Small pets: legal questions

What's Hot

Comments

• Cirrus said:
    My worry would be that I botched it and the pet knew about it - so their last thought is "Oh my god, my owner is killing me".

I did not know that animals believed in God or ownership. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's really very quick and peaceful at a vets, maybe call them first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • marcus449marcus449 Frets: 151
    Cirrus said:
    My worry would be that I botched it and the pet knew about it - so their last thought is "Oh my god, my owner is killing me".

no but they understand the concept of being killed, regardless of who's doing it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • marcus449 said:
    Cirrus said:

no but they understand the concept of being killed, regardless of who's doing it
    @marcus449 , I appreciate your point that it doesn't matter if a vet or amateur does the killing, but i prefer to stay on the humane side of things.  I believe that @paganskins dispatching of the chicken was reasonable and humane.  I think that to call a vet out in that situation would have been unnecessary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    Cirrus said:

Oh.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16373
    We took one of our gerbils to the vets to be put to sleep when it developed growths, the other had died in it's habitat. Vet fees vary quite a bit, ours is about £30 for any consultation. I think it was an injection rather than a guillotine, although I didn't see it so I don't really know. The dog was an injection, I had to hold him. Dear God that was so sad. 
    Going to the vets is about reassurance that you are doing the right thing and that your beloved pet isn't suffering any more than necessary, I'm not sure I'd trust myself to do it as painlessly as a vet could. I've had to finish off a couple of wild creatures but if it's bleeding all over the patio then calling up the vets for an appointment isn't really an option. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • a friend of mine tried and failed to euthanize his pet rat about three times...not good.

Unless you have a foolproof and humane way to do it yourself (and the bottle to do it) take it to a vet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    edited March 2017
    a friend of mine tried and failed to euthanize his pet rat about three times...not good.

Unless you have a foolproof and humane way to do it yourself (and the bottle to do it) take it to a vet
    That is awful.  I feel bad for both the rat and him.  How did he attempt the easing of is furry friend's passage over The Rainbow Bridge?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    To be honest, the idea you'd even contemplate doing it yourself makes me feel deeply uncomfortable. I actually feel sick, just thinking about it....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • To be honest, the idea you'd even contemplate doing it yourself makes me feel deeply uncomfortable. I actually feel sick, just thinking about it....
    OK @richardhomer , let me put this real case scenario to you.  You live in a rural area, so the nearest vet is about half an hour away (best case).  Your dog, a greyhound, gets hit by a tractor on the road and has crush injuries and a broken back. She can not be moved due to injuries and pain, and it may well not survive the day.  You have a 22 rifle in the house.   

Do you wait for a vet to attend to put it out of her misery?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    To be honest, the idea you'd even contemplate doing it yourself makes me feel deeply uncomfortable. I actually feel sick, just thinking about it....
    OK @richardhomer , let me put this real case scenario to you.  You live in a rural area, so the nearest vet is about half an hour away (best case).  Your dog, a greyhound, gets hit by a tractor on the road and has crush injuries and a broken back. She can not be moved due to injuries and pain, and it may well not survive the day.  You have a 22 rifle in the house.   

But that isn't the situation you're in, is it?

So an interesting dilemma to present to me - but not the question you originally posed....
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Surely a vet is the only way? I'm not sure why you'd consider anything else...
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4746

I think we can all agree, this is an area where FWD and RWD perform equally admirably.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @richardhomer , I was actually just interested in knowing if it was legal to euthanise an animal yourself. 

I do not have a pet at this time.  My last dog passed just before New Years Eve, don't worry, there was a vet involved.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    @richardhomer , I was actually just interested in knowing if it was legal to euthanise an animal yourself. 
    Yes it is legal, provided you do not cause the animal to suffer. You basically need to have the means and skill to do so quickly and cleanly.

You'd lose your firearms licence and probably face prosecution for firearms offenses if you shot anything in a public place - any firearms owner would know that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • To be honest, the idea you'd even contemplate doing it yourself makes me feel deeply uncomfortable. I actually feel sick, just thinking about it....

You'd lose your firearms licence and probably face prosecution for firearms offenses if you shot anything in a public place - any firearms owner would know that.

So @MattBanshee I take it your answer would be to wait for the vet?

So @MattBanshee I take it your answer would be to wait for the vet?
    I don't know what my answer would be; but one of my old bandmates was an apprentice gamekeeper, shotgun and firearms licencee and the rules are so strict with very heavy penalties for breaking the law (and rightfully so) that it's not just as simple as popping home and grabbing the gun. Most rural areas are actually well served by vets (travelling vets as well as those in practice) due to the amount of farming around, so it probably wouldn't be that difficult to have one head over there.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275

Don't think that is the case ...........large Roe Deer was hit by a car outside our farm and seriously injured
    Police came and asked me to despatch it -I don't have a gun or shoot but they asked the farmer next door and he shot it with a rifle quickly and cleanly.