in a long time. 

IMO the second Unida album is as good as any Kyuss album.  A real shame it was never properly released.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    IMO the second Unida album is as good as any Kyuss album.  A real shame it was never properly released.  
    I've never heard it.  Presumably I could find it as a dodgy download somewhere, but I'm always a bit wary of such things....
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2941
    Reverend said:
    TTBZ said:
    For me, bands such as Clutch, QOTSA, Mastodon, Wolf Alice and Whores have put out some very memorable stuff that will stand the test of time. At least for my musical tastes.
    The first Queens album is killer but after that it's lots of filler. 

I can't help thinking about how good kyuss were whenever I here them 
    My favourite are Like Clockwork and Them Crooked Vultures is better than almost all the QOTSA stuff. Guess that's just the nature of taste eh. 

I agree there's some filler on the albums but Songs for the Deaf and Like Clockwork 100% brilliant imo. 

I never really got into Kyuss.
  • What I don't like about modern rock music is that it is usually either too heavy (I hate really high gain sounds), there are people screaming rather than singing, or that they use the generic rock vocal where everyone sounds the same.

The most recent artist I enjoy is Jack White, I like the Raconteurs, the White Stripes and his Solo career, but not so much the Dead Weather.

Outside of Rock, I recently started enjoying Country/Folk, although there are very few good artists there.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2950
    To be fair Kyuss were a different band to QOTSA in a lot of ways. QOTSA disposed of much of the jam and stoner vibes that Kyuss had, and it made it a lot more radio-friendly.

It is a bit of a tragedy that Garcia never had as much success though.

@earwighoney I'm going on a hunt for the second Unida album now. I loved the first one.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Bidley said:
    To be fair Kyuss were a different band to QOTSA in a lot of ways. QOTSA disposed of much of the jam and stoner vibes that Kyuss had, and it made it a lot more radio-friendly.

It is a bit of a tragedy that Garcia never had as much success though.

@earwighoney I'm going on a hunt for the second Unida album now. I loved the first one.
    If you find it, let us know please... :)
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited February 2017
    'Blues for the red sun'-kyuss
    All the later Kyuss stuff pales in comparison imo.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2941
    What I don't like about modern rock music is that it is usually either too heavy (I hate really high gain sounds), there are people screaming rather than singing, or that they use the generic rock vocal where everyone sounds the same.

The most recent artist I enjoy is Jack White, I like the Raconteurs, the White Stripes and his Solo career, but not so much the Dead Weather.

Outside of Rock, I recently started enjoying Country/Folk, although there are very few good artists there.
    You might want to look at some stoner rock (don't really like that label but it is what it is) bands - Stoned Meadow of Doom on youtube is a good channel to check out. Lots of good riffs and songs plus good (usually) fuzzy 70s style guitar tones! 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5115
    TTBZ said:
    What I don't like about modern rock music is that it is usually either too heavy (I hate really high gain sounds), there are people screaming rather than singing, or that they use the generic rock vocal where everyone sounds the same.

You might want to look at some stoner rock (don't really like that label but it is what it is) bands - Stoned Meadow of Doom on youtube is a good channel to check out. Lots of good riffs and songs plus good (usually) fuzzy 70s style guitar tones! 
    Or see the list I posted on the first page. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3074
    What I don't like about modern rock music is that it is usually either too heavy (I hate really high gain sounds), there are people screaming rather than singing, 

http://i43.tinypic.com/244pj6b.jpg

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    edited February 2017
    If you like a Sabbath vibe, Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats' 2011 LP, 'Blood Lust' is great. I didn't like their subsequent albums as much though. If you like the idea of the Beatles or maybe Noddy Holder singing over Sabbath type riffs, I can recommend it.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2950
    @olafgarten check out Horisont.
  • Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a listen to these. 

I think as said before is that Albums as a whole aren't thought about, in the past the artists tried to push the album as a whole package, Abbey Road being the most prominent example. Now, people have a few good songs and a lot of filler. 

The lastest rock album I can listen to without skipping a song is Jack White's Lazaretto, even Blunderbuss before that has Love Is Blindness, which isn't a bad song, but not one I ever feel like listening to. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    This thread set me out on a wee quest for similar stuff that I'd never really looked for before.

My brother recommended "Gods & Godesses" by Brant Bjork. I think he was the drummer from Kyuss? Anyway, it's ace so far. Check it out.

Andy

andyp said:
    This thread set me out on a wee quest for similar stuff that I'd never really looked for before.

My brother recommended "Gods & Godesses" by Brant Bjork. I think he was the drummer from Kyuss? Anyway, it's ace so far. Check it out.

Andy

Kyuss and Fu Manchu. Che - Sounds Of Liberation is also worth a listen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Ah, I like Fu Manchu as well. This explains it a bit. Those boys from Kyuss have some legacy don't they?!
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    I saw Brant Bjork & The Bros in the early 2000s, at was used to be the Metro club in London. Good little gig.
    My old band supported them at the Underworld in 03 or 04. They were great and he is a really nice fella.