Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitars that caught your eye as a kid.

What's Hot

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Philly_Q said:
    That's exactly the same as the one I had. As a teenage guitar fetishist I was into Ibanez Artists so much - I think coz Dave Brock of Hawkwind played one at the time - and double-cut LP types (although I always found Yamaha SGs to be 'not quite right'). I remember trying one of the Ibanez Bob Weir ones once... gorgeous but way out of my league. I finally got a secondhand one like this but stupidly sold it a couple of years later.

Other faves were the ubiquitous Ric 4001 and 360/12. But my initial object of guitar lust was the Gibson Les Paul. I always wanted one and am proud to say that to this day, I have never owned one!

@vale nice to see Trish Keenan getting a mention. I put her forward for 'Greatest Female Singer' but nobody bit!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    When I were a lad (early 70s), Fender Strats (when LPs or Glam monstrocities were de riguer). Think solo Eric had a lot to do with the shift in fashion back to the Strat. Just like in the 90s/00s you couldn't get arrested with a LP, then Strats were not cool (and Teles were for C&W - Punk changed that).

I was unhealthily attracted by neon & plasticene Ibanezes later in life, and when older to know better =)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 461
    edited February 2017
    For me it's got to be James Dean Bradfield or The Edge's white Les Paul custom, what an absolutely gorgeous guitar, I obsessed over his guitar for years. I never could afford one but my parents bought me this a substitute, awful neck and bloody heavy but I miss it. I think I managed to bash out motorcycle emptiness on it with my marshall shredmaster pedal 

https://goo.gl/images/1SSylU

I remember watching the manics on the Naked City/Butt Naked show in about 94, the Holy Bible era was bloody awesome time to be a manics fan.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/1200x675/p01hz72n.jpg

https://goo.gl/images/scGVH7

• Philly_Q said:
    Yes, this.... I covered my High school French textbook with pages from the 1983/4 Ibanez catalogue, this pushed all my buttons.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    edited February 2017
    That JDB white LP looks monstrously thick ! o  (What happened to the video ?)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    edited February 2017

For me it was either the chrome plated JS2...

Image result for ibanez js2

or this...

Image result for dean from hell

...or this

Image result for slash bc rich mockingbird

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Steve Vai's Jem 777. The flowery one. 

Have never actually owned anything like it but I wanted it very badly when it came out. 
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited February 2017
    My first love was a Wine Red 1978 Les Paul Deluxe, just like this one...

http://imgur.com/WqGBZWO

...that hung on the wall of Bonners in Silverhill, Hastings, in the early 80's.  I worked in a shop two doors up at the time - and I used to go and see it nearly every lunchtime ...hopefully in a not too annoying fashion!

Anyway, I saved and saved and saved from that hateful little job - and, eventually, when I was just a hundred quid short, THEY SOLD IT TO SOMEONE-ELSE!!!

I'd still like one, to be honest, but I've subsequently fallen for a goldtop version of that guitar and that would take preference if I had the opportunity ...and the cash.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    I remember lusting after a Parker Fly and Ibanez Jem

I settled for a Jackson 

None of those are my cup of tea at all now :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    These seemed mystical and magical when was 15 and were pawed over endlessly in the gatefold...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5c/bf/5f/5cbf5f5b91bee4ec25cd65f849d1b234.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I grew up when Gibsons were fairly rare over here.  I fell in love with an SG in cherry red in a secondhand shop, we would go in after school and drool over it, thing is it wasn't even a Gibson, it was an Avon copy. Then there appeared a proper SG in town, it was in a typical 70's music shop ( pianos, brass, organs, stringed instruments, sheet music etc..) It was kept in a glass case and was out of reach. Got one I love now. Then there was my first sighting of an ebony Les Paul Custom , that another story. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5882
    edited February 2017
    My first fascination with a Guitar was this one.

Brian May with Red Special

However, when I first started playing Guitar as a kid, it was the Mid 80's, so I also loved the Charvel and Jackson Super Strats, like this one.

Jackson strat made in usa 1987

I like traditional Guitars now, I must be mellowing in old age.

^That isn't my Jackson BTW ^

It's just what I liked when I was a Rawk Kid in the 80's. I am not Brian May either .
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3823
    edited February 2017
    Stevepage said:
    I had a Marty Friedman obsession, so @Stevepage beat me to it.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited February 2017
    Nothing glamorous but still out of this world beautiful to me, although I first saw it in the hands of Gary Moore. I've been in love with the Les Paul ever since.

https://i.imgur.com/I4W3tk5.jpg
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Between this and the pointy shred machines and Dave Murrays Strat and Adrian Smiths Jacksons I think I have enough guitar lust to last a lifetime.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    This guitar (and player) were a massive inspiration for me to start playing...

Then once I had the bug, I spent months looking at this page in my mums Kays catalogue...£149.99...A BLOODY FORTUNE!!

Then, for a while (no thanks to this poster) I wanted a Sambora Strat....then, more in keeping, a James Burton Tele....

And all of my mates who had started to learn guitar at school had on of these on their bedroom wall....

Usually next to one of these....

But the JOY of getting a new one of these seemed to surpass it....

And then I saw one of these.....and it was all over! I was lucky enough just last year to be able to afford this '56....

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • No contest. I've lusted after this same guitar for 20 years.

Same for me - my first electric was a V as a result, I'd love one of the 83's one day!
  • Hmmm

Flying V or Explorer
    ibanez jem 777 floral
    kramer nightswan
    washburn ec29
    fender HM strat
    washburn kc90

were the shredders I'd love but a few other I remember wanting

a double bound tele (the INXS Kick thing I think)
    a cherry Tokai SG I saw in a shop in Southampton
    hohner gt3 & jack headless guitars.
    and I remember playing a prototype Patrick Eggle at the Music Fair at Olympia and being blown away by it.

i never really liked strats or Les Pauls as they seemed old fashioned, especially the les Paul.

Now my main guitar... A Les Paul R8.  

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1097
    Mid late 80's was when i started to lust after guitars 99% of them from the pages of US Mag's Guitar F.T.
    P.M & Guitar World

Over the past few years ive picked up a number of them as re-issues inc stuff like a BC Mockingbird/Gunslinger,Ibanez RG3XXV as well as a few org from the 80's inc a few Carvin's and one of these

A HM Strat which i picked up last week (even tracked down the same strap!)

Still on my GAS/wants list would be a Carvin ST300 or the re-issue JB200/JB200 Numbers (a copy of JB's never manufactured Peavey Sig)