Ridiculous Quote for Windows

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Everest are rip-off merchants. They were doing that 35% off scam twenty years ago when we needed some fitted.

We went with a reputable local company who specifically didn't do any of that, gave us a fixed price with no pressure, cut-off dates or other crap, and we got better windows fitted for half of the best price Everest would quote.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    I've been told in the past there's only about 3 companies worldwide that make the  extrusions for upvc windows. What really makes the difference is the skill of the fitters. Cowboys use a couple of screws and then rely on loads of expanding foam, a decent fitter won't. 
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    ICBM said:
    Everest are rip-off merchants. They were doing that 35% off scam twenty years ago when we needed some fitted.

So much for it being a one-off 25 year special offer...
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    When we needed all the steel-frame single-glazed windows and patio doors replacing in the ancient house we'd just purchased, we invited four different firms round at the same time and got them to measure-up and quote on the spot.

The initial phone quotes were £15k-£16k.

We ended-up paying £6750.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I've had loads of tradesman round having bought a fixer upper a year ago.
    I haven't bought from any who start high then reduce the price for made up reasons, and I make sure I tell them why.
    If we all did this then companies would stop doing it, because it wouldn't work!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    I'd love to get my knackered old painted-shut sash windows replaced, but I've always been put off by the hassles of (a) determining who makes good quality replacements and (b) going through all this bullshit getting quotes.  I know they play these stupid games with "limited" offers, special discounts etc. and I'm simply not very good at haggling.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Philly_Q said:
    I'd love to get my knackered old painted-shut sash windows replaced, but I've always been put off by the hassles of (a) determining who makes good quality replacements and (b) going through all this bullshit getting quotes.  I know they play these stupid games with "limited" offers, special discounts etc. and I'm simply not very good at haggling.

Go to a local tradesman then-they'll give you a quote and won't want any haggling. These massive quotes that you have to haggle for are bullshit and companies to avoid-why would someone charge you £15,000 yet cut 50% off it after a series of you saying no? A cunt that's who, and one that would take the £15,000 off a more vulnerable person. It's sickening behaviour and some twat did it to my Grandmother a few years ago-cost her (without us knowing about it, trying to stay independent) £3,000 to cement up a few roof tiles (which needed replacing shortly after by myself).

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    When doing gold or platinum jewellery quotes we took the material costs and timed them by 2.8 (silver you have to make up as the metal is shit and priced accordingly). 

None of this "Oi well Oi can do it for £500, OK OK your twisting moi arm but £400, wait moi boss is giving me the nod... How about £100" that you get from the Hatton Garden lot... Just set a price that is enough for materials + labour + some profit... Surely no one pays the £19k price
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    Iamnobody said:
    As a very rough guide based on my recent window shopping I would expect to pay in the region of £1k for a composite door, no more than £500 for a UPVC door and somewhere between £300-500 per window or a grand to £1500 for a large bay. Add 10-20% on for any fancy leading or design.

So your expectation of £5k is pretty much spot on. It might be worth trying a local company. We did that and as well as getting a tour of the factory we got a great service.

yes
    and £800-1000 for a composite door
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    My understanding is that any offer designed to pressure you into committing there and then ('I can only guarantee this price until Friday') is a breach of the Consumer Protection Regulations.

As a ballpark figure - my builder friend reckons an average of about £500 per window is about right - unless it's particularly big or unusual.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    Iamnobody said:
    As a very rough guide based on my recent window shopping I would expect to pay in the region of £1k for a composite door, no more than £500 for a UPVC door and somewhere between £300-500 per window or a grand to £1500 for a large bay. Add 10-20% on for any fancy leading or design.

So your expectation of £5k is pretty much spot on. It might be worth trying a local company. We did that and as well as getting a tour of the factory we got a great service.

On that basis mine (two small windows, a big bay at the front and a huge sash window in the kitchen) should cost about £4k, maybe £5k, which I think is roughly what some local glaziers told me when I had them in to repair a broken pane.  They weren't in the replacement windows business themselves so they had no reason to overstate it.

That doesn't sound too bad.

• jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    My understanding is that any offer designed to pressure you into committing there and then ('I can only guarantee this price until Friday') is a breach of the Consumer Protection Regulations.

