Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Greatest Female Vocalist ever?

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31120
Was discussing this amazing lady with some of my Facebook mates this morning...

Lisa B Fischer. The only woman ever recorded who could hit 6 octaves. Utterly bloody amazing.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31919
    I can't listen to this at the moment, (at work) but does she sound as good as Karen Carpenter? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2017
    Saw her perform "Gimme Shelter" with the Stones on the Voodoo Lounge tour, just fantastic. 

Recetly been watching the "Totally Stripped" DVDs from that same year. 

If you've not seen it check out the docu "20 feet from stardom" a large part of that focuses on her. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    I'll go for Lisa Gerrard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited February 2017
    Yup. Totally agree. 
    I watched "20 Feet from Stardom" too- she blew me away. 
    *Warning, this video contains Sting- I apologise*

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    There's loads I like from the sixties and seventies folk and psy-folk bands. Current fave is Meg Baird of Espers and Heron Oblivion. And Trish Keenan of Broadcast was bloody good too.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31120
    Call be obvious, but before her coke issues- Tracy Chapman.

• p90fool said:
    I can't listen to this at the moment, (at work) but does she sound as good as Karen Carpenter? 
    Lovely easiness to her voice that transcends the sickly arrangements.

I'll put in a bid for Pauline Black at her peak. Slightly crazy lady , often angry. One of the things that made her angry , back in the day, was being told how great Kate Bush was. So some of The Selecter songs have these high bits where Pauline was showing she had more range than Kate. 

My inroad into jazz is pretty much female singers. Cassandra Wilson did some blues songs with a fantastic rich voice. Anita ODay made singing over a big band sound so easy.

I like singers who can carry a melody, and although I'm fairly happy with those who can't at all, I hate the X Factor speak the words, do a big note at the end of the chorus type singing. I'll take Doris Day instead.

Oddly enough I was watching a Lady Gaga thing on YouTube this morning. She can sing but it's such an ordinary voice. 

Anyway, I'll watch the clip in the OP later  :3

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Aretha Franklin.

Thread over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31120
    @EricTheWeary Re Gaga, we forget she does everything- writes, plays, arranges...

• Elizabeth Fraser.
    Jesus, she could sing the telephone directory (and may well have done, for all I know) and still reduce me to a gibbering wreck.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2819
    Sandy Denny
    Karen Carpenter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited February 2017

Karen Carpenter

Ella Fitzgerald

Although admittedly, neither of them do that "I can't reach the actual note so I'll just sing some other notes instead " thing so beloved of many singers today.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Barry Gibb from the Bee Gees.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    @EricTheWeary Re Gaga, we forget she does everything- writes, plays, arranges...
    I don't disagree but she is a sub standard singer compared to the Franklins, Carpenters,etc, and it just seems a pity that the current aspirational standard is so low; the idea that being able to go wayhayhayayeah at the end of a song is all it takes to be a great singer. 

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    Sandy Denny
    Kate Bush
  • In terms of the Carpenters Im not sure you can tell. When I was doing some singing lessons my teacher had me working on california dreaming and theres so much harmonic distortion in the vocal parts that I find it tricky to pick out what voices are doing which notes in some places. I suspect that if you copmared like for like in a modern production the difference might not be as big as you think it is.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    In terms of the Carpenters Im not sure you can tell. When I was doing some singing lessons my teacher had me working on california dreaming and theres so much harmonic distortion in the vocal parts that I find it tricky to pick out what voices are doing which notes in some places. I suspect that if you copmared like for like in a modern production the difference might not be as big as you think it is.

I fink dat's de mamas & papas, no?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • In terms of the Carpenters Im not sure you can tell. When I was doing some singing lessons my teacher had me working on california dreaming and theres so much harmonic distortion in the vocal parts that I find it tricky to pick out what voices are doing which notes in some places. I suspect that if you copmared like for like in a modern production the difference might not be as big as you think it is.
    Was there a version by The Carpenters? The best known version was by The Mamas and the Papas. 
  • Sorry your right, im being a fool
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5129
    Gassage said:
    Was discussing this amazing lady with some of my Facebook mates this morning...

Lisa B Fischer. The only woman ever recorded who could hit 6 octaves. Utterly bloody amazing.

There are a couple of other female singers with 6 octave ranges.