Strat builders

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    edited July 2016
    Sassafras;1142576" said:
    As @armitaan mentioned, Bravewood are hard to beat. I don't know if he makes them from trees that grow in his own garden but however he makes them, they're the closest to good pre-CBS Strats I've ever played.
    The ones I have seen have been top notch, and I do believe he is one of the few who does do 90%+ of the process himself.

Hardly custom though, he wont let you chose anything that didn't come on, or later happen to, original fenders... Wont let many people chose anything at all. I like that, but I know many see it as arrogant

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    edited July 2016 tFB Trader
    Yes ok bespoke might be more appropriate.

Mind you I don't make replica strats or tele's, wouldn't know where to start.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    customkits;1142594" said:
    Yes ok bespoke might be more appropriate.

Mind you I don't make replica strats or tele's, wouldn't know where to start.

Choosing the wood is still a good place ;)

edited July 2016 tFB Trader
    Start with the bolts that's where all the tone is.

Btw I'll be posting up pics of our strat style soon, looks great in clear nitro imo
    My tele is nearly done in a lovely junior style red in case you don't like the look of limba.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    customkits;1142614" said:
    Start with the bolts that's where all the tone is.
    Nah, screws man.

tFB Trader
    See I know nothing of screws apart from I don't need them.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • armitaanarmitaan Frets: 380
    WezV said:
    Sassafras;1142576" said:
    As @armitaan mentioned, Bravewood are hard to beat. I don't know if he makes them from trees that grow in his own garden but however he makes them, they're the closest to good pre-CBS Strats I've ever played.
    The ones I have seen have been top notch, and I do believe he is one of the few who does do 90%+ of the process himself.

Hardly custom though, he wont let you chose anything that didn't come on, or later happen to, original fenders... Wont let many people chose anything at all. I like that, but I know many see it as arrogant

I must have got lucky , he's doing me a daphne blue with tortoise guard routed for HSS and a SSS mint guard with a 12" braz board, though had no interest in adding an extra fret :)
  • armitaanarmitaan Frets: 380
    Sry that's extras for the one guitar rather than two!
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    edited July 2016
    WezV said:
    Do you also chop down the trees?

I have been playing a guitar which was that.  The guitar was made by a chap who's wood came from a tree in his front garden which he used to make a flamenco guitar with.  

Not at all relevant to this thread but it's a pretty individual guitar!  
    tFB Trader
    Do you know what tree it was, I'd be interested in how it sounds too.
    I'm always looking at different tonewood, home grown would be a nice alternative.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Do you know what tree it was, I'd be interested in how it sounds too.
    I'm always looking at different tonewood, home grown would be a nice alternative.
    Yep, Lawson's Cypress aka Port Orford Cedar.  

This is the guitar he built which he kindly provided on loan. 

There are a lot of those kind of trees around South London, fairly sure a few would be large enough for a guitar body!  Seen a few places selling English grown Lebanon Cedar as well, which I reckon could be used for an electric as well. 

Do you make acoustics as well?  When it comes to 'alternative tone woods' some of the best sounding guitars I've played came from a Black Walnut tree which grew in Kew Gardens.  IMO, English Walnut is up there with the best tone woods for acoustic guitars.  

(apologies to the OP for going off topic)

tFB Trader
    I originally learnt how to make accoustics
    My last one was a few years ago now, spruce top, amazon rosewood back and sides and a flame maple neck
    My own shape based on a scaled down j200
    I put a burst on it Inc the back of neck.

I've been doing electrics ever since.
    I've got an english burr walnut cap to use, it'll look spectacular on a thinline tele.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    earwighoney;1142691" said:
    WezV said:Do you also chop down the trees?

I have been playing a guitar which was that.  The guitar was made by a chap who's wood came from a tree in his front garden which he used to make a flamenco guitar with.  

Not at all relevant to this thread but it's a pretty individual guitar!  

Perfect example, there is always that guy that takes it one step further...

Trying to bring this back on topic, I guess the question is whether one person doing all is better than one person assembling parts.

I actually think its better for a builder to know there strengths and get help with their weaknesses. And I would add the caveat about honesty.

There are enough brilliant factory made guitars to show that there is no point being snobby about it
    tFB Trader
    Yes but everyone knows if it's a factory made guitar when they buy it.

I think there's a difference if it's hand made, if someone puts something together that's made by other people it's a kit/partscaster whatever you want to call it.

I'm probably coming at it from making acoustics first, they're all hand made and that's the way I'll always do them
    By hand from start to finish.

I used to spray for a living years ago so that's why I do my own, I had to learn about nitro though and fading bursts etc

I might have a go at acrylic at some point but only on non replica stuff.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    WezV said:
    Trying to bring this back on topic, I guess the question is whether one person doing all is better than one person assembling parts.

I actually think its better for a builder to know there strengths and get help with their weaknesses. And I would add the caveat about honesty.

There are enough brilliant factory made guitars to show that there is no point being snobby about it
    Maybe get back to Strats?

Post up some links of your 42nd Street Esquire. IMO, if you are really happy with it I'd go back to her to get a Strat from her.  When it comes to getting a custom guitar, having a good working relationship is a very important thing. 

• mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 328
    @earwighoney

It's this one

http://www.42ndstreetguitars.co.uk/guitarsDetail.php?T5E-Blackguard-5

Mine is the actual one in the promotional pics on the website. I think you are right, I know the guitars she makes, I have tried several that are featured on the website and bought the esquire. They are exceptional guitars and as a builder Angela is so friendly and approachable I think I will stick with her for the strat build
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 464
    SidNewton;1139799" said:
    mark_j6 I have for a while now been pretty set on having a strat built by Simon Law at SVL guitars and have been slowly gathering the funds together.

However browsing the Charles guitars website and I see they are now offering a strat build with great looking specs, 7 day trail period and significantly less outlay than the SVL.

Anyone tried either of these?

I've been thinking the same regarding an SLV but in the last week became aware of Charles Guitars. Seems great value for money, Callaham hardware, quality pickups, quarter sawn neck etc.

@JCA2250 do you know for sure that Simon makes his own necks and bodies? There's a quote from him on the USA Custom Guitars site about using their services. I'm sure someone on here or the old Music Radar site said something about the SVL guitars using USACG necks and bodies. As for his pickups I was under the impression they were made by Amalfitano??
    My SVL61 has Amalfitano pickups which is what Simon favoured at the time, having talked to him before and during the build and staying in touch on Facebook he does,or did make the necks and bodies not sure about the plastics though. Everything else was sourced Callaham hardware cts etc. I don't know how he's putting SVL guitars together at the moment as mine is about 5 years old now.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4908

Personally I'd just get all the individual parts from USACG, Warmoth and Callaham etc and get a luthier to put it together or just do a final set up. I think this would be every bit as good as a high end replica and save about £1500. It might be a partscaster but I look at all Strat types as partacasters considering they were designed by Leo Fender to be mass produced with the minimum of fuss. In fact the very notion of there being high custom versions of something that was designed to be easy and cheap to put together is slightly odd to me. Others may disagree!
    menamestom;1144841" said:

Personally I'd just get all the individual parts from USACG, Warmoth and Callaham etc and get a luthier to put it together or just do a final set up. I think this would be every bit as good as a high end replica and save about £1500. It might be a partscaster but I look at all Strat types as partacasters considering they were designed by Leo Fender to be mass produced with the minimum of fuss. In fact the very notion of there being high custom versions of something that was designed to be easy and cheap to put together is slightly odd to me. Others may disagree!
    I agree in principle, but there are 2 issues with that

1) home build partscaster resale will always be less than a known brand "partscaster"

2) The price difference wont be anywhere near £1500 for many of the builders mentioned here.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4908
    WezV;1144842" said:
    [quote="menamestom;1144841"]
    I agree in principle, but there are 2 issues with that

1) home build partscaster resale will always be less than a known brand "partscaster"

2) The price difference wont be anywhere near £1500 for many of the builders mentioned here.[/quote]

Well the SVL's are £2500 - £3000, I think you could get something similar for say £1200 ish? Technically it would be a home built but I'd probably get a guy local to me to put it together if I did it again, he charges around £100.
    The best option financially would probably be a 2nd hand CS Strat where you'd probably lose nothing. But yeah, if resale value is a consideration partscasters are not the best option.