As a ballpark figure - my builder friend reckons an average of about £500 per window is about right - unless it's particularly big or unusual.
    ToneControl said:

yes
    and £800-1000 for a composite door

Coincidentally enough I just spoke to my dad's partner who has her own house and she is having some windows/doors done by a local firm (as I found out today) and the prices are pretty much in line with this.

I told the postman too about Everest (who just delivered some preamp valves) and he was equally incredulous. 
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1826

Safestyle gave me a quote ten years ago. I'd another two quotes elsewhere told him the price I was willing to pay. I didn't want a sales pitch, silly demonstrations of sale prices etc just could he match this price. If he couldn't he should tell me now, we go our separate ways and we don't waste each other's time.

He was given a piece of paper with the exact measurements he needed so didn't have to measure up and after thinking about it for probably two minutes of silence he agreed to beat the quote. I was really surprised and ended up going with them in the end.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    about 12 years ago, I asked Anglian to come round to give me a quote
    I told them that I would not be buying, that I wanted a quote so that I'd know what I'd figure to start saving and that I'd actually be interested in buying in around 12 to 18 months..
    so they send around this fella.. he starts putting on videos.. I said "no vids, just measure up and quote"
    he starts pulling out samples.. I told him "I don't want to see samples this year.. I just want a quote cos I want to buy next year"..
    the fkr just went on and on and wouldn't measure up or anything..
    I told him just to get on with it or he could leave..
    so, he measured up, we picked the style of window and he worked it all out..
    eventually he quoted something that looked more like a phone number than a price.. I said thanks and was about to show him out, when he started talking about this months discount..
    I told him "I'm not buying them this year".. then he says he may be able to improve the price if he tweaked a few things..
    "I… am not… buying them… this year"
    as you can imagine, he price starts tumbling…
    so he says he'll phone the office and starts making a call but this special price would only be available today..
    I said "I have no money for this right now.. I just want a quote.. this is so that I know how much I need to save… so.. I will not be buying this year.. have you not been listening to me??"
    he said "this is an amazing offer you can only get this now"
    I said "I don't care if it's 1000 for the lot.. today.. as in right now, I have nothing for this.. I just want a quote"
    he said "so you're not going to buy them.."
    "no.. not this year"
    "why did you make me go through all this if you're not going to buy them?"
    "cos I just wanted a quote.. which is what I said when I made the booking"
    he went mental… he asked "is it cos I'm black?".. he was an Asian fella
    I told "get out of my house… right now"
    and then called Anglian and complained..
    then I fitted my windows the following year with a different company
    play every note as if it were your first
    2reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    19K?!  We got our whole house redone with engineered hardwood windows with double/triple glazing, plus bay window and front door for about half that.

• jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    I've just paid £2600 for 4 massive windows and two doors in a fancy grey on the outside and white on the inside colour, The first quote was £3500 so it pays to shop about. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    I just had 2 double french  windows with  a 20 inch glass panel down each side, with dark rosewood (what else?) on the outside, £3k  from the  local place that has been going 30 years, and comes back after warranty expires to fix stuff
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30215
    We had all three doors done about five years ago. First to quote were Anglian, who dicked around, quoted £12k, dropped it immediately on frosty stares to £6k, then offered to set us up as a show home for an 8% discount, then did some sums on his calculator (at one point muttering "carry the five"), then Lady BMcH threw him out and told him to come back when he had a clue.

Second chap from a local independent had a look, said "Am I right that you want three simple doors that are hard to kick in?" and quoted under three grand. He got the job. Promised installation before Crimbo (this in October) and met it.

I wouldn't bother with a national again.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 866
    edited July 2016
    its all sales bullshit.  Quote STUPIDLY high prices, then offer what looks like a great deal - then phone manager for a one day only super reduction -- all of which are still WAY over a decent price.  

I ve had it on windows (safestyle), built in wardrobes (cant remember who - like sliderobes but not them) and a boiler (british gas no less).

I did my house - a 4 bed semi.  3 large bedroom windows,  1 med bedroom window and 1 small (one bedroom has two windows) along with the bathroom one.  Downstairs we had one large in the UT room, one large, 1 med and 1 small in the kitchen, a very large bay in the dining room, a wide set of french doors (two) from the living room to garden, and a front door with fancy glass.  Total cost, a natch over £5k.
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    Everest are named after the highest thing in the world for a very good reason.

But Anglia seem to be almost as bad.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom