Amp chassis

I want to build a variant of a Marshall 2204 with reverb into a small box chassis. The reason I want it to be in a smallbox chassis is I already have a Ceriatone 1987 in a smallbox chassis for which I have both a 2x12 combo and a headshell so it saves me making another shell.

So where would I go to get a customised chassis with 4 nonal tube socket holes and a single input jack hole and 2 or 3  more pot holes? I will move the main power switch to the rear, standby on the front, Carling not the plastic rocker versions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    I should mention I asked Modulus and they can, but it'll be £100 for a one off. Would like to get cheaper, might even get two if the second isn't much extra.
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 147
    edited January 2014
    It might be easier to buy a blank chassis and punch/drill your own holes. I think valvepower do them, heres their ebay link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-Amp-Chassis-blank-for-JTM45-Marshall-and-others-/261358281403
    I just know I will make a crap job of all the cutouts. Dont' have a pillar drill or any of those special hole cutters (what are they called the ones that work like a circluar guilotine?), or a nibbler.

Dont think those eBay chassis' have welded corners by the look of them.
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 147
    edited January 2014
    @hywelg I think your right, they're just folded. I've bought a jtm chassis from www.tube-town.net. I'll have to unpack it and see if its welded - will let you know.

If youve got a steady hand you might get away with a step drill for some of the holes, drill the pilot holes and the step bit does the rest.
    And ikea do this - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/28512100/ which might work for the octal sockets and then throw it away (it may work on aluminium)
    or
    you might find a small engineering firm local to you to do one (or two) to your design

Ive just noticed your local to me so if you need a step bit you can borrow/have one from me. I've got hole punches somewhere too.
    I have a set of step bits, the Q-Max cutters seem quite cheap now, I remember them being £30-40 each years ago (and called something else I think). Max thickness in Aluminium is 2mm though, so borderline. Compressed air nibblers are quite cheap also.

Could do with a CAD drawing of a true Marshall Smallbox size/layout so I could mod and set about getting an engineering firm to make. That would then make getting faceplates made very much easier also.

• RockerRocker Frets: 5030
    hywelg said:
    I just know I will make a crap job of all the cutouts. Dont' have a pillar drill or any of those special hole cutters (what are they called the ones that work like a circluar guilotine?), or a nibbler.

Dont think those eBay chassis' have welded corners by the look of them.
    There must be an engineering shop near where you live.  Any guy there would drill the holes for you on his lunch break.  Slip him a tenner for a drink...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum