PAF vs P90 wots the difference?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
I've never been quite sure what a PAF pickup is (I know what the initials stand for). I get the impression that a p90 is a sort of beefed up SC and a PAF is something of a toned down HB but I could be way off base here. If that was the case, are they both meeting somewhere in the middle?

Can anyone describe the pickup characteristics? I'm thinking of sticking one or the other in the bridge position instead of an HB for a change.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    A PAF is a humbucker.  I think it might have been the first - hence the Patent Applied For sticker that gave them their name.

A PAF style pickup isn't different in construction than any other humbucker.  More "modern" style pickups might have more windings on the coil, and might use Alnico 5 or ceramic magnets rather than Alnico 2 or Alnico 4 like a lot of 50s pickups but there is no fundamental difference.  With the different magnet and less winds a PAF style pickup will be lower output than a lot of more modern ones, and might have slightly less mid-range, a bit more top end and sound a bit sweeter.

A P90 is a single coil but has a different construction (magnets and winding) than a Fender style single coil - which is what most people think of as a single coil pickup.  The result is that it has higher output, reduced top end twang and more mid-range than a Fender style pickup.  It still has the dynamics that you get from a genuine single coil, that humbuckers and every attempt I've ever come across at a noiseless single coil lack.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A p90 is a single coil with an even bigger noise problem.

They can sound awesome, but if you like your gain or have bad wiring in your house you'll know about it.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584

They can sound awesome, but if you like your gain or have bad wiring in your house you'll know about it.
    Not necessarily in a bad way tho ;)
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    Wasn't the whole point of the PAF/humbucker Seth Lover trying to replicate the sound of a P90 without the noise?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    Wasn't the whole point of the PAF/humbucker Seth Lover trying to replicate the sound of a P90 without the noise?
    Yup!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    A video on you tube has been done comparing a Gibson Les paul with humbuckers and a goldtop with p90's I made

It might be of interest, it's already had 20k views so far, it's well done and funny too

Mike's a great player which helps, the editing is superb btw

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    @customkits Nice guitar and good video thanks. I love the way he's done that video with the interaction!
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    Yeah he's bloody good at that and i like the humour, good fun video imo

We've got a few more this vs that sort of videos planned 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Hnnng I want a p90 guitar so badly. Great video, he's great to watch for a lot of reasons.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1286
    I've recently got my first p90 guitar. 

Your instincts are right - they're stellar. Similar but so different and very very versatile 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2149
    It's all about Humbucker Strats and P90 Les Pauls for me!! I think they create the cool Hard Rock Tones and work well for Jazz too.

I don't really like Effects on P90s, as they sound better raw and straight into a Tweed Amp. Simplicity at it's best.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    peteri said:
    I've recently got my first p90 guitar. 

Your instincts are right - they're stellar. Similar but so different and very very versatile 
    You've really fallen for it, haven't you? :)

Really chuffed you have...
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    That video posted above is brilliant. The editing is incredible.

tFB Trader
    andyp said:i
    That video posted above is brilliant. The editing is incredible.

Thanks I'll tell Mike
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)