Fender Musicmaster

What's Hot
KoaKoa Frets: 123
so if a Musicmaster is a single pickup Mustang does that make it the Les Paul Junior of the Fender world?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    The Esquire is the LPJ of the fender world IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    Nope.  Because the single pickup isn't good enough on it's own

but it makes it ripe for converting to mustang spec... in a non permenant way of course
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Koa said:
    so if a Musicmaster is a single pickup Mustang does that make it the Les Paul Junior of the Fender world?
    Kind of… given that the most important pickup on a Strat for most people is the neck, the Musicmaster is basically that - although it's short-scale, you can then put heavier strings on and get a huge SRV-like Strat neck pickup tone without pulling your fingers off.

I gigged one for a while exactly like that, with 12s on it. Great sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    dindude said:
    Yeah, I would agree with that.

i do love single pickup guitars, but it has to be the bridge pickup on anything that isn't hollow.

the strings ring almost free of magnetic influence on a single pickup guitar... even more so if that magnetic pull is closer to the bridge where the string is moving less
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    dindude said:
    Yeah, I would agree with that.

I'd agree with that as well - The Musicmaster is more the Melody Maker equivalent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    guitars4you said:

The Musicmaster is more the Melody Maker equivalent
    Yes, that's a fair comparison.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KoaKoa Frets: 123
    ICBM said:
    guitars4you said:

Ok I get that although the Musicmaster sounds ''straty' as ICBM says unlike the Melody Maker which isn't like a LP at all..... 
    Id definitely rather have a Musicmaster than a Melody Maker. They definitely have that Mustang vibe.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Koa said:
    ICBM said:
    guitars4you said:

Ok I get that although the Musicmaster sounds ''straty' as ICBM says unlike the Melody Maker which isn't like a LP at all..... 
    Id definitely rather have a Musicmaster than a Melody Maker. They definitely have that Mustang vibe.
    okay I think we are all talking about how it fits in within the product range and the Musicmaster and Melody Maker were effectively budget student models in their day - I take your point on board about the tonal character, but I believe the above comparisons were not trying to reflect that either - Yet The Melody Maker has a thin sounding single coil pick up in relation to the throaty sounding P90, so the Melody Maker sounds far less Gibson like than other Gibson Guitars

Do you own a Musicmaster, or contemplate buying one ? - as if by magic - http://www.guitars4you.co.uk/guitars/4243-fender-1973-musicmaster/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom