Strat sounding Tele neck pickup.

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 897
edited February 2017 in Guitar
Right, I know I'll get the obligatory "just buy a cheap Strat" reply. But, I have spent a shed load of time looking at this on the forums and some pickups seem to come close, but they are all US builders. Mare, Klein, etc, and never come up for sale here. Has anyone got direct experience with getting a decent neck strat sound out of their tele. If so, which pickups have been a success.

At the moment I have a nocaster neck and a low output bare knuckle bridge.

I'm trying to get near the tone in the clip below (I have the same amp). The guy is using a John Mayer Strat, I believe the Mayer pickups are low output mid scooped.

Just to add, I haven't been playing that long, so please excuse my naivety if it's a total none starter with a tele.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    Fender Twisted Tele pickup is strat style I think
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    mrkb said:
    Fender Twisted Tele pickup is strat style I think
    correct - not sure you can actually buy the neck pick up on its own, so might be best to find a good used version  - a touch more crisp than a regular Tele and a hint of that 'scooped' character - might be worth chatting to Ash at Oil City to see if he does anything similar
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    pm sent i have one sitting idle
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    What are the nocaster pu's like?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 888
    Nocaster pickups are the best Tele pickups IMO. They don't sound strat like though.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Ash @ Oil City's LIqudator. I have one in my 1965 tele and it's the best tele neck I've yet come across. I love his stuff.

http://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/televintagehot.html

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

no doubt  against the grain on here but i have to say i havent heard a pickup made in this country that is as good as some of the stuff stateside

Fred Stuarts tele pickups are fantastic, i have his "strat for tele" neck pickup and it is in a different league from any of the offerings over here, which, in comparison sound like they have a blanket over them.

sure many will disagree but its only my opinion, but i would say if you are driven to find the very best tone i would look USA way, the chances of me selling either set of Fred Stuart Tele sets are nil
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
    edited February 2017
    Buy a tele pickguard with a strat sized hole, I have a couple not being used if interested.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • robgilmo said:
    What are the nocaster pu's like?
    That are great pickups, just want a bit of a change with a more chimey top end in the neck pu.

• Buy a tele pickguard with a strat sized hole, I have a couple not being used if interested.
    What colours are they?

• mgaw said:
    no doubt  against the grain on here but i have to say i havent heard a pickup made in this country that is as good as some of the stuff stateside

Fred Stuarts tele pickups are fantastic, i have his "strat for tele" neck pickup and it is in a different league from any of the offerings over here, which, in comparison sound like they have a blanket over them.

sure many will disagree but its only my opinion, but i would say if you are driven to find the very best tone i would look USA way, the chances of me selling either set of Fred Stuart Tele sets are nil
    The blanket is what I massively want to avoid. The Nocaster neck is a really nice, quality pickup, so there has to be a marked difference in the tone if I'm spending to change it.
  • mgaw said:

With the Stuarts which option did you go with Alnico 3 or 5?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Zoolooter said:

mgaw said:

The blanket is what I massively want to avoid. The Nocaster neck is a really nice, quality pickup, so there has to be a marked difference in the tone if I'm spending to change it.
    good word blanket - as comparing a Nocaster neck pick-up to the Twisted Tele is a bit like removing the blanket from your existing pick-up - The Twisted Tele has more clarity and snap - some will say remove the cover on your existing pick-up - The difference is probably more subtle than awesome, but nevertheless audible - Sell a few Custom Shop models with such a neck pick-up and generally a popular option
  • The Twisted definitely sounds like a good option as well as keeping the traditional look of a tele neck pu.
    Zoolooter said:
    mgaw said:

With the Stuarts which option did you go with Alnico 3 or 5?
    i will check tomorrow and let you know
  • i have an Oil City Californian that does a very nice job of a stratty neck pickup tone

• normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    Mojo's Open-T is brilliant. Mine has a full cover to keep the Tele look but still sounds great
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    mgaw said:

I'd buy Mojo over Lollar or Fralin, having had a good number of each. Don't know this Fred of whom you speak though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    i have an Oil City Californian that does a very nice job of a stratty neck pickup tone
    This. It's an outstanding pickup.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    i have an Oil City Californian that does a very nice job of a stratty neck pickup tone
    Very much this. It isn't voodoo, just wire, magnets, skill and passion. Our manufacturers in the U.K. can definitely do it as well, if not better in this instance, than anyone else.