Octatonic's guitar buildery thread

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Commercial Road? Really? My old stomping ground from ages ago!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    No new photos today, but I spent the day working on trimming the braces to fit into the  the kerfed lining notches for the top, which I also started.
    Should have the top glued up by mid next week I reckon.

We're into some slow going stuff now- it needs to be very accurate and I am going to be taking my time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    No new photos today, but I spent the day working on trimming the braces to fit into the  the kerfed lining notches for the top, which I also started.
    Should have the top glued up by mid next week I reckon.

We're into some slow going stuff now- it needs to be very accurate and I am going to be taking my time.
    Dust and glue solves all.  :P
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Fantastic stuff. I really dig the labeling idea too.
  • Awesome. How are you going to be finishing it?

I'm thinking weeks ahead I think ;)
    Awesome. How are you going to be finishing it?

I'm thinking weeks ahead I think ;)
    Probably an oil finish.
    I'd like to do a full French polish but don't think I will have time.
  • Cool. I've been looking into French Polish to sort out a sweet gloss on my widtoned guitars, but it's so much hard work.

I might see if I can properly level the finish using fine and super fine wire wools, then buff with a polishing compound then applying one last coat or two of wudtone to get it something better. You can see the rub marks in mine where a coat has gone on a bit too thick or I've sanded a bit wrong etc. Not visible from more than a foot or two away, but I'd like to sort it.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

octatonic said:

This is the one I'm thinking of using:

imageimage

Allow me to translate:

The headscarf says: not touched by Kim Jong Il's uncle.

The banner says: wow, such pulling.

The white text says: Propitious North Korean People's Guitar Factory is fearless unlike craven Samick factory with it's Unions and Health and Safety.

The Black text says:

Najeneun ddasarowun in-ganjeogin yeoja
    Keopi hanjaneui yeoyureul aneun pumgyeok ittneun yeoja
    Bami omyeon shimjangi ddeugeowojineun yeoja
    Geureon banjeon ittneun yeoja

Naneun sanai
    Najeneun neomankeum ddasarowun geureon sanai
    Keopi shik-gido jeone One Shot ddaerineun sanai
    Bami omyeon shimjangi teojyeobeorineun sanai
    Geureon sanai

Aremdawo sarangseurowo
    Geurae neo hey, geurae baro neo hey
    Areumdawo sarangseurowo
    Geurae neo hey, geurae baro neo hey
    Jigeumbuteo gal ddaekkaji gabolkka

Oppan Gangnam style
    Gangnam style
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Gangnam style
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Last couple of days were spent riding my motorcycle and then a bit more of brace shaping and sorting out the kerfed linings.
    I am hoping to get glued up next week.

No pics- there is nothing majorly different since last week.
  • Ooo are you a new rider?  I'm thinking, if I'm not accepted for medicine this year, I'll take my bike license and get a choppa!

Looking forward to seeing it all pieced together.  :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    Ooo are you a new rider?  I'm thinking, if I'm not accepted for medicine this year, I'll take my bike license and get a choppa!

Looking forward to seeing it all pieced together.  :D
    Oh mate, If you're about to take the leap and get into bikes I'd implore you to not get a chopper, corners are the best bit about motorbikes and choppers singularly fail to capitalise on this.
    Before I got into biking I thought I wanted the classic middle-age crisis bike- a Harley or a chopper.
    Now I can ride (a bit) they are basically the last bike I'd buy.

Naked streetfighters/muscle bikes are more my thing now- they have the look down but actually shift and corner properly.

I'm not saying I will never buy a chopper or a custom cruiser but it wouldn't be my only bike.
    I'd have a cafe racer, like a Moto Guzzi V7 before I bought a Harley.
  • Cheers! I kinda want a suzuki bandit, they're supposed to be pretty good but I've worked with at least 3 young people in the last 18 months who got a bit carried away on them...

Anyway, sorry for derail. Eagerly awaiting more pics!
    A Bandit or a Hornet will be my next bike.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1358
    My garage currently holds a 1976 Triumph T160 Trident, a Ducati Multistrada 1000S[1], a 1979 Moto Guzzi California, and a mid '80s Harris-Yamaha single cylinder racer. There's also a mid '60s ex WD BSA B40 in pieces in my Father-in-Law's shed....

I owned a Harley Sportster for several years, they're actually huge fun to ride, vastly charismatic, and rather more capable than most people think. Wouldn't have missed it for the world and would have another in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose, probably more likely to get another Harley than another modern sports bike (last one was a Triumph Daytona) because I've found Properly Quick stuff just a hugely frustrating liability unless you have regular access to a race track and even there lighter, more agile stuff (like the Harris) is more fun.

This is a roundabout way of saying that like playing guitar motorcycling is a multi faceted experience and that dismissing Harleys and the like out of hand because they're a bit agricultural, don't have much ground clearance, and can't change direction as quickly as a Yamaha R1 or Ducati Panigale is a bit like dismissing a Gretsch White Falcon because you can't shred on it the way you would on an Ibanez. By all means buy a Harley if that's what you fancy. You might not keep it forever and you might end up with something totally different in the long run but it's a pretty much unique experience and going through a motorcycling career without owning one at least for a while would be like never owning that Gibson Les Paul or Fender Telecaster most of us have kind of of wanted at some point...

[1] Quite possibly the best all-rounder ever built. If I was only allowed one bike which I had to keep for the rest of my life this would probably be it...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    JayGee said:
    My garage currently holds a 1976 Triumph T160 Trident, a Ducati