Expensive amps with crap graphics and fonts

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3958
    I really don't care what stuff looks like. I'd happily play with it all off stage as long as it sounds/feels good. In fact, if I get an Helix that's effectively what I would be doing! 
    Keep this in your living room for a month
    http://i.imgur.com/pEgxiEK.jpg

Part of his criteria was that it has to sound good though, @Winny_Pooh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Lebarque said:
    Good: Most amps which use the guy's surname 
    Not sure I agree:

Carr - no - because it reminds me of Jimmy Carr.

Freidman - no - because it reminds me of Dean Friedman who recorded the truly awful 'Lucky Stars'

Morgan - no - because it's a very dull name....
    Carr - at least your not thinking of Alan Carr.

Marty Friedman anyone?

And Morgan .... Morgan Cars? Now that's cool.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    CloudNine said:
    I wouldn't say the Redplate design team are exactly knocking it out the park..... 
    Agreed, also Two Rock skipped on design duties.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Those look great, sound great, are loud enough to play anywhere up to the size of a small country and are impossible to break.

I've got one, brilliant amp. Sold my Mesa...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7868
    ^^^ see, this is the problem with taste, not everyone has it ;) 
    I could use one with lapslide and a tele from time to time but try and get a warm lead tone or pop a fuzz in front and it sucks bad. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3069
    I really don't care what stuff looks like. I'd happily play with it all off stage as long as it sounds/feels good. In fact, if I get an Helix that's effectively what I would be doing! 

I'd be more than happy with one of those. 

My first "proper" amp in the 80s was a Bandit 65 - cracking amp. The Special is the same but louder, I believe? 

R. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72956

I could use one with lapslide and a tele from time to time but try and get a warm lead tone or pop a fuzz in front and it sucks bad. 
    I admit I cheated and replaced the rather metallic-top-end Black Widow speaker with an Eminence Delta 12A, which warmed the sound up a lot.

It does rather sadly take away that classic late-70s 'jet engine' look of the metal dust cap and rim, though…

robinbowes said:

My first "proper" amp in the 80s was a Bandit 65 - cracking amp. The Special is the same but louder, I believe? 
    Yes, basically - although the later 130W model has a semi-parametric mid EQ, which is a bit more touchy to dial in (although more effective) than the Bandit's or the earlier 120W one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein