Should we have a separate Acoustic board

What's Hot

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2951
    ICBM said:

I would too, I actually think it should be for all acoustic instruments, since things like mandolins, ukeleles, banjos etc are more closely related to acoustic guitars - both in terms of the type of music, players etc and the tech that goes with them. I'm not sure it would really increase the traffic much but it might help to broaden the forum a little from being a purely guitar/bass one.
    This would interest me. I've been playing a lot of mandolin recently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    ICBM said:
    I would too, I actually think it should be for all acoustic instruments, since things like mandolins, ukeleles, banjos etc are more closely related to acoustic guitars - both in terms of the type of music, players etc and the tech that goes with them. I'm not sure it would really increase the traffic much but it might help to broaden the forum a little from being a purely guitar/bass one.
    bit like saying bass and electric guitar should be all one forum 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15785
    ICBM said:

bertie said:
    I would 'like' a separate one, of only due to the number of "electric" based posts, anything about acoustic soon gets relegated to lower pages if not added to in a few hours. Im got a great fan of trawling through pages and pages just to find a couple of relevant threads that might interest me.

Be nice to have a separate one.
    you may be onto something there, may encourage non guitar players to come here. There are some specific sites for mando, banjos and so on, but they tend to be US centric (and hanging around on US centric forums can be a trying experience, they're not really aware of the rest of the world). I have noticed a bit of an increase in the interest for playing instruments here in the UK and Ireland (I was eyeing up bazoukis the other day).

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72977
    edited August 2013
    bertie said:
    ICBM said:
    bit like saying bass and electric guitar should be all one forum 
    No, they have a different musical purpose and type of amplification, even if (sometimes) the same people play them... and you'll never get 'proper' bassists to admit that anyway ;).

Good to see we can still disagree about something anyway >:).

VimFuego said:
    (I was eyeing up bazoukis the other day).
    Careful, you can get arrested for that if you do it too overtly.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
     I don't care, I'm out and proud.

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    VimFuego said:
     (I was eyeing up bazoukis the other day).
    Were they bouzoukis that shoot rockets? :)
    bah, curses. And I'd have got away with it if it weren't for you pesky kids.

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

I'd say there was more traffic on the old MR site in the acoustic section than on the Bass and Bass got its own section here .... tumbleweed is already starting to roll through there. 

Though tbh, "Bass Chat" probably caters better for us "thick" stringers, certainly in the classifieds.

what about acoustic basses? where do they get discussed? Won't somebody think of the fat boys?!?

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27881
    We can have one if there is demand, but I don't think there was enough traffic to justify it on MR and I hate dead boards. 

@monquixote

What do you reckon MQ ... seems like a fair bit of discussion here.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72977
    VimFuego said:
    what about acoustic basses? where do they get discussed? Won't somebody think of the fat boys?!?
    Now you're just being difficult :).

Serious answer - in the acoustic instruments section, because the options/problems/solutions/usage scenarios are much more like acoustic guitars than like electric basses. I doubt anyone runs an acoustic bass through an SVT, it's much more likely to be the PA.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17864
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    TTony said:

@monquixote

What do you reckon MQ ... seems like a fair bit of discussion here.

I'm easy like Sunday morning. 

I don't really play Acoustic so I didn't spend much time on the acoustic pages on MR. 
    Seems like a few people think it's a good idea so we should probably do it.

Do you want to do the honours Tony?
  • It would be good as there will be a couple of acoustic builders on here anyway!

I am supposedly a qualified acoustic instrument maker of sorts..................................................

and Octatonic is on the way, I'm sure there are some others floating about too.
    Old Is Gold
  • I play acoustic much more than electric and tried to frequent the old MR acoustic section.

Nothing happened much there.

I reckon if we just put acoustic and electric stuff in this section then the people who don't play much of the other will be more inclined to stumble upon something they wouldn't otherwise have discovered.
  • There should definitely be a Lute sub section
    Old Is Gold
    I certainly feel that a fretted instruments that aren't guitars could well bring in more members.

• That is actually a good point, could we have a section called Other Stringed Instruments?

then people can talk about violins and banjos etc etc
    Old Is Gold
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27881
    Do you want to do the honours Tony
    Will do.

Y'all take good care of your new acoustic section now ... (tomorrow)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    who's gonna be 1st to give it a ding?

• See who gets there first, Ill definetly post something about old guitars anyway.
    Old Is Gold