Any experience of humbucker size P90's??

axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
Quite fancy one in my current guitar build at the bridge. I like quite gainy sounds overall, but also lesser gain blues sounds.

Any recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited February 2017
    I've used a few 

Bare Knuckle Pig 90 - bridge model in an all mahogany lp. Absolutely huge sounding. It's a bit loose on high gain without a boost but I kinda like that in a p90 for the stoner rock type stuff I tend to play. Real fat tones. Tim installed it with a tap which worked for lower gain stuff.

Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen - had this in the neck of the same guitars, possibly my favourite neck pickup though a little muddy on lower strings/notes. Fat, decent output, great for bluesy lead tones. I'd like to have tried the bridge one as well.

Had both these in my sg as well and they worked well.

Axesrus Late 50s - neck model in my sg. Not quite as good as the MQ - not as fat or ballsy but therefore not as muddy on the lower strings.

Overall the MQ was my favourite. I've got some clips of them I'll try and find later to give you an idea of the different tones you can get with use of the volume knob.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    Seymour Phat Cat is very nice.

i had a Kent Armstrong one too that was pretty good, and dirt cheap.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1663

I'm no P90 expert in any way :) . But I put an Oli City Mighty Ninety in my partscaster tele - really like it. Ash was great to deal with.

http://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/bucker90s.html
  • I've got Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queens in a PRS Standard 22. Absolutely love them. Sounds like P90s should, to my ear.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    Listen to 160311-2 by tom_the_beast #np on #SoundCloud

That's mostly Pig 90 bridge in the sg. Volume rolled down for the intro/cleaner bits then up full for the chorus riffs. Leads were done with the neck MQ in the same guitar, same amp settings.
  • I've got a pair of Oil City Mighty Ninety Smooths in my SG - Alnico 2. 
    They sound just like they say, smooth on the Neck, and mighty on the bridge.
    Ash is, as everyone says, a joy to deal with.