Hum with the volume lowered (newly installed pickups and wiring)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3937
    edited March 2017
    @ICBM - again, seem to have that sorted.  Although still getting a bit of intermittency/crackling on the bridge pot.  The terminal actually seems a tad wobbly and there's a lot of solder gather at its base - which appears to be against plastic :(

Is it correct that if either pickup is rolled all the way back that the middle switch will not work?  I.e. it relies on at least some signal from both pickups?  Not that you'd ever want to do it, just wondering how it works.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    @ICBM - again, seem to have that sorted.  Although still getting a bit of intermittency/crackling on the bridge pot.
    Sounds like it needs some contact cleaner in it. Heating it too many times may have disturbed some of the grease and got it on the track.

Is it correct that if either pickup is rolled all the way back that the middle switch will not work?  I.e. it relies on at least some signal from both pickups?
    Yes - although what's happening is that the pot which is turned right down is grounding the output - and hence also the other one, when the switch is in the middle. This is why it doesn't hum - with the 'independent' wiring, the output is left floating and acts as an aerial.

imalrightjack said:

Not that you'd ever want to do it
    That's why I don't understand the point of the 'independent' wiring either. There's no need to ever do it, because if you want to turn one pickup off, the switch does that.

The other problem is that it muddies the tone as you turn the volume down because it progressively lowers the effective pot resistance - eg with a 500K Log pot, if the volume is set to 5 the effective pot resistance is between 50K-150K depending on the exact taper… very muddy.

The only time it's necessary is on a Rickenbacker with the stereo wiring, where the 'normal' wiring would leave one output as an open circuit when the switch was open, which would cause even worse noise problems. But Rickenbackers are just weird :). For everything else, use Gibson wiring.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3937
    edited March 2017
    Thanks, @ICBM.  All working fine now  

Now to find out if this Kemper is really as shite as I first thought...

My band, Red For Dissent
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The Kemper isn't shite.

Having seen Queensryche last tour, where both Parker and Michael used them, they sound fantastic.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_l said:
    The Kemper isn't shite.

Having seen Queensryche last tour, where both Parker and Michael used them, they sound fantastic.
    My patience is shite. But having another go today :)

My band, Red For Dissent
    Go slow and get one right before starting on the next one.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:
    Go slow and get one right before starting on the next one.
    Good advice.  Plus, plenty of coffee.  All sorted and sounding great!

My band, Red For Dissent
    Excellent.