3 screw ashtray bridge for US standard Tele?

What's Hot
simonksimonk Frets: 1467
Apart from Glendale in the US of A, they appear to be unobtainium. Has anyone found any closer to home?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    Not seen one in the UK. Just order from Glendale, it will be with you in a couple of weeks.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    Not cheap but there is this www.axesrus.co.uk/Hipshot-Modern-Style-Bridge-Vintage-Conversion-p/4410033.htm
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    I think they look best with the sides on like the Glendale.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Not cheap but there is this www.axesrus.co.uk/Hipshot-Modern-Style-Bridge-Vintage-Conversion-p/4410033.htm
    Not an ashtray though mate...
    I've succumbed and ordered one from Glendale.

Grrr, why Fender will let you fit a vintage spec ashtray to a Mex standard Tele but not an American standard is beyond me. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    Because when the USA Standard was designed they had no idea anyone would want to put the old bridge type on one - the only guitar they made with the vintage bridge was the '52 Reissue, which is a different body anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Because when the USA Standard was designed they had no idea anyone would want to put the old bridge type on one - the only guitar they made with the vintage bridge was the '52 Reissue, which is a different body anyway.
    And the Highway One...

Don't go getting all sensible and logical on me anyway - I know I'm harking back to a time when things were probably less better. I just like an ashtray on a Tele, just feels right.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    simonk said:

And the Highway One...
    Not in 1983 ;).

(Actually the first version with nasty saddles - but the same footprint.)

simonk said:

Don't go getting all sensible and logical on me anyway - I know I'm harking back to a time when things were probably less better. I just like an ashtray on a Tele, just feels right.
    :)

My problem with putting a 3-saddle ashtray bridge on a USA Standard is that it just doesn't look right, because the bridge is much longer than a vintage Tele.

It will probably niggle you until eventually you replace the body, or the whole guitar. I can't possibly imagine how I know this.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

ICBM said:

My problem with putting a 3-saddle ashtray bridge on a USA Standard is that it just doesn't look right, because the bridge is much longer than a vintage Tele.

It will probably niggle you until eventually you replace the body, or the whole guitar. I can't possibly imagine how I know this.
    Yeah, right, like that's ever going to happen..!

sigh
    GSPBASSES said:
    I have considered redrilling it to accept something like that. Do the string holes through through the body line up though?
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader
    I don't know that, although I've used just about every bridge available but never actually tried to put a 4 screw bridge as a replacement for a 3 screw bridge. But I'm sure there will be members on here who have and will be able to tell you if the string holes line up on not.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    No the string through holes on the US Std are in a different location to a vintage bridge. Different string spacing as well.
    If you are going to retrofit a vintage style bridge and don't want to go for a Glendale (and don't mind drilling new mount holes) you can drill new string though holes in a vintage plate.
    http://axecaster.co.uk/blog/?p=434
    Depending on action and string gauge you may have a very sharp break angle - almost 90 degrees.
    The new American Professional Teles have Fender's own hybrid vintage bridge - vintage styling, modern string spacing and through hole location.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/american-professional-bridge.691326/#post-7325283

Why they didn't just re-tool and go for a regular vintage bridge I don't know. It will make things more confusing when talking about Fender vintage bridges and compatibility.