Freeway

I have a "Freeway" six way toggle switch I've fitted to my PRS Singlecut (here).  It's really easy to use and for the first year or so was entirely trouble free.  For the last six months though (it's two years old), it's started crackling.  Not in a loose connection or similar manner, just an annoying crackle at each actuation (from any to any).

Does anyone know of a cause/cure?

Is this a common experience?

Ultimately; can I fix it, should I go back to a toggle, or replace it with another?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    Might just need a clean.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    What are you plugging the guitar into?

Is the volume control (and possibly tone control) noisy when turning it as well?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• All the other controls are fine, as is the lead and socket, it's definately teh switch.

It's a sealed switch (at least at first inspection), not at all like a standard toggle or lever switch, where you can get at the bits easily.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    I think some of the early ones had problems. I had one on my PRS CU22 that got stolen. I never had any issues though. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    jeztone2 said:
    I think some of the early ones had problems. I had one on my PRS CU22 that got stolen. I never had any issues though. 
    The early ones looked very different to the newer ones though.  Its a totally different mechanism inside
  • WezV said:
    jeztone2 said:
    The early ones looked very different to the newer ones though.  Its a totally different mechanism inside
    Does this mean a replacement won't suffer the same issue?

How do I tell if mines a "new" or "old" one?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    The one you linked to is a new one
    All the other controls are fine, as is the lead and socket, it's definately teh switch.
    What are you plugging it into?

The reason I asked is because a tiny DC leak from that can make a switch pop when moving it. It does usually make the volume pot sound scratchy as well, although that's not a certainty.

You need to eliminate this first because otherwise cleaning or replacing the switch will make no difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM - A Pod Pro, an Egnater Tweaker and a HoTone British Invasion at various times, with and without various pedals.  This only happens on this guitar (I have several) and this switch (on anything it's connected to), so I'm pretty sure that it's the switch at fault.
    Sounds like it, yes - important to check though, I've long since lost count of the number of times I've had customers puzzled that the new switch they had fitted by someone else didn't fix the problem. It's especially annoying when it was something like a proper original Switchcraft in a vintage guitar that's been replaced (often badly) with a cheap knock-off, and the other tech threw the original switch away...

If the switch is sealed at the back, try soaking some contact cleaner in from the front, it will usually penetrate well enough to get down into the contacts. There's a risk of washing out the grease, but you have nothing to lose since you'll have to replace the switch anyway if it doesn't cure it.