Machine head issue, help!

mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 215
So was trying to tune up, string slipped of the leg then I realized that the peg(bit that holds the string) wasn't turning and I've managed to remove it! Is this something I can repair or do I need to replace? 
Its an old Fuji gen ibanez 5 strings bass ... 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Can you post a pic of it?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    If you're lucky the gear has come off the end of the post due to the securing screw working its way out... if you're unlucky the end of the shaft which holds the screw has sheared off - either is possible with this type of tuner.

The first is fixable, usually by popping the back cover out of the tuner, if it's the type I think it is. The second will need a new shaft or a whole new tuner. I may have one or both of those, or someone else may.

Can you post a pic of the whole tuner and of the post that's come out? That will help see what's needed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 215
    Cheers guys, hope thisworks

That looks like the screw has come out.

What to do:

Push the back cover off the machinehead by poking something down the shaft hole - the chances are the screw and gear are in the way, but pushing on those should do the same if you can't get directly to it.

You should now be able to re-assemble the tuner - make sure the gear is seated properly on the post, then tighten up the screw really tight. Refit the string and test it works properly before putting the back cover on.

If any of that fails and the shaft or machinehead body is damaged in some way, PM me - I have a matching spare complete tuner.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    That looks like the screw has come out.

What to do:

Push the back cover off the machinehead by poking something down the shaft hole - the chances are the screw and gear are in the way, but pushing on those should do the same if you can't get directly to it.

You should now be able to re-assemble the tuner - make sure the gear is seated properly on the post, then tighten up the screw really tight. Refit the string and test it works properly before putting the back cover on.

If any of that fails and the shaft or machinehead body is damaged in some way, PM me - I have a matching spare complete tuner.
    Thanks so much I'll report back ..
    Arghsone ss it has some tension it slipssandlonger turns @icbm I'll send u a pm ...
    That sounds like the splined bit has damaged itself as it came out of the gear. Got your PM...

@ICBM you saved the day! Thank you ! 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    @ICBM wears his pants outside his trousers most days...