Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can you read music?

What's Hot
jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3074
Whilst I can stutteringly work out pitches and time values on the stave, I am a long,long way from being a fluent reader. Wondering whether it's worth the investment in getting competent. Can you read music? Do you see it as important in developing as a guitarist?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    Yes and yes.
  • Yes and depends.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited February 2017
    I could when I played the recorder at school.

Nowadays I know what a crotchet, a quaver, a rest and a treble clef are. I know vaguely the pitch of the notes. Apart from that...not a ruddy clue.

I've never needed it for guitar though - but that's just me and the style I play.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Very slowly today - far better years ago when had to do it in various 'dance bands' - but today is barely adequate from a sight reading point of view, but good enough to plough trough at own pace until more accomplished with that particular piece

Not sure it is a necessity as such but surely depends on what you are trying to achieve - Playing 3 chord pop songs in a pub and you'll probably never need it - Playing pro in a pit orchestra for theater work etc then almost certainly required - Not a bad asset to have as and when required - The more serious you are as a player, and the more you can't read, then the more you need to rely on your ear - Nothing wrong with that and maybe not a pure answer to this

Guitar world is full of great players who can't or could not read - but some will tell you to learn to read so it is an asset available as and when required, but also develop your ear - Like many things in life, develop yourself as best as you can
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Barely and yes (for playing with anyone other than guitarists)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Yes and yes. Tab is an imperfect tool. Dots are better in most ways (but not all) - but the biggest benefit to me is the way musicians playing all types of instruments can communicate using dots in a way that tab never can. Try writing out a saxophone part using tab. (Actually, it isn't that easy using dots, is it?)

My sight reading ability isn't what it was when I was a 14 year old classical guitarist, mind...  
  • I certainly can't sight read - so I can't really claim to be able to read music, if I'm being honest.

Most players who can't will claim that their self-determined learning has enabled them to become better players and have highly developed ears. I doubt that's really true - they are just trying to excuse their laziness of having not put the 'hard yards' in at an early stage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I can work out standard notation... But I'm far from fluent or a sight reader. 
    I've been playing lots of mandolin recently so I'm figuring out fiddle tunes, obviously there's usually no tab so I have to struggle through. I'm improving though. 

I think tab is a really useful tool & makes guitar accessible for newcomers. (whether this reliance becomes a hindrance as you progress is open to debate). 

I'm sure I read somewhere that tab started in the 1300s for lute/lyre players so it's an established part of musical history.  
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464

I'm sure I read somewhere that tab started in the 1300s for lute/lyre players so it's an established part of musical history.  
    True. There were all sorts of notations - standard notation as we know it is relatively recent (but still a few hundred years old)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader

Learnt to read whilst laid up last year, can read notes a bit slowly. Not good with timing. Not fussed about that though, more interesting in seeing other people's ideas in context, i.e. notes, over chords, or chords over chords, subs etc.
    Development - depends on context really as G4U says. For me not essential, I learnt plenty of theory without being able to read, which was the essential framework for me. But there is a whole ton of learning and seeing other's viewpoints to be had by reading so I'd say it's at least worthwhile having the ability to read to some extent.

• RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Can I read music? Like @Dopesick I learned at school, starting with recorder at age of eight. Nowadays I'm not particularly fast at reading. That's partly "use it or lose it" but more to do with ageing eyes.

Do I use it? Yes. I score arrangements for our keyboard/sax player who can read music, but can't transcribe.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • jamesjames Frets: 54
    Yes, somewhat, and yes. 

I play classical guitar and clarinet so reading music is required there. I also play in a big band, where I get away with playing in a more 'band' way I suppose, but everyone else is reading from notation, especially when new music is introduced.

If the flip side to music is tab, and you learn from tab, I'd still say learning to read music to some level allows you to pretty much play music without hearing it, getting the positions from the tab and the rhythm from the notation.

These days, I'd rather notation, even if I have to work out the chords/notes, as tab seems very lacking in comparison. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flute is my first instrument so I'm "fluent" in treble clef. 

I've never bothered reading music whilst playing guitar though. Whether or not you need to depends on what sort of guitarist you want to be. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Never really looked into Tab but first impressions are that I find notation easier especially for a piece of music you've never heard. It's also quite a valuable tool for song writing.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    A bit, and yes.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Not any more and possibly... It would be nice to have the skill again to transcribe tunes I have created.  That said I record what I play so have a reference when my overcrowded brain gets fuzzy.  Also would be good it I was in a covers band/ ensemble etc
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Heh, noticed a few of you played recorder at school... I too partook of said instrument :D I wonder how common this is... 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    I'm learning by proxy. My daughter has started playing piano so to help her I'm going to the lessons and scanning the learning material to keep up. I do think she will overtake me soon though...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Nope, no interest in it at all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, not totally fluent but functional.  And  yes, it helped me with communicating with other musicians and it broadened my composing skills.  Highly recommended.   

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay