Building a hardtail Jazzmaster

What's Hot
TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
edited April 2016 in Guitar
I want to do something with my parts strat Squier neck - basically I built it up then realised I don't actually like strats too much haha. I like the chunky headstock and the neck itself but just find strats too plain. I was going to chuck it on a tele but the Jazzmaster has always been one of my favourite Fender shapes. Thing is I don't want or need a trem so I want to build it up into a single pickup (for now) string through hardtail beast a bit like this:

Struggling to find a body for it though, they're all routed for a trem. Any ideas where I could find one or get one made at a decent price? Ideally all routed and drilled as I don't have a press to do it myself.

Before I get too ahead of myself, the strat neck will fit in a jazzmaster pocket, right?

Edit - oops sorry just realised I put this in the wrong forum, was meant to go in making & modding!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1063
    edited April 2016
    I'm looking at something similar, but as you say, the body has to be custom made. There are the Squier models that are hardtails (both Jaguar and Jazzmaster), but they have the Strat style jack socket. If you can get over the odd look, that is probably your best bet. There are a few on ebay at the moment I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Ask GSPBasses, he doesn't finish them, but you can quite easily do an pip finish. He quoted me £160 for a hollow jazzmaster made from swamp ash and walnut, so a normal body will most likely be cheaper.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited April 2016
    When I did this one I got Guitarbuild to make me one without a tremolo routing. Think it cost a tenner on top of the normal body price (which seemed odd as they were leaving something out, but CNC + Exceptions = Expensive, and that seemed pretty cheap to me :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitarbuild quoted me 55 on top of the standard price for a non-trem rout and deeper pickup pockets.
  • The neck pocket is the same, yes.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    I'm actually tempted to get one of these kits and scrap a lot of it, not quite a string through but most of the way there? Or are they really low quality? I want a guitar that's actually nice rather than cheap and bodged together haha. 

Failing this I suppose I could get a normal one and block it off but I think I'd rather have a hardtail! 
  • Those bodies aren't quite right shape-wise I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • doogz84doogz84 Frets: 206
    The Modern Player Jaguar has a tune-o-matic (forget what Fender call theirs) style bridge.

MIght be worth a look?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16949
    TTBZ said:

Well that's really simple, but also potentially weighty - they are quite big bodies and can weigh a lot if you don't have many routes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I'd probably still get it routed HH or something to allow for future proofing. I have a Jaguar bass that isn't heavy, aren't they pretty similar?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    I reckon Jon Manuel would do you one
    Is he a member on here?
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    TTBZ said:
    I'm actually tempted to get one of these kits and scrap a lot of it, not quite a string through but most of the way there? Or are they really low quality? I want a guitar that's actually nice rather than cheap and bodged together haha. 

Failing this I suppose I could get a normal one and block it off but I think I'd rather have a hardtail! 
    Don't Jazzmasters come with a button on the trem that locks it anyway? 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    edited April 2016
    TTBZ;1029803" said:
    Is he a member on here?
    No, but I think his eBay moniker is 1Jonone or something like that

@JookyChap Can you remember Jons eBay name ?

I'm not actually sure haha. If they do then that might be ok, I do think the strat style hardtail looks better/cleaner though.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    TTBZ;1029896" said:
    I'm not actually sure haha. If they do then that might be ok, I do think the strat style hardtail looks better/cleaner though.
    They lock it for pulling up, but you can still push it down. I think it's meant for keeping the trem height when down tuning or when a string breaks.

See here http://www.webrocker.de/jaguar/2007/05/12/setup-the-tremolo-system/
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    edited April 2016
    re strat neck in jazzmaster pocket. i think it depends very much on year.

i've got a 2002 chinese jagmaster (strat type trem) which is 25.5 full strat scale, and i think they take the regular 25.5 strat neck. but the pre 2000 vista jagmasters don't and the post 2005 (or something) are 24 scale and don't.

the first wave of vintage modified jazzmasters that came out about ten years ago were hardtail and two knobs. one of those bodies may suit, neck permitting? they seemed to come in crap colours (butterscotch?) but if you are refinishing that's not an issue (and will keep costs down as they are not as in demand as sunburst or black).

am actually considering going the same route as you. my jagmaster is pristine and sounds sweet with p90 type upgrades, but i don't do trem so it is full-time blocked off. i keep wondering whether i could get better tone out of a non routed jm. though i like it for what it is, i feel it might be too bright for what i am doing (gothy shoegaze). so may replace with a non-trem version soon.

curiously clapton says he far prefers a blocked trem strat to a hardtail strat for his tone and sustain. something to do with the trem strings and cavity adding something that the hardtails don't have.
    so maybe try one of those hardtail jazzmasters before building just in case they don't sound right to you.

will watch your project with interest.
    "be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
    I was a bit worried about Wez saying it might be too heavy but from what I can tell it won't be much bigger in body than my Jag bass which is actually really comfy, comfier than a strat body for me.

I'll try and have a play on a hardtail. I actually don't mind the butterscotch but Olympic white or surf green would look better. For me a slightly bright guitar is fine, can always darken with pickup swap if it's overkill.
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    edited April 2016
    if you can't find a hardtail body and you fancy a project you could always buy a complete chinese 2000-2005 25.5 (strat scale) jagmaster with strat trem (which would solve your neck concerns as the neck would obviously be perfect for the body and set up to go) fill in the cavity and respray. that way all the routing would already be done too. would just need to drill a couple of holes for the new bridge. you can buy ready shaped blocks to fill strat trem cavities if you don't feel up to making your own.

couple of projects here.
    http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21187
    http://www.guitarattack.com/repair/tremfill/tremfill.htm
    http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tht2.htm

re weight, i've got a squier short scale jag bass and the jag bass body is definitely smaller than my jagmaster. width and length, thickness is the same. just checked them side by side. can give you measurements if you want them.
    "be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16949
    Its the lack of extra routes which can make it heavy. Suddely its a lot of weight all sitting behind the bridge.... Less balanced so perceived as heavier perhaps

I made a new body for a telemaster because the existing one was an anchor. I started with a light swamp ash body blank, routed 2 extra pickup cavities under the guard and I would say it still ended up medium weight rather than light.

A strat from the same blank would have been a light guitar. again, there may be a bit of perception based on balance