Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Patrick Eggle Guitars vs Patrick James Eggle

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• The original Eggle line was nice. But somewhat derivative of PRS.
    That was on the lines that Patrick Eggle the original company said to me ;) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited February 2017
    @DanR   Interesting... that's a different real-world perspective after the glowing PJE reviews I've read in Guitarist.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Interesting... that's a different real-world perspective after the glowing PJE reviews I've read in Guitarist.
    Aren't these reviews in such magazines paid for? So not always to be believed whole heartedly. This is why I always try before I buy if possible 
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    edited February 2017
    It was ordered last June.

Guutar got routed for Trem when it's supposed to be a hardtail.

I know the body is done as I've had pics but it's waiting on a neck last thing I heard.

But I kinda feel I went to the back of the queue when I think it should of been looked as a priority.

https://imgur.com/a/g08wZ
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Philly_Q said:
    Interesting... that's a different real-world perspective after the glowing PJE reviews I've read in Guitarist.
    Aren't these reviews in such magazines paid for? So not always to be believed whole heartedly. This is why I always try before I buy if possible.
    I have tried and gone on to buy, more than once. The PJE guitars I've played have been uniformly excellent as has the service I have received.
  • TTony said:
    Patrick Eggle sold his name - the brand name - with the original company.

When he returned to commercial guitar building, he had to find a different name.
    /\ This.

When Patrick Eggle sold his original Company, he also sold the Name as well, so he could not use it when he returned to Guitar Making with his own ID - hence Patrick James Eggle for his Guitars these days. It does, of course, mean that there are old Patrick Eggle Guitars in existence, which were made when the original Patrick Eggle Company was still owned by him.
  • I think we are all missing the important question here - Is James actually his middle name? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    Philly_Q said:
    Aren't these reviews in such magazines paid for?
    That really is a myth, there's plenty of people on here who have had stuff reviewed (myself included).
  • dindude said:
    Philly_Q said:
    That really is a myth, there's plenty of people on here who have had stuff reviewed (myself included).
    I know I wasn't pointing fingers of course. It's just that you never hear a bad review though do you in these magazines so I take them tongue in cheek first of all until I hear actual users singing the praises. Then I hunt it down and try to demo it myself
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    edited February 2017

mellowsun said:
    It's like Paul Smith suits and Paul Reed Smith suits I think

Precisely, albeit not the same product those. There must have been a bit of conflict with them both being at the same show. I wouldn't want to buy a Patrick Eggle (if I had the money) now if the actual Patrick Eggle didn't make it himself. I know it's a brand thang but if one bought the brand Fender or Gibson for example you wouldn't expect a certain named person to be soldering or building them. The boutique world is different IMO and is more of a personal thing i.e. speaking, emailing, texting, dealing with the actual builder etc. Or am I deluded? 
  • dindude said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I know I wasn't pointing fingers of course. It's just that you never hear a bad review though do you in these magazines so I take them tongue in cheek first of all until I hear actual users singing the praises. Then I hunt it down and try to demo it myself
    I know in the past folk from the magazines have said they feel there's no point in publishing a review of something that's terrible, so you only see products that are fairly good and above. They must tread a fine line with advertisers though ( although PJE's contribution to the Guitarist advertising budget must be pretty small if it exists at all). 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    dindude said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I know you weren't pointing fingers, my point was that some people here have been through the review "process" and I personally was quite surprised how independent it was, and I think I got one email on the back of it asking if I wanted to advertise, which I said no to, no further hassle.

It's that classic line that there is no really bad gear these days, so most things are worth 3.5 stars before you start. I would also hope that if they absolutely hated my product and thought it was a POS, they would inform me first and let me pull out of the process (and take some feedback) rather than run a 3/10 review and ruin  a small business. I'm sure this does happen from time to time.

It's funny, the one place I have always been suspicious of is the online Tone Report, but I looked up a review of the Dod Gunslinger yesterday as some on here were enjoying it, and they gave it a really poor review, whilst seeking out all of the positives as well. This is a good example of how bad a review gets, I.e. not very but you read between the lines and reviewer leaves it as "I couldn't make it work for me". Negative journalism would get tiresome very quickly.

But yes, reviews are only one thing to go by, user reviews and trying it out is the best thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    If it were me, which its not (!), Id order from the man himself... the new PJE.

The Macon on his website looks gorgeous.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    EricTheWeary said: NJ
    I know in the past folk from the magazines have said they feel there's no point in publishing a review of something that's terrible, so you only see products that are fairly good and above. 
    Yes, I know that Guitarist magazine once refused to review some Gordon Smith guitars as they weren't good enough.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    FWIW I think the new PE guitars play and sound great but visually are really not my bag at all. The newer designs of PJE are far more appealing and obviously play superbly too.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    dindude said:
    dindude said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I know you weren't pointing fingers, my point was that some people here have been through the review "process" and I personally was quite surprised how independent it was, and I think I got one email on the back of it asking if I wanted to advertise, which I said no to, no further hassle.

It's that classic line that there is no really bad gear these days, so most things are worth 3.5 stars before you start. I would also hope that if they absolutely hated my product and thought it was a POS, they would inform me first and let me pull out of the process (and take some feedback) rather than run a 3/10 review and ruin  a small business. I'm sure this does happen from time to time.

It's funny, the one place I have always been suspicious of is the online Tone Report, but I looked up a review of the Dod Gunslinger yesterday as some on here were enjoying it, and they gave it a really poor review, whilst seeking out all of the positives as well. This is a good example of how bad a review gets, I.e. not very but you read between the lines and reviewer leaves it as "I couldn't make it work for me". Negative journalism would get tiresome very quickly.

But yes, reviews are only one thing to go by, user reviews and trying it out is the best thing.
    One of the ones Guitarist reviewed was actually mine which was lent to them for review purposes.
    I certainly didn't get anything out of it and they had the bloody thing for about three months without giving me a definite date for return!
    I think they got the review wrong as well!
  • Deijavoo said:
    FWIW I think the new PE guitars play and sound great but visually are really not my bag at all. The newer designs of PJE are far more appealing and obviously play superbly too.
    Funny I'm the other way round i.e. I like the original PE design but yes both play like a dream :)
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I've had a few Eggles from the early 90s when Patrick was there, my old LA Pro was beautiful. Patrick left in 1994. I purchased a custom New York model in 96, which was made by Rob Williams.. It's a great guitar. 

I met Patrick today at the guitar show, throughly nice guy, and his new range of guitars is impressive.