Five Guys

What's Hot
DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
Went here for a burger last night and honestly don't know what to think.

I got this:

https://i.imgur.com/ryXQvHe.jpg

Very nice but it was £8.75 and was gone in 5 minutes. Thats all I got because fries were £4 for regular and drinks were £2.50.

So it would have been £15 for a meal, which is about what I pay for the same food at Handmade Burger, however that feels like a restaurant and you get a waitress, whereas Five Guys feels more like Burger King.
A comparable meal at BK would be about £6 and I didn't feel the quality was that far apart.

Anyone else been, and what did you think? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    They've just opened one in Abu Dhabi. I shall visit and report back! 

I do like Shake Shack a lot, though that's even more money.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I've been a few times...I think it is expensive, and not the kind of place you go often, but like it. The burgers are very nice, fries great, and I think the drinks are unlimited refills (though not sure you'd go back more than once). I also like the fact you can specify exactly what you want on the burger....great for people like me who have loads of salad and toppings, but I guess it makes it even more expensive for those that like a plain burger.

To sum up....nice, but expensive.

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    That looks shit to be fair, maybe it's the angle but like you say, £15 can get you a decent scran in a lot of places (personally not a fan of Handmade-but only went once when it first opened so might have improved).

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• I like 5 Guys. Not cheap... but the food is at a different quality level compared with the usual fast food burger places... so I think it's worth it. The fries are great... and it's nice to choose your own combination of burger toppings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    Yeah that's the thing with free refills. They charge you extra because you can go back unlimited times, but they know you're not going to do so.
    They do the same at Subway, but it's still pretty cheap and they do Robinsons Blackcurrant and Apple so I can get loads of them haha.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    ugghhh! Don't like the look of that burger at all. You couldn't pay me to eat that. Quite frankly you couldn't pay me to look at it for 10 minutes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    Been to the one in Glasgow, overpriced Burger King standard food, no end of potato sacks scattered around the room can warrant the prices.

Was OK, but nothing special, bit of a Burger King for hipsters
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
     Two word review -  Shit sandwich.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I've been before

It was ok, not much better than a fast food joint but quite a lot more

Music was needlessly loud as well
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 471
    I think it's decent enough, but expensive for what it is. There's better burger places about.
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    lloyd said:
    That looks shit to be fair, maybe it's the angle but like you say, £15 can get you a decent scran in a lot of places (personally not a fan of Handmade-but only went once when it first opened so might have improved).

Handmade Burger has some great stuff but some real shit as well. The Mexican burger is nice.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27081
    Never been, but outside of street food stalls I haven't had better than the Handmade Burger Co's burgers anywhere.
    <space for hire>
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
     DefaultM said:
    Went here for a burger last night and honestly don't know what to think.

I got this:

https://i.imgur.com/ryXQvHe.jpg

Very nice but it was £8.75 and was gone in 5 minutes. Thats all I got because fries were £4 for regular and drinks were £2.50.

So it would have been £15 for a meal, which is about what I pay for the same food at Handmade Burger, however that feels like a restaurant and you get a waitress, whereas Five Guys feels more like Burger King.
    A comparable meal at BK would be about £6 and I didn't feel the quality was that far apart.

Anyone else been, and what did you think? 

It looks revolting. I don't like fast food. I went to the Bristol one with a friend, she persuaded me to buy one, and it was shite. Sadly we then went to see X-Men: Apocalypse which was even worse. 

The burgers I make at home are better. Curried pork and mango chutney with black nigella seeds: 4 of those cost under £4 if you buy right. Made turkey and hoi sin burgers last week :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 535
    In the US, they're only slightly more expensive than BK, so they're a great option, and I was excited when I found out they were opening here until I walked in and saw the prices.
  • not impressed with the one in Leicester, eat and go fast food set up with pub/restaurant pricing, had better for less...

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I've had HBK twice and both times the burgers have been really oniony and unpleasant.

Burger King is more than £6 for a meal every time I've seen it recently, and awful, I'd much rather have McDs.

Five Guys burgers are nice, and a regular fries is easily enough for two people, and the unlimited drink is a Freestyle machine, and theyre awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    DefaultM said:
    lloyd said:

Handmade Burger has some great stuff but some real shit as well. The Mexican burger is nice.
    When I went they had hundreds (literally) to choose from, how the fuck can you have a menu that large and all of it be good?

Like I say, I've never been back, I would if a group wanted to go, but life's too short and there's too many good places to go to go back to somewhere that isn't excellent every time.

Handmade in Manchester is next door to Hawksmoor, for about £2 more (once you've ordered your fries and sides) you can get a burger in Hawksmoor, it's a no brainer. There's an Almost Famous round the corner too, which is quality.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

Yeah it did look a fucking mess. I couldn't take a bite because it was too thick, and then loads of toppings fell out all over my hand. 
  • I've never been in five guys. 

I've never even been in one to be fair.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 852
    I love Five Guys.  Yes it's expensive - but I think it's worth it as an occasional thing.   It's high-end fast food, better than the usual McBurgerKing affair, but it's a very simple business model.   Fresh ingredients, made how ever you want.

The missus and I go and it costs about £22 for the both of us (Share a fries as they're massive).   At BK we normally pay about £15.  The unlimited refills, quality and freshness make it worth the extra £7 IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom