Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One amp to rule them all?

What's Hot
TheDarkLordTheDarkLord Frets: 34
edited December 2013 in Amps
I'm looking for one amp to do everything.  I'm not asking much am I?

It needs to be able to do small to medium pub gigs (sometimes on its own, sometimes miked up) plus be able to play at non-divorce levels in my house. The neighbours aren't an issue though as they are far enough away.

I'd like it to be a reasonably compact combo as well and loud enough to have a little bit of clean headroom ....... although, "clean" in my vocab is not that clean.

I'm not constrained by a budget of any kind and I'm looking for something of quality.  Anyone have any suggestions?

The runners and riders (in no particular order) at the moment are:
  • Mesa Boogie Express Plus 5:25 Combo
  • Line 6 DT25 Combo
  • Tone King Metropolitan
  • Tone King Imperial

Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 863
    What sort of sound are you after? I can't recommend the new Badcat Blackcats enough, 1-12 combo in either 15 or 30 watt. Very good master volumes and half power switch so sounds good in the house. I've owned a lot of amps over the years boutique and vintage and these are the best I've had yet. I use them on gigs ranging from Jazz to rock to country to funk, soul, disco.

Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • Jet City JCA5012 combo. They don't really do clean clean, but you get a good slightly-dirty bluesy clean by maxing the gain on the crunch channel (great for heavy rock) and then rolling off the guitar volume. Lead tone is to die for.
    <space for hire>
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    theres a large amount of deja vu with this thread..........might be me age tho
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Amt Stonehead for solid state, small, 4 channel amp.

Laney vh100r for a multi channel, crystal clean through to awesome amounts of bone crushing sludge amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheDarkLordTheDarkLord Frets: 34
    edited December 2013
    koss59 said:
    What sort of sound are you after? 

I'm rubbish at describing sounds.  I'm a bass player, you need to be gentle with me.  However, I'm a MASSIIIIIIIIIIVE Stranglers fan ...... and, in particular, a huuuuuge  Hugh Cornwell fan.  I like his sound.  He appears to play an old Vox AC30 sometimes - although, I saw him in The States a few weeks back and he was playing through a Fender DeVille (I think).

Have a listen to this tone ...... which I recorded live at one of his gigs in the UK last year.  This is what I want:

www.mclinden.co.uk/giaw.mp3

Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    Mesa Trem-o-verb

It is, indeed, the One Amp To Rule Them All.

Really... it will do everything. Loud enough for any stage, compact enough for almost any, huge tone, great master volume that works down to very low level, great reverb, fantastic build quality, cheap for the amount of power and flexibility. The cleans are 'Marshall cleans' not 'Fender cleans', so it's not all that squeaky-clean, although it can get fairly close if you want it to.

And I'm selling one :). (Just to be clear, not both of them ;). )

There is one little tiny disadvantage which I should probably mention, but you don't really need to bother yourself too much about it...

Weighs 98lb.

To be fair it has great handles and good wheels, and isn't quite as much of a pain to move as you might think, but it's still very heavy to lift straight up, like into the back of a car.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a 5:25 (non-plus). It's brilliant. Every time I go a while without plugging into it I think it's not that special and I'd rather have something else, then I go back and check and I find whatever tone I thought it couldn't do with little more than a twist of the eq knobs. It's capable of Very Loud when you need it, but still sounds good low on the dial on the 5 watt mode. They're overpriced from new in the UK but are usually a proper bargain secondhand. Easy one hand carry too (one of my main criteria for an amp!)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    I've had the DT25 and you should definitely give it a try, very nice amp can do loud and Home volumes easy,plus can do fender,vox or Marshall cleans with the bonus of huge amounts of gain if needed.
  • Mesa Dual Rectifier, far more versatile than you may expect.

(I hear great things about the Trem-o-verb though ^^^)
  • Good old garden variety Classic 30 should do the trick.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    This is what Moses went up the Mount to find out... he came down a broken man...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Ive sadly nothing to contribute here except to say, if possible, as the Dark Lord it would be great if all your posts were as Tolkien related as this one. Lord of the Ring Mod thread is looking likely?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Carvin V3m  and the Bugera Trirec Infinium are VERY good amps. and I'll have a V3m one day! They're rather lovely ;)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    57Deluxe said:
    This is what Moses went up the Mount to find out... he came down a broken man…
    That's because he was carrying a Trem-o-verb in each hand.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mesa Roadster is my pick, but it won't be small enough or light enough the way I like it best (head plus Rectifier 4x12). Beyond that I'd be inclined to go for a Kemper/Axe FX 2 rig for light and versatile.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    None of the world-ruling amps are in the OP.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Sounds like a Vox AC15 would be an obvious place to start - a Fender DeVille would be great but bigger, louder and more of a nuisance than what you're after - what's the smaller version? Blues Junior? Following that thought through, I bet it would be worth checking out a Fender Deluxe Reverb, or a Vibrolux. Traynor YGM-3?

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    Last week I would have said a Dual Rec

Now I'm adding the 50W version of the EVH 5150 to the list.

It's brilliant.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Diezel VH4.

Given that you seem to be looking for a small combo, this post isn't of much use.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • I played around with a DT25 a year back in a shop.  Was very impressed with the clean and the dirty.  Couldn't justify buying as I don't gig, but if i did I would be very tempted.