Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is there a way to avoid getting stabbed when changing strings...

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5105
Today, I managed to stab myself in the hand twice while changing strings on an electric guitar.  The string ends when cut off are the culprits.  Can anyone tell me how much 'beyond' the machine head to cut the string so that when fitted it has the correct number of winds on the post.  All help appreciated.  Thanks.

My eyes are not as good as they used to be either, it is hard to see the little hole in the string post.......

The joys of aging!
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited December 2016
    Generally between two and three times the length between posts gives enough winds. Less on the thicker wound  than plain strings. Unless of course you tie the strings on.

I personally don't cut the excess off until they are wound on though.  Less chance of stabbing yourself, but more chance of poking it in your eye so makes you a bit more careful!

I have locking tuners on all of mine as it is just so much less hassle to change strings. Pull the string through the hole, lock it, put a little tension on the string and cut the string about five to ten mm from the post. Nice.
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 374

oven mits :)

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14211
    edited December 2016
    Are you stringing through hole Gibson type or Fender vintage slotted tuners?

If through hole, I cut the strings after stringing, for Fender vintage where you poke the end of the string down the hole in the tuner post then I cut 2 tuners length beyond the existing post, so cut the string at the D tuner for the low E string.

I aim for 2 full wraps of the post, sometimes more on the higher strings

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    Rocker said:

My eyes are not as good as they used to be either, it is hard to see the little hole in the string post.......

The joys of aging!
    I'm right with you -  If the posts weren't so shiny I'd be OK, but especially under artificial lighting with all the reflections it can be really hard to see the hole!  I need new glasses anyway, so hopefully these will help!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Boxing gloves.

Excellent protection, and I leave them on. To be honest I think they actually improve my ham fisted playing
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Get the roadie to do it.

I only snip the ends off once I've strung up. Haven't sustained any string related injuries for years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Sassafras said:
    Get the roadie to do it.

I only snip the ends off once I've strung up. Haven't sustained any string related injuries for years.
    This
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    Yes, just don't be a muppet
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Don't cut the string before fitting unless it's a Fender-type slotted/centre-hole post.

Pull the string tight from the tailpiece to the machinehead, go 1/4" past and bend the string sharply. Poke the loose end through the hole from the middle of the headstock towards the outside until the bend reaches the post, take the loose end round the top side of the post and pull it up under the main part of the string, then wind on while stretching the string as you go. That should bring it up to pitch and tightly locked within one full turn of the post. Then cut off the loose end as close to the post as you can.

It should look like this when done…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Don't cut the string before fitting unless it's a Fender-type slotted/centre-hole post.

Pull the string tight from the tailpiece to the machinehead, go 1/4" past and bend the string sharply. Poke the loose end through the hole from the middle of the headstock towards the outside until the bend reaches the post, take the loose end round the top side of the post and pull it up under the main part of the string, then wind on while stretching the string as you go. That should bring it up to pitch and tightly locked within one full turn of the post. Then cut off the loose end as close to the post as you can.

It should look like this when done…

All of this and nothing else! Best method by far.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    Move to a nicer neighbourhood? 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5222
    edited December 2016
    Don't do it it in the vicinity of a woman who has PMT.  :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowen said:
    Move to a nicer neighbourhood? 
    Or stick to changing strings on your own guitar....
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2830
    Set aside the whole afternoon - take the day off - take it real slow.  Only drink after the final tuning.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    You need to put on full hazmat gear every time you change strings.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11670
    Surely this is on the list of tasks to be undertaken by one's butler.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    After changing strings, I place the old ones into the pockets of those I dislike, coiled up like steely pythons ready to poke their hands on a cold winters day. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I avoid getting stabbed while doing a whole host of activities by not doing them in Hackney or Lozells. Hope that helps
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • The wife does all mine. I instruct her from the shed via mobile phone. 

'you're doing great....now cut the wire'
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Thanks @ICBM, is there a similar way to string up Fender guitars (with slotted machines)?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum