Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Religion in School

What's Hot

Comments

• Speak to the school calmly about it. There's a chance they were discussing God as part of a wider lesson on religion or faith. I'd let him know your views on the subject too so he has the most balanced and informed view possible.

Anyway I'm out.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• If they have to teach it, then it should be taught in an un-biased way by a teacher who has no beliefs and presented as facts about the religion in full. 
    So should the teacher be an atheist, or an agnostic? Or someone who doesn't actually give a shit about the topic they're teaching? Why can't a religious believer be unbiased? Wouldn't a confirmed atheist be just as biased?

Facts about the religion in full? How many hours a week do you think we should devote to this? I'm sure they could at least do a bit of myth-busting, like a slightly fuller social/religious/historical context for the Crusades, or about the diversity of attitudes to women within the major world religions.

FWIW, I think children should be taught about religion in something like this way. Given that something like 84% of the world have some sort of religious belief, ignorance of all of them seems like a bad idea. 
    I agree a full coverage of all faiths is really important, but it's when the lines between fact and faith are blurred is the issue, I have no issue with people being religious, but have a real problem when people foist their beliefs on others, especially to young impressionable minds and even more do when coming from scene in a trusted educational position.
    i think the OP was expressing concern that his child is being told that God created the world in seven days, or that the sky is blue because God wants to be etc.
    its an easy get out for a lazy teacher, or for a Teacher with an agenda to influence young minds.

Isn't it "foisting your beliefs on others" to tell your kids that God doesn't exist? If there's one educational position a child will trust more than a teacher, it's a parent. People pass on all sorts of beliefs to their kids all the time.

And FWIW, the OP didn't say that his child had been taught anything other than that "God made everything"- nothing about seven-day creation or the sky being blue because God wants it to be. That's your interpretation of what the statement means, and it's only one of a whole range of views.
    I'm not asking the teacher to do that, I'm asking the teacher to point out that there is no proof. And before you counter, no I don't have to prove that God doesn't exist. :-)

Neither side of the debate can prove their point, but that's exactly my point. You can't object to one person presenting your child with an unproven view of the world that you don't agree with, but not object to an equally unproven view that you do happen to share. That's not "critical thinking" or "skepticism", or providing a "balanced view".

Of course, "God exists" and "God does not exist" are only the extreme views in a spectrum:

Image result for dawkins scale
    All a little over a 5 year old's head of course.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • But I don't think it's right or proper that a teacher should have such a serious and harmful bias, which let's face it I don't think you could say of Gary Lineker. So yes, just as the school shouldn't employ certain convicted criminals, so they also shouldn't employ a religious person who can't keep their bias to themselves.
    What makes religious faith a "serious and harmful bias"?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    edited October 2016
    But I don't think it's right or proper that a teacher should have such a serious and harmful bias, which let's face it I don't think you could say of Gary Lineker. So yes, just as the school shouldn't employ certain convicted criminals, so they also shouldn't employ a religious person who can't keep their bias to themselves.
    The "fact" that an invisible sky fairy watches over us and will allow us to absolve ourselves of responsibility as in "It's God's will". All Abrahamic religions do this, some flavours and denominations more than others. Surely it's better to teach individual responsibility, logical thinking and ethics not tinged by superstition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5014
    It is important that children are taught facts in school. It is also important that children are informed that there are questions that cannot be answered. Questions like 'what happens us when we die'. Religion of one sort or another goes back a very long time. I believe that children should be taught the principles of the strongest religion in their country. Christianity in the case of UK residents. Later other religions can be brought in to show that some people think differently. Ditto with agnostics etc. Ultimately it is the parents responsibility what their child learns and/or believes in. Many parents have abdicated their responsibilities in the issue of religious education  and then blame the school and teachers for doing their job as they deem necessary.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I believe the children are our future...
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1973
    I put my kids "straight" on religion from a very early age. However I also instilled in them the need to respect others points of view / religious beliefs. Throughout their school years we have been able to laugh at the ridiculous assertions of some of the RE teachers. My daughter took RE for GCSE and passed with a very good grade, my son has sidestepped the subject altogether.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    telling kids there is a god is not part of the national curriculum. Telling kids that different faiths exist and what they choose to believe, is. If the facts remain that your school has been doing the former above, I would complain. This sort of indoctrination really winds me up.

faith schools my arse, they should all be banned.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774

If they have to teach it, then it should be taught in an un-biased way by a teacher who has no beliefs and presented as facts about the religion in full. 
    So should the teacher be an atheist, or an agnostic? Or someone who doesn't actually give a shit about the topic they're teaching? Why can't a religious believer be unbiased? Wouldn't a confirmed atheist be just as biased?

Facts about the religion in full? How many hours a week do you think we should devote to this? I'm sure they could at least do a bit of myth-busting, like a slightly fuller social/religious/historical context for the Crusades, or about the diversity of attitudes to women within the major world religions.

FWIW, I think children should be taught about religion in something like this way. Given that something like 84% of the world have some sort of religious belief, ignorance of all of them seems like a bad idea. 
    I agree a full coverage of all faiths is really important, but it's when the lines between fact and faith are blurred is the issue, I have no issue with people being religious, but have a real problem when people foist their beliefs on others, especially to young impressionable minds and even more do when coming from scene in a trusted educational position.
    i think the OP was expressing concern that his child is being told that God created the world in seven days, or that the sky is blue because God wants to be etc.
    its an easy get out for a lazy teacher, or for a Teacher with an agenda to influence young minds.

Isn't it "foisting your beliefs on others" to tell your kids that God doesn't exist? If there's one educational position a child will trust more than a teacher, it's a parent. People pass on all sorts of beliefs to their kids all the time.

And FWIW, the OP didn't say that his child had been taught anything other than that "God made everything"- nothing about seven-day creation or the sky being blue because God wants it to be. That's your interpretation of what the statement means, and it's only one of a whole range of views.
    I'm not asking the teacher to do that, I'm asking the teacher to point out that there is no proof. And before you counter, no I don't have to prove that God doesn't exist. :-)

Neither side of the debate can prove their point, but that's exactly my point. You can't object to one person presenting your child with an unproven view of the world that you don't agree with, but not object to an equally unproven view that you do happen to share. That's not "critical thinking" or "skepticism", or providing a "balanced view".

Of course, "God exists" and "God does not exist" are only the extreme views in a spectrum:

Image result for dawkins scale
    All a little over a 5 year old's head of course.
    Jesus Christ you're an idiot.

The assertion that god doesn't exist is not a belief, it's an scientific assumption.

The assertion that god does exist is a belief.

Telling your kid the first one isn't asserting your beliefs on the kid.

Telling our kid the second is.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    But I don't think it's right or proper that a teacher should have such a serious and harmful bias, which let's face it I don't think you could say of Gary Lineker. So yes, just as the school shouldn't employ certain convicted criminals, so they also shouldn't employ a religious person who can't keep their bias to themselves.
    That fact that an invisible sky fairy watches over us and will allow us to absolve ourselves of responsibility as in "It's God's will". All Abrahamic religions do this, some flavours and denominations more than others. Surely it's better to teach individual responsibility, logical thinking and ethics not tinged by superstition.
    I was sort of going to write that, although i probably wouldn't have put it quite so well. Also the notion that I can not be sin-free without religion, that I can not exercise good moral judgement without religion, that I can not feel compelled to help my fellow man without religion. These are all basic human traits, in some cases contradicted by certain religions and/or flawed interpretations of religious texts.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Reverend said:
    Nikko said:
    DLM said:
    Reverend said:

Toast is god. 

http://underthetapestry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/JesusOnToast2.jpg

Bears a striking resemblance to Ola Englund, too....

And Tony Iommi...
    Ah.. the complex metaphysics of the holy trinity. Toast, Marmite and Iommi.

@Reverend Whilst I feel our beliefs are strongly aligned, I ask that the following images be considered:

http://www.nationalrockreview.com/wp-content/gallery/olaenglund-sweetwatersound-fortwayne_in-20140821-chuckmarshall/OlaEnglund-SweetWaterSound-FortWayne_IN-20140821-ChuckMarshall-006.jpg

= Face on the toast

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2406391308/xsa86gvhchei9ek1z99o.jpeg

≠ Face on the toast 

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
    Who went ahead and got religion into the mix? :/

I went to a non religious primary school in the 80s.
     Well apart from the head teacher blasting away on an old upright piano. And making us sing weird songs about being cold, hungry and naked.....
    Tbf we did go on a school trip to a local Hindu temple. As a youngster i thought that was the coolest thing ever. Our western deity was basically Noel Edmonds but they have a man with an elephant's head.

My parents aren't religious at all. But if I wanted to lean that way, so long as I didn't try and convert anyone else they wouldn't mind. 

To the op its really up to you how you want to handle things with the school. I would certainly say something to them. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5115
    DLM said:
    Reverend said:
    Nikko said:
    DLM said:
    Reverend said:

Toast is god. 

http://underthetapestry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/JesusOnToast2.jpg

Bears a striking resemblance to Ola Englund, too....

And Tony Iommi...
    Ah.. the complex metaphysics of the holy trinity. Toast, Marmite and Iommi.

@Reverend Whilst I feel our beliefs are strongly aligned, I ask that the following images be considered:

http://www.nationalrockreview.com/wp-content/gallery/olaenglund-sweetwatersound-fortwayne_in-20140821-chuckmarshall/OlaEnglund-SweetWaterSound-FortWayne_IN-20140821-ChuckMarshall-006.jpg

= Face on the toast

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2406391308/xsa86gvhchei9ek1z99o.jpeg

≠ Face on the toast 

Well duh...

that's clearly a young Lemmy on the toast.

• If they have to teach it, then it should be taught in an un-biased way by a teacher who has no beliefs and presented as facts about the religion in full. 

From your posts, I'm assuming ( rightly or wrongly) that you are yourself religious, that's cool, whatever you like man., I myself ( I'm sure you have guessed) am anti-religion, by that I mean not that I am an atheist, I actively disapprove of organised religion as a concept, I believe that is causes more problems than it solves.

The OP stated that his child had been making statements along the lines of "God made everything" this is worrying to me, because we know for a fact, that a pretty much everything in the known universe is in fact made by other processes than a Devine being, a teacher ( as much as a parent) has a duty to educate with the best information available at that time, and the existence of a deity relies on the emotional willingness of the individual to believe, it's not like explaining photosynthesis, or evaporation, those are provable, demonstrable facts, and that is what a child should be learning.

I do have a problem with religion, and thusly religious people,my issue is the influence that religion has on the world, last Sunday I ran out of wall fixings for a diy project, I was unable to buy new ones because my local b and q was closed, the reason? Sunday trading laws, laws controlling when shops of a certain size can be open on a Sunday, why Sunday? It's a supposedly religious day, not religious to me, I don't give a stuff about whose invisible friend did or didn't shag a swan or whatever, but it impacts on my life.
    now imagine the other end of the scale, where someone's son/daughter/partner has been killed by an act of terror, somebody's belief drove them to consider it their duty to blow themselves up, or drive a truck through a crowd, then this is celebrated by authorities within that religion.

is that the kind of thing you want to push a child towards? 
    Why would you want an innocent child to associated with those types of people?

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2606
    tFB Trader
    is that god, or God, which god ...... Some Christians don't realize they use Christian jargon all the time, because it is normal in their circles.

either that or the school is trying to brain wash your child, and next he will be loyally giving his teachers a 10% tithe out of his pocket money.... just joking. that would never happen.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    Ban all religion in schools. All of it. Every school. We don't allow maths teachers to teach 2+2=5 so we shouldn't allow other irrational beliefs to be perpetuated. 

If people want to indoctrinate their kids, they should do.it themselves or get their church/synagogue/mosque to do it on their behalf. 

Maybe eventually we will kill it off.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    Hope springs eternal!
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited October 2016
    lloyd said:

The assertion that god doesn't exist is not a belief, it's an scientific assumption.

Isn't a belief really just a position based on an assumption. Christians say God exists because they assume it is the case without proof. Full-on atheists say God does not exist because they assume it is the case without proof (obviously...since there can't be practical proof of non-existence).

Telling a kid that there is no God (or Santa Claus, or unicorns) is just as logically wrong as telling a kid that there is a God.

From what I have read and what I have observed I certainly think that there is a realistic chance that there is a God of some description. I certainly would never tell someone that there is no God as a matter of fact (not saying that you are).

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    lloyd said:

Isn't a belief really just a position based on an assumption. Christians say God exists because they assume it is the case without proof. Full-on atheists say God does not exist because they assume it is the case without proof (obviously...since there can't be practical proof of non-existence).

Telling a kid that there is no God (or Santa Claus, or unicorns) is just as logically wrong as telling a kid that there is a God.

From what I have read and what I have observed I certainly think that there is a realistic chance that there is a God of some description. I certainly would never tell someone that there is no God as a matter of fact (not saying that you are).

No, sorry. The "belief" that something doesn't exist isn't a belief. That was the status quo for many thousands of years, there was no question. Then religion was invented and the burden of proof lies with the religious.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    lloyd said:

Fucking hell, Mr Logic from the Viz enters another debate.

If you want break it down to a micro-level then fine, but no, in the real world failing to recognize an abstract concept/idea/incident through an absence of evidence does not equal "a belief" it's an absence of belief in something that when we apply the scientific method to we have to accept that it is overwhelmingly probable that it does not exist-to the point that we have to say it does not (with an * next to it).

We can't be certain that there isn't a giant invisible man ensuring the world keeps spinning by whacking it with his 8 mile long cock can we? But we don't say that the belief of that is just as valid as somebody's assertion that they can fairly happily state that there isn't one and point out all the facts we do know about why the earth spins.

The same goes for god-everything in the old testament has been killed by facts disproving it, now it's all allegories and metaphor, the same is slowly happening with the new testament.

So no, they're weighted differently apart from in your anal logic world.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom