Ideal first guitar for a 9 year old

What's Hot
skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 225
Hi there,
My daughter has been learning on a Stagg Economy 1/2 scale and wanted an electric. For a while I thought that my old (MusicYo) Kramer Baretta might do the trick but the body is still a bit much for her. Then I started thinking about an Epi SG or similar and wondered if anyone had experience with electrics for kids. She's very tall for her age and hands are a decent size so it's a waste to go for a 3/4 scale, but the short 24.75 scale will help her learn to shred. Thoughts? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3074
    I just bought my 8 yo a JHS Beano electric. (Google it). Looks cool but plays awful. However she insisted it had to be that one. I'd personally go for a Squier strat. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 1012
    Hello Kitty guitar?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    I was asked to find a first electric for my 10 yr old niece, we ended up going for the Epi SG Jr, lightweight thin body, skinny neck, simple.
    I did do a pot swap and a bit of a setup and it's great and a featherweight compared to the Squier Strats & Teles we looked at ! 
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 225
    Hello Kitty guitar?
    Why is there always a damned Hello Kitty guitar comment. She hates hello Kitty. Now if there was a Lego Star Wars guitar... that would be different.  ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    My lad started age 9 on an Encore single pickup mdf thing, it was pretty awful really but it was full size and he coped OK, kids grow so quickly its pointless buying anything other than full size.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

My thoughts.... Plus I always fancied an SG (shhhhh.... Don't let my wife know)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    Aren't Hello Kitty Strats now out of production and thus collector's items and priced as such? 

I'd establish a budget first anyway... Yamaha, PRS SE and the usual suspects would all be on the list depending on how much I wanted to spend... used might be smart, as long as you can do a setup (or pay for one). 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I'd probably say the new Squier Mustang fits the bill - 24" scale and a slightly more compact body

Getting great reviews from lots of places
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Moss said:
    I'd probably say the new Squier Mustang fits the bill - 24" scale and a slightly more compact body

Getting great reviews from lots of places
    Ahhhhhh......now there's a thought. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    Squire strat, my son had one as his first guitar, he was 11 and loved it
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    Good call on the Squier Mustang....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    Dean baby Z :-)
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    My 9yo  has my Vintage VS6 SG copy. I've also given him my Blackstar ID Core 20 amp. 

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    My daughter has a little Encore 3/4 strat, the nut is wider than the nut on my Tele.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    In my opinion there are no decent 3/4 size electrics - many are adequate at best in particular regarding tuning/intonation - Take her into a music shop with you and see if a full size Squier or Yamaha is to big for her or not and if she is comfortable holding it - Don't want her to struggle at this early stage, so comfort and ease of playing performance is critical - Your local dealer might have something else they can suggest - Please don't buy mail order as I think it is essential she tries a few in her local store - She will instantly know what feels comfortable and easy to handle - At this stage it is the most important factor - good luck - + at this stage light guitar as well as a 9 year old girl does not want a Les Paul style hanging round a neck
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    skinfreak said:
    Hello Kitty guitar?
    Why is there always a damned Hello Kitty guitar comment. She hates hello Kitty. Now if there was a Lego Star Wars guitar... that would be different.  ;-)
    And a Hot Wheels strat
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1917
    Peavey did many a Marvel branded guitar a few years ago. I've no idea if they were any good though. My 11yo daughter is also veering towards the guitar bug and I'm definitely considering the squier bullet mustang for her.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    PRS Private Stock

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    Loobs said:
    PRS Private Stock

It's true, no point f***ing about ! 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    Yeah, did you think I was joking?