Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My acoustic-choosing journey

What's Hot

Comments

• Hmm, I've never tried an Avalon - I'll have to! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7685
    Hmm, I've never tried an Avalon - I'll have to! :)
    You'll have a job - there doesn't seem to be a dealer in the UK other than the factory shop. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12057
    edited October 2016
    TimmyO said:
    Hmm, I've never tried an Avalon - I'll have to!
    You'll have a job - there doesn't seem to be a dealer in the UK other than the factory shop. 
    they do some guitar shows

other than visiting the workshop,  you could contact them and ask if any shows are planned near you, or if any artist-endorsers are near you.

In reality though,  most of the guitars they sell are very similar to  the long-standing Lowden models they used to make, so you can probably work out which ones suit you just by trying Lowdens.

I tried some Lowdens in  London recently, and equivalent-model Avalons are still extremely similar
  • I'm not just saying this.. I wasn't overly impressed with lowdens. I'm probably an outlier.
    I'm not just saying this.. I wasn't overly impressed with lowdens. I'm probably an outlier.
    they won't suit everyone, but they are very widely  regarded as one of the 5 top-notch boutique acoustic brands, so it's worth anyone trying them out as you've done

It's worth a trip to  http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/ in Brighton to try out many Pro level guitars and most likely discover, like me,  that  many £4k-£6k guitars don't match your ears or style at all, but that some are magical
    You'd have to be the judge about whether you'd feel comfortable burning up their time trying  guitars above your target price range, perhaps as a possible future customer

The same principles would apply trying lots of cheaper brands too, but it's more complicated - since there are more factors varying: which Chinese-made brands are good, which models are priced higher because of the brand name, which ones aren't set up well since the shop is not as bothered with cheaper guitars, which wood compromises are  advisable, etc

I'd say trying a large number of brands that are well-set-up, in a quiet room is the ideal approach
    Frailers in Runcorn has enough  used good acoustics to cover some of the price ranges
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    I'm not just saying this.. I wasn't overly impressed with lowdens. I'm probably an outlier.
    No I'm with you. Massive Richard Thompson fan - love to hear him playing a Lowden - but for some reason they don't work for me....
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    No I'm with you. Massive Richard Thompson fan - love to hear him playing a Lowden - but for some reason they don't work for me....
      conversely not a fan (it's that voice) great guitarist and songwriter, can I ask why they "don't work for u".
    I've always found them excellent for fingerpicking, the half dozen or so I've played.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    AliGorie said:
    richardhomer said:
      conversely not a fan (it's that voice) great guitarist and songwriter, can I ask why they "don't work for u".
    I've always found them excellent for fingerpicking, the half dozen or so I've played.
    You can - though I'm not sure I can fully articulate it....

I suppose the essence is that they are voiced very differently from American (and by that, I really mean 'Martin') guitars. Their attack seems very soft and their dynamics seem more compressed - not that they are quiet - just a very different tone/dynamic...

It may be that if I spent longer with one that I'd grow to appreciate it - but a few minutes at a time in music shops has never made me think 'I need this'....
  • I'm intentionally not playing ultra expensive acoustics as I know I'd buy one. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Checking in to report that my acoustic-trying-out exercise has faltered due to suddenly being overseas for a while, but my GAS is now erring back toward the 000-ish body size rather than the full armful of dread
    Red ones are better. 
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited November 2016
    I knew f-all about acoustics and after sitting in Tristan Seume's class at IGF, fancied one guitar out of 26 belonging to the bloke I liked the least. Over the week, we chatted about his guitar, I tried it and loved it but he told me the Martin 000M was discontinued. We also became friends, which surprised me.

Took about 6 years to get my finger out of my arse/find a nice 000M on eBay but I did and love it.  The plan is to build up a repertoire of acoustic songs and later in life, let a bigger Martin/Gibson-of-whatever find me.

Good luck with the journey.
    have u consider a deep body'd OM Tim, I got one for the BIG sound they can produce particularly as I use 'low' tuning - down to C 'n B on the bottom strings. More manageable size 'height' wise but dread depth width wise.
    What models/brands am I looking at for that?

I very nearly put in a rash bid for the Fylde Alchemist on eBay earlier...
    Red ones are better. 
    Wow listen to this

https://vimeo.com/153425629

Red ones are better. 
    yeah Tim, good 'open' sounding guitar - @ £2.7k there's a lot of choice getting THAT  kinda sound.
    One UK maker springs to mind - Nigel Forster - makes wonderful guitars in that vein.
    Oh forget the 'DADGAD' bit, it'll play just as well in any tuning

and his gigging model -

thing about guitars in this league (Ensor / Forster etc) ya need them to feel like a musical instrument - i.e. an extension of yourself - not jusy sound great - so ya need to play 'em.
    just saying.

oh - for reference I've put up a tune on the 'music' page here

Nice links thanks. I won't be getting in to this kind of price - just stumbled across it and thought it sounded fantastic 
    Red ones are better. 

£2700 new, £2k used I assume
    here's the video that  got me wanting  a baritone even more - the second player  especially:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    For me the  brands I am most impressed with are Goodall, Lowden and Avalon
    Each have amazing overtones that are intoxicating
    Also  Santa Cruz are also  great, and Bourgeois

Picking up many others in shops I have not found any to match these (for me) from  brands like McIlroy (surprisingly), Martin, Brook, Eggle, Taylor,  Larrivee, Gibson
    this is nice, I have the baritone version of this: