Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

JJ Retro - any good?

What's Hot
welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
Seen a JJ Retro (2003 in good condition) for £450

Worth a pop at that price?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had a JJ retro years ago, a gold one. Personally, I didn't take to it, it was bland and I found the shape irritating after a while. I don't recall much and didn't keep it for long but from distant memory it felt like a PRS SE

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I think @monofin or maybe @ttony had one (maybe both)

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    hard to fault it at £450 - £400 would be better - UK Built - solid woods - decent bridge and tuners - I'd personally change the p/ups to take away some of the 'bland character' that @RandallFlagg  mentioned - I'd prefer it to many far eastern copies, with a far more popular brand name
  • They are 'ok' - but probably no better that a PRS SE.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Love mine.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Odd guitars as I'd kinda echo the 'bland' comments, strange as you'd hope something undeniably well-built and with decent components would have a bit more 'wow' factor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    They are 'ok' - but probably no better that a PRS SE.
    Odd guitars as I'd kinda echo the 'bland' comments, strange as you'd hope something undeniably well-built and with decent components would have a bit more 'wow' factor.
    Yep - just missing something - build quality and ingredients ok other than mediocre p/ups - upgrade those and you'll probably end up with something better than some budget Gibson's - like a 'poor man's' LP Special (hate that phrase but you know what I mean)
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    Cheers all, I'll probably pass on it then - haven't even seen it yet.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    I remember when they were plastered all over the guitar mags ages ago. Heard good things about the p90 ones. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    They seemed pretty highly regarded when they first came out, but I have to admit that I haven't tried one.
  • I had one about 10 years ago. Neck p90 sounded lovely but found the fingerboard radius a little bit flat...I think they were supposed to be 12 inch, but it felt much flatter. The other thing was, the neck didn't seem very stable...I've always had a terrible habit of leaning on the upper bout of the body with my forearm when I pick, so when my left hand frets, it almost twists the guitar..with the JJ, I was out of tune all the time. All the fault of my dodgy technique, but it suggested to me the whole guitar wasn't as rigid as most bolt ons I've owned.  
  • Cardiff Guitars have one in stock, previously reduced to £350 in their sale.....and it still hasn't sold - though they've bumped the price back up now. Nice guitars but knowing your guitar history from years of posts and for sale ads on here, it won't compete.
    Cardiff Guitars have one in stock, previously reduced to £350 in their sale.....and it still hasn't sold - though they've bumped the price back up now. Nice guitars but knowing your guitar history from years of posts and for sale ads on here, it won't compete.
    Haha, thats the one I've seen....hmm, OK might take a spin over dinnertime (its 5 minutes from my work) and might take a gamble if I can get it for £300...

and I'll take a look at the JD Tele as well....
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I had the LP Junior type thing with a P90 (neck) and a Humbucker (bridge).

It was OK - I wanted to like it more than I did. It didn't stick around for long.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• welshboyo said:
    Cardiff Guitars have one in stock, previously reduced to £350 in their sale.....and it still hasn't sold - though they've bumped the price back up now. Nice guitars but knowing your guitar history from years of posts and for sale ads on here, it won't compete.
    Haha, thats the one I've seen....hmm, OK might take a spin over dinnertime (its 5 minutes from my work) and might take a gamble if I can get it for £300...

Haven't Cardiff Guitars closed down? 
    welshboyo said:

Haven't Cardiff Guitars closed down? 
    Wouldn't be surprised, Simon looked really rough last time I was in there..

I'll find out dinnertime
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    I had one. The body shape means it slips off your leg when playing seated, the headstock shape means you can't use a string winder on the d and g tuners. Apart from that, it was okay if not very inspiring.
  • They were the second coming in the guitar mag reviews at the time they first launched. I was tempted at the time but from the above I'm glad I didn't :)
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    I think the bloke was trying to relaunch a few years ago.
  • I have one. I'm happy with it & wouldn't want to sell. It has a slightly lighter tone than a LP. I replaced the stock pickups with Bareknuckle Mules & I miss the p90 in the neck - that gave some lovely woody & alive tones. The thing that struck me was how well it sustains; easily on a par with any expensive guitar. The neck is comfortable with good upper fret access but it is a bit neck heavy. I've recommended them on this forum before but if the OP is dubious then I can understand that.