Telecaster Pick Up Height Anomaly?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5916
I checked my Tele (2 X American Vintage '58's) pick up heights as I noticed the bridge was waaaaaaay louder than the neck. I know the bridge is perceived as louder, but this was way beyond that. Can't believe it took me so long to notice it.

Anyway, the heights were as near as damn it to the recommended heights, so what's going on?

I checked my other Telecaster (Broadcaster Bridge and Twisted Tele Neck) pick ups and the volume difference between the two pick ups on that was negligible.

I noticed on the Broadcaster Bridge pick up that the pole pieces are all flush with the pick up, but on the Vintage '58 Bridge pick up, the D is set quite high, so is the G albeit a little lower and the others stand just a little above.

I've fiddled a little with the Vintage 58's by lowering the bridge and raising the neck, it's gotten them to sound a little more "equal" in output, but they are not at the recommended measurements. Does it matter? There are no tuning issues going on with magnetism etc. I feel I want to tweak them a bit more.

What's your thoughts, anyone have these Vintage '58's?

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    Treat the recommended heights exactly as that "recommended".

Adjust them to suit your taste or balance as required.

Obviously adjusting them too close to the strings can cause tuning issues/wolf tones.

In my experience of "std" tele pickups the neck is often lower output than the bridge.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    Collings said:
    Treat the recommended heights exactly as that "recommended".

Adjust them to suit your taste or balance as required.

Obviously adjusting them too close to the strings can cause tuning issues/wolf tones.

In my experience of "std" tele pickups the neck is often lower output than the bridge.

+1....just adjust to taste.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom