Where to buy Telecaster control plate with angled pickup selector hole in UK ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 786
The pickup selector switch is too close to the vol control on my american tele, where can i buy a replacement control plate in uk where the selector switch is angled away ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Angled away how? 45 degrees?

Could you reverse the control plate and switch the vol and tone knobs? Makes volume swells easier if that's you're thing too!
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 993
    Not UK, but eurozone: they do one angled, and a straight one with more space.

http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?list=WG152
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited March 2017
    Try your local engineers / welders / fab shop ?
    Tell them you want it copying but angle the switch slot.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2482
    edited March 2017
    KKJale said:
    Not UK, but eurozone: they do one angled, and a straight one with more space.

http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?list=WG152
    I've not seen that particular one before. Marc Rutters' angled and 3/8"-Over control plates are really nice but almost twice the price of the Rockinger one  -  PLUS international mail from USA, VAT, duty, handling charge, etc. I personally prefer the 3/8"-Over to preserve more of the traditional look but either is an improvement over the standard cramped Tele plate.

httpruttersguitarscomuploads3-8_in_Over_Plate_1jpg
    Rutters 3/8"-Over
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    You could also try bending the switch blade down a bit... that buys you a little extra room. Maybe fit a smaller switch tip.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 769
    edited March 2017
    GMI tools in Greece, via eBay, in a choice of angles. Also, Dixie (who @guitars4you knows) has had them in the past - probably the Rockinger one at a guess? Watch the screw mount spacing though, they are all 150mm screw mount/ 160mm overall length, but many Teles are 148mm screw mount, from memory.

Edit: ABM do a plate with the volume knob moved back a little, similar to the Rutters one - I think Thomann sell them.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Huge +1 for the plates with a bigger gap. Much better than angled as the cavity doesn't allow enough angle to really fix the issue. I've had a couple of the musikding ones and they're perfect Fender should have done it years ago.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I built a kit Tele and flipped the controls round so the selector is at the back. Having not played a Tele before I found this made a lot more sense and was much easier to use. Sorry if it's sacrilege, but I find the original Tele setup odd and awkward. Flipping it fixed my issue with both the switch and the volume control.
    edited March 2017
    Interestingly, Allparts in Italy have the type with the bigger gap even though it's not part of the USA and UK Allparts catalogue. Here's the link:

http://www.allpartsitalia.com/CPT-361422-Control-Plate-for-Tele-Spaced_p_11614.html

What the quality is like at that low price is anybody's guess but maybe worth a punt?

BTW Misikding no longer seem to show on their web site the control plates that @stickyfiddle has.
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 786
    Thanks fellas, i ordered the 3/8 over type from rockinger. Where do you get a switch tip which is chrome and has the same surface type as the vol and tone pots ?
    There are plenty of smooth chromed plastic switch tips available but I don't know of any knurled ones other than the Rutters one pictured above. If anyone knows others I'd also be interested to know.
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 786
    Is the removal of the original control plate and fitting of the 3/8 over type a job for a tech or straight forward ?
    Is the removal of the original control plate and fitting of the 3/8 over type a job for a tech or straight forward ?
    It depends on your luck. If there is 10mm or more of slack in the wiring between switch and pots it will be an easy swap but otherwise it might require a little modification of the wiring. Lift the control plate and have a look. You may be lucky. It's not hard to modify yourself if required.