Work expenses meal rates

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27679
    I'm in the middle east where cheap food is almost impossible, but we get $45 per day, and we're allowed to book hotel stays which include breakfast, so that's not too bad. Alcohol is permitted as long as there's food on the bill, though half the time Im' in a dry country so it's moot.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24835
    Before I worked for myself - nothing.

The view in the law is that you would eat anyway, and that comes out of your salary.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24636
    If they book us in a place that has breakfast, £25 - which is supposed to cover lunch and an evening meal.  If they book us room only, it's £30.  We get this regardless of what we spend and therefore don't need to produce receipts.

If I choose my evening meal to be two bottles of gin, that's my prerogative.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4695

The view in the law is that you would eat anyway, and that comes out of your salary.
    HMRC guidelines are £20 a night. Now you eat anyway but an evening meal at home will likely not cost more than £10.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6409
    edited March 2017
    Corporate approved hotels usually have internet/wifi & breakfast included in the rate, and £25 for dinner - booze if you can squeeze it in.  £25 is less than a burger&chips plus a couple of pints in most of the bigger chain hotels - Marriott, Crowne Plaza etc.

Overseas it's different - you get a daily allowance of c.£50 - With Scandanavian hotels - when not included in the room rate (normal), breakfast buffet can be up to c.£35 - so for a day it's less than you think ......
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    For overnight stays without any company-supplied dinner event (as is at most conferences), £15 per night which cannot include any alcohol; I believe this is probably due to company vehicles being in use so they don't want to be in any way responsible for drink driving. Lunch is a seperate allowance and only for day-long events without catering, and is a fiver.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24636
    Jalapeno said:
    Corporate approved hotels usually have internet/wifi & breakfast included in the rate, and £25 for dinner - booze if you can squeeze it in.  £25 is less than a burger&chips plus a couple of pints in most of the bigger chain hotels - Marriott, Crowne Plaza etc.

Overseas it's different - you get a daily allowance of c.£50 - With Scandanavian hotels - when not included in the room rate (normal), breakfast buffet can be up to c.£35 - so for a day it's less than you think ......
    THIRTY FIVE QUID FOR F*CKING BREAKFAST ??!!!!!!!!
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • No set limit as such but needs to be reasonable, would probably get away with about £30 but I've been out with managers where it has probably been more like £50 per person.
    Old Is Gold
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33933
    Self employed so whatever I want as I'm paying the bill.

Mrs Oct is a VP for a healthcare company and can spend as much 'as needed'- we once went to Pollen St Social on expenses (about £500 including wine) as they made her travel for 6 weeks straight and it was a thank you for 'our understanding'.
    She's been to the Fat Duck on expenses in a previous job as well, lucky thing.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6583
    edited March 2017
    Our (AV installation) engineers will stay away from home failry regularly. Can't remember if there is an actual cap on the spending, but I do know that, being a small company, the guys are quite reasonable with their choices and usually make benefit of a meal deal included in the hotel costs or a Wetherspoon pub, plus a couple of drinks, alcohol included, are not frowned upon as they never take liberties with it.
    I have only stopped away once in many years, and I was put up in a Premier Inn with breakfast and evening meal included, I think it was £25 extra on the hotel cost.

Wonder if it is different in a larger company where there is more potential for the system to be abused and lots of money wasted.

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    £8.50 is two and a half Tesco meal deals. I see no problem. If you're not full after that then there's something wrong. It'll also buy you a Weatherspoons or a big breakfast fry up. Or as much pizza as you can eat at the Pizza Hut buffet. 

Seriously though, you just live in the wrong part of the country. For £8.50 in Yorkshire you can dine like a king, with all the salted pork and mead you can stomach. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4375
    Our (AV installation) engineers will stay away from home failry regularly. Can't remember if there is an actual cap on the spending, but I do know that, being a small company, the guys are quite reasonable with their choices and usually make benefit of a meal deal included in the hotel costs or a Wetherspoon pub, plus a couple of drinks, alcohol included, are not frowned upon as they never take liberties with it.
    I have only stopped away once in many years, and I was put up in a Premier Inn with breakfast and evening meal included, I think it was £25 extra on the hotel cost.

Wonder if it is different in a larger company where there is more potential for the system to be abused and lots of money wasted.
    It definitely happens at my company. 

The expats (I work for a foreign company) pretty much expense their whole lives. Nothing is really rejected. 

If I tried it, I'd get laughed at. 

Random stuff for family. Clothing. Going out on the piss. Expensive rounds of golf. As long as you're mates with the FD you're sorted. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• SporkySporky Frets: 29106

The problem with that is that when I'm out on the company's behalf I have limited time and choice, so in general food is more expensive than if I was at home or in the office.

I only claim lunch at trade shows (where it's much more expensive than a sammich in London), and I only claim dinner if I'm staying away or I've been out particularly late on company business (I think officially it's if you're still working at 6pm).

At my last job I could claim up to £25 for lunch and £75 for dinner, and the only restrictions were no spirits and no "fine wines". Oh, and the finance director sitting us down and saying "If you have a beer with dinner this is fine. If you have ten beers with dinner this is not so fine". Sadly he had a typical Dutch lack of sense of humour and was unamused when I asked if nine beers was OK.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Expenses in transport were pitiful when I worked away, you got £15 for overnight accommodation & that was to find digs & meals :o HRMC taxed that meagre amount too. the cheapest Premier inn back then was around £22 for overnight accommodation.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4297
    Breakfast fairly flexible on amounts, as usually driven by what hotel you are in. Then £6 for lunch, £30 for evening meal, can include alcohol, and a further £5 sundry expense type thing. Think this is all fairly typical from talking to mates.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4695
    Previous company we were allowed £40 a head, but you could pay for everybody in the party.
    If you stagard the expense claim everybody would pay for the whole party.
    So one person would pay for food the others for wine
  • I just looked at ours (aerospace engineering); it says (for UK travel):

Breakfast £15
    Lunch £10
    Evening meal £30

I do not recall ever giving it a moment's thought to this level of detail when travelling TBH.

Most of my business travel is overseas, and I make sure I find a customer to have meals with. Entertaining is given much more leniency than keeping one's own employees alive!

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24835

HMRC guidelines are £20 a night. Now you eat anyway but an evening meal at home will likely not cost more than £10.

Not talking about what the HMRC says- I'm talking about being in practice 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995

had £10 a day whilst on apprenticeship (2009-2015), so we made do on a combined feast of cold food from asda! couldn't afford much at restaurant, or even in the hotels we inhabited. Being away for 6 weeks at a time the limit selection gets very dull very quickly. we complained a lot that it wasn't enough even then!

Now get £25 allowance at whatever hotel I'm in .

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1491
    Whatever really, as long as I don't take the piss. But I'll occasionally "entertain" and buy dinner for a mate if I'm meeting them after work in London or whatever. 

They pay for all meals whilst I'm out - I left the house at 6am yesterday, and bought a McD's breakfast, coffee and then lunch and some chocolate when I filled the car up - they'll happily re-imburse me for all of the above. Can't really complain.