Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Boutique PAF for the Gibson Historic Tone

What's Hot

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    p90fool said:
    There is no correct answer because it's a moving target, not all PAFs sound the same.  

You can probably find at least as wide a variation between real PAFs as between new replicas. 

If you're really trying to hit a specific sound I'd recommend buying any properly made PAF clone then experiment with magnets to fine tune it. 

You may even find exactly what you want by changing magnets in your existing pickups, it only costs a few quid and the SD forum is a mine of useful info. 
    Even if you're not chasing tonal nirvana this is a fun exercise to see how different magnets affect things.  I did it with a set of pickups I had which after trying 2, 3, 4 and 5 have a pair of alnico 4s in them.  It was easy, fun, I'm now happy with the sound and seriously cheap. Cermag have a pretty good range

http://www.cermagmagnets.co.uk/guitar-pickup-magnets-11-c.asp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15381
    tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:

The truth is, no one may ever be capable of reproducing the exact tone, dynamic and vocal character, clarity, bloom and rich harmonics found in a great set of PAFs, which were, after all, essentially happy accidents created by the convergence of extremely varied and largely undocumented materials and components, assembled by relatively unskilled factory workers laboring with flexible specifications and imprecise equipment
    Or they're easily repeatable by a lot of companies these days.  I really don't think there's any secrets left for the mighty pAf to tell.
    I found a tongue in cheek humour about this quote  in some ways - then when you hear/try so many 'paf' replicas from so many builders you realise how different many sound - maybe subtle in some cases but nevertheless different - So 'THE BEST EVER PAF REPLICA' is really a marketing tag and only to be used as a reference - Many PAF replica builders produce 3 or 4 variations on a same theme but again with subtle yet effective different voices
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Adam_MD said:

Or they're easily repeatable by a lot of companies these days.  I really don't think there's any secrets left for the mighty pAf to tell.
    I found a tongue in cheek humour about this quote  in some ways - then when you hear/try so many 'paf' replicas from so many builders you realise how different many sound - maybe subtle in some cases but nevertheless different - So 'THE BEST EVER PAF REPLICA' is really a marketing tag and only to be used as a reference - Many PAF replica builders produce 3 or 4 variations on a same theme but again with subtle yet effective different voices
    I fully agree with all of that and am quite willing to admit they all sound subtlety different I just don't think there's anything new to learn.  Most successful builders have dissected pafs and some have had magnets, metals and wire all analysed for composition etc.  Luckily most of that knowledge is available on line these days for those of us who like to geek out on it.

The doug and pat videos on them there pAfs illustrate the differences quite well they've had loads of different pafs and clones on with most of the clones in the same guitar so you can hear the differences.  

These days after going through way too many pAf clones to admit to my wife how much I've spent I'm firmly in the camp that I know which 'specs' or flavour will put me in the right ballpark for what I like and could order that from any of the names mentioned in posts above and be quite happy.  I also think some brands seriously take the piss with the amount they charge but if people are happy to pay it then good luck to them I'm probably going to stick with Marc from Mojo for the foreseeable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4105
    @Adam_MD Your PAF journey sounds like my strat journey. I completely agree with your 'recipe' theory above. I know that if I go with alnico 5, formvar wire, around 5.8-6.0k, I'll be happy. Problem is, I now need to know my PAF recipe too!
  • swlabrswlabr Frets: 29
    +1 on the marketing tag over which is the best PAF replica.

Some years ago  I started looking for good PAF replacements for my Les Paul. All the pickups I tried were excellent in what they were. Instead of trying to find the best  I focused in in trying to find  the ones that suited best. 

A very expensive journey, to be honest, but I've spent more on the long run trying to find the holy grail of overdrives and the best pickup for your guitar is more important IMHO. In fact I ran out of money to try throbaks and Lollar Imperials.

My favourites:
    Florance voodoos (A3 in neck and A5 on bridge)- fantastic bridge pickup, nice neck sound. Brilliant combination.
    Lindy Fralin PAF. A4 pickups, don't confuse with  the A2 Pure PAFs. Best neck pickup on my guitar. Really clear sounding. Missed more growl on the bridge.
    Duncan Antiquities. A2 pickups. Great but not  the best neck pickup.
    Wolfetone Legends. Best A2 pickups of all I tried. Still not convinced with  the neck position.
    BKP The Mule. Second best neck pickup. Great bridge but not  the best. Kept these in the end.

Might try  the Imperials soon as I've heard it's an A2-A4 combo. I'm really convinced A4s best suit my Les Paul but doesn't have to be your case.
  • BKP Mules come closest out of those I've heard personally.  Some good stuff on the Doug & Pat Show.  I think the wood has far more bearing on the original 'burst' tone than many people realise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 775
    edited December 2016
    One to remember is the original PAFs weren't all created equal and with dead set identical specs. 

Not that I'm anything special so feel free to ignore but my advice would be get in mind the kind of tones you hope for and discuss with the winder direct. Choice of guitar, amp and what you're doing (gigging/ recording etc) good pieces of info to give to them too. Loads of talent to choose from either UK or further afield.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• slackerslacker Frets: 2319
    A few years ago I decided to replace the high gain ceramics in my LP CLassic with a PAF type humbucker. I agonised over many videos of sound files from Amber, Kloppmann, Holmes, them SD silver things and eventually decided to go for Bare Knuckle Mules as I could get them easily in the UK. So I rang Coda-none in stock. I rang Charlie Chandler-none in stock. 

So Charlie said I've got some Lollars and they are what I recommend (probably cos he has them in stock-I'm such a cynic) however I trusted his judgement, had them fitted and they sound really good. 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    I actually really like the Custom Buckers.. Sad, I know, but there you go!
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    the clip of Tim Pierce on Monty's website is very easy on the ear - great player though which helps!
  • jesonejesone Frets: 65
    My PAF tone search ended with Wizz pickups.
  • Been using Monty's PAF's for a couple of months and am over the moon with them. Really my kind of classic rock, coupled with a 1959HW into a 4x12 with T1511's
    Been using Monty's PAF's for a couple of months and am over the moon with them. Really my kind of classic rock, coupled with a 1959HW into a 4x12 with T1511's
    You are indeed a Koss fan with those T1511's. Nice one :)

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• shugz said:
    Been using Monty's PAF's for a couple of months and am over the moon with them. Really my kind of classic rock, coupled with a 1959HW into a 4x12 with T1511's

Cheers 
    Hugh
    Thanks, the cab is an original late '73. Sounds gorgeous!
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    A few years back there was a blinded PAF shootout on mlp with a load of the then big names in PAF boutique replicas.  I've just found the link but not sure if the Sound clips are even still in the thread.  It was an interesting comparison at the time and good to hear the winders interpretations of what an original PAF tone is.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189426

I went through a few different sets when I changed the burstbuckers out of my 2005 Faded. I ended up settling on the aged zebra Shed PAF Daddys after going back and forth with Spence at the time about what I was after.  Back then most people were using cream Butyrate bobbins and couldn't source the bone white versions I was after.  Spence managed to reradius some that he sourced from old stock for me which swung it even more in his favour.   They looked the part with realistic aging and the tone got me as close as I think I'd ever get to what's in my head when I imagine a real burst.  The realisation that I'll never know what an actual 59 would sound like through my own rig led me to just settle for the awesome tone I got and stop sniffing those expensive corks.  I'm glad the options were more limited when I was looking than they are now as I doubt I'd have settled so easily.  It would have cost me a small fortune to get that extra 1% closer to the real deal.

I'll try and search out an interesting write up Mark Foley from Fatboy Guitars did a year or so back about PAFs.  It was a pretty different and open take on things considering he was selling PAF replicas himself at the time, sort of the anti sales pitch.  

shugz said:

Cheers 
    Hugh
    Thanks, the cab is an original late '73. Sounds gorgeous!
    Great speakers, had a 60s cab with them in. As you know, the great man himself loved those more than the 1221's etc. Huge Koss fan here :) 

Sorry to the OP for slight thread derail.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• Anyone any experience with Lollar Imperials?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15381
    tFB Trader
    Anyone any experience with Lollar Imperials?
    I have not installed them on any guitar but have sold a few with them fitted inc Collings and a current PRS DGT - very clear and open voice - smooth and full but far more crisp then your Burst Buckers - less fat moody mids - Hope that helps
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2319
    Yes, you anywhere near Bedfordshire?
  • slacker said:
    Yes, you anywhere near Bedfordshire?
    In Belfast, NI mate. Appreciate the thought man.