Banner advert blocking part of the page

Is anybody else seeing a banner ad for The Guitar Show superimposed over the top part of each page?

I can't actually see why I'm typing in the subject line... as it's blocked out by the ad.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No and I've never seen any banner ads on the forum, to my understanding they aren't supposed to be there either 
  • It looked weird earlier, I guess it was being tinkered with. Using a mobile now (but viewing the full site version) and the two parts cross over each other. 
  • I'm on mobile on mobile version.

Just checked full site version on mobile (iPhone 6 on safari, latest update) and get the same overlapping 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27728
    Mobile version of the site on a mobile device works fine.

Full version of the site on a mobile device fails on many levels, as you'd expect really?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    Mobile version of the site on a mobile device works fine.

Full version of the site on a mobile device fails on many levels, as you'd expect really?

The OP doesn't say which version he's viewing, but I noticed it looking weird for a brief time on the full site via a PC earlier, but now it looks lovely and I have no issues with the site looking like that for a few days.

I guess I sent the discussion in a different direction by mentioning viewing the full site on a mobile, so sorry if you took that as a complaint, it wasn't. 

• Sorry.... should've said... viewing on a PC.

Banner is still there... and it covers the first part of the first post on every thread... so it makes the threads unreadable.

I'll try rebooting my PC to see if that clears it.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27728

Sorry.... should've said... viewing on a PC

Can you let us know what OS, browser and screen res that you're using?

I've checked it on a few combinations and all looks OK, but can't cover all the possible combinations, so might be something odd going on ....
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Tried rebooting. Still got the same problem.

OS = Windows 7

Browser = Internet Explorer 11

Res = 1920 x 1080

The banner ad gives the name of the exhibition (plus date and location) and includes a direct link to the exhibition website.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26819
    edited February 2017
    Can you give us a screenshot? Also, have you tried refreshing a few times, as instructed in the sticky?

My suspicion is that your browser hasn't caught up with all the changes, and is showing the new header HTML but with the old stylesheet because it hasn't realised there's a new one.
    <space for hire>
  • I think I've sussed out what the issue is.

Each time I refresh a page, the Guitar Show banner appears top right (where I guess it should be).... then, my security software checks the security of the weblink inside the banner and places a large 'security rating icon' in place of the banner - and moves the banner down so that it now obscures the first part of each thread. Not sure it's something I can easily change.

• That's even weirder. Could you get me a screenshot? Also, which security software is it? That's obviously not something we want to happen, so if there's a way to structure the HTML such that it doesn't happen then I'd much rather spend a bit of time sorting it out.
    <space for hire>
  • On a desktop currently and everything is fine
  • I've disabled that feature in my security software... and it all looks fine now.

Apologies for wasting your time. :-(

• I've disabled that feature in my security software... and it all looks fine now.

Apologies for wasting your time. :-(

Not a waste, really. We need to know these things - even if you've solved it yourself, we know that there's a problem if it occurs again in the future.

Rarely is information useless :)
    <space for hire>