Metal film stapled to amp head under the amp chassis

What's Hot

I'm retolexing a JCM style head shell and have to remove a fairly thin metal film/sheet stapled to the head under where the amp chassis sits.

I haven't opened up too many amps so not sure of the importance of this bit.  I presume it must be for some kind of shielding but if I damage it when taking it off (which I think is definately going to happen) do I need to replace it and where could I find a replacement?

Thanks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    It's shielding. If you damage it, you could probably find a replacement in one of the drawers of your kitchen. ;)
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    B&Q sell sheets of 0.5mm aluminium that you can cut with scissors and staple in.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1675

Doesn't have to be ally, thin tinplate or galvo' will work just as well. B&Q are a bit pricey for metal, try car body shops and builders.

Also make D.D.Sure to get the front and back edges tight down. If they "pick up" on the chassis it can be a reet bugger to get out!

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    ecc83 said:

Doesn't have to be ally, thin tinplate or galvo' will work just as well. B&Q are a bit pricey for metal, try car body shops and builders.

Also make D.D.Sure to get the front and back edges tight down. If they "pick up" on the chassis it can be a reet bugger to get out!

Worse than that, if it gets rucked up inside the chassis as you slide it into the head box, you can get all sorts of fantastic fireworks when you turn on - highly not recommended! Seen that happen a couple of times with Fenders where they stick it (badly) to the end walls of a combo cabinet as well as the top… right next to the mains switch and fuse holder etc.

I would prefer to use a rigid sheet rather than foil for this reason alone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Thanks guys.  Got the sheet off and looks like this:

Not ripped or anything but quite a few holes and bumps so might have problems taking the amp out so will just get a new sheet.

tFB Trader

No, it doesn't have to be ally, but ally is easier to work, and easier to staple, and it won't rust, and it looks nicer IMO. Forward metals are my favourite supplier actually, rather than B&Q, but neither's that expensive. They will do you a sheet big enough for the Marshall, and even cut it to size for you, free.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Sheet-0-5mm-thick-various-sizes-1050A-H14-cutting-service-available-/161058396343?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&var=460186678498&hash=item257fd418b7

But no, it doesn't have to be ally. You could flatten out a few old powdered egg tins...worked in Stalag Luft III.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360

Thanks for the advice.  Does it need to be any particular powdered egg?  :D

My dad has some 1mm aluminum sheet that I can use, so will give that a try.

tFB Trader

Actually, it was powdered milk: