Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Patrick Eggle Guitars vs Patrick James Eggle

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
edited February 2017 in Guitar
I posted this question in the Guitar show thread but thought it worthy of a thread of it's own.

I'm a bit confused. So what's the story with Patrick Eggle guitars and Patrick James Eggle guitars? Gonna be a conflict there I'm sure as both didn't really want to talk much about the other luthier. Personally though I thought the Patrick Eggle Guitars (and have done so for quite a few years now) are lovely guitars etc. Don't know much about Patrick James Eggle though.

Anyone shed any light on what happened ?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Patrick Eggle sold his name - the brand name - with the original company.

When he returned to commercial guitar building, he had to find a different name.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think he moved to America when he sold up and then built acoustics for a bit and then came back and started making electrics again. All very hazy in my memory
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    It's like Paul Smith suits and Paul Reed Smith suits I think

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes I did get that much out of them that they were once connected in some way. I think if the original Patrick Eggle company are to compete he'll need to get his website updated etc. For that kind of money it would be first on my list. Quite a leap of faith for anyone buying IMO. Which would be me if I had £4K to spend on a guitar. Lovely lovely guitar but 4K. Have I mentioned that already I mean 4K ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    I didn't realise Patrick Eggle guitars were still in business.  They couldn't be more under the radar if they tried.
  • Philly_Q said:
    I didn't realise Patrick Eggle guitars were still in business.  They couldn't be more under the radar if they tried.
    I agree. Which made me think how he's marketing himself if he is at all? I'd buy off him but he can't command those prices without doing a bit of promoting / marketing 
    Philly_Q said:
    I agree. Which made me think how he's marketing himself if he is at all? I'd buy off him but he can't command those prices without doing a bit of promoting / marketing 
    Patrick Eggle guitars isn't "him" - it's his old company which he sold many years ago.

Patrick James Eggle is his current business.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    Philly_Q said:
    From what I understand Patrick James Eggle can command those prices as he has a solid reputation within the industry. People go to him to get what they want - he doesn't need to seduce customers through advertising.

Patrick Eggle guitars (his old company) -I'm surprised they are still going. I checked though and they are.

All very confusing stuff if you don't know the history...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Patrick Eggle guitars isn't "him" - it's his old company which he sold many years ago.

Patrick James Eggle is his current business.
    Yeah I get that. Just wondering how he can command those prices now now that Patrick James Eggle doesn't make them anymore. So who is?
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Yes, he couldn't have made it more confusing if he tried.

And agree he does make some lovely guitars.
    edited February 2017
    Companies House tells me that Patrick Eggle Guitars Ltd is now owned by someone called Gordon Tilley.

I don't know if he's the guy who originally took over when Patrick Eggle himself left in the '90s, I think it changed ownership more than once. At one point they had a joint venture with Gary Levinson of Blade Guitars and (I think) both brands were made in the same factory, briefly. And former Trapeze/Uriah Heep singer Peter Goalby was involved in the management of the Eggle company for a while.

• blobbblobb Frets: 3274
    Yes, as Philly says. Gordon Tilley owns the Patrick Eggle 'brand'. Good quality guitars, I have one of the first 'Tiggles', the cross over between the last Eggles and first Tiggles is slightly cloudly but there are some distinguishing features that set them apart (serial no on the jack plate for starters = Tiggle). Sure RevMatt will be along at some point to clarify. Pat is back in Oswestry making PJE guitars.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • A few on eBay but not reaching great values going by the history on eBay sales. The best investment as I thought not as good as if Patrick James Eggle was involved. Just goes to prove 'brand' only doesn't always work. My god how I lusted over these guitars in the past but now a bit jaded :(
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6329
    tFB Trader
    A few on eBay but not reaching great values going by the history on eBay sales. The best investment as I thought not as good as if Patrick James Eggle was involved. Just goes to prove 'brand' only doesn't always work. My god how I lusted over these guitars in the past but now a bit jaded :(
    I have a couple of the new  patrick James eggle  guitars, patrick is a fantastic guy to deal with and I love what he does, I think there are a few customers of his on the fretboard too. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • They are indeed @ThorpyFX I tried a couple today. Also like the feel of the other Patrick Eggle too. I'm not in the market for either though ... yet. But always like to understand the differences when it comes to big money they command ;)
  • The original Eggle line was nice. But somewhat derivative of PRS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I've had one on order for a ridiculous amount time due to it being misbuilt.

To say I'm not particularly happy with the service would be an understatement.

It really best turn out something special.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3274
    edited February 2017
    This is my Tiggle, for ref, bought from TMC when they were selling off their stock of Eggles:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/blobb1/R0014674.jpg

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    DanR said:
    I've had one on order for a ridiculous amount time due to it being misbuilt.

To say I'm not particularly happy with the service would be an understatement.

It really best turn out something special.
    "Old" Eggle, or PJE?
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    New PJE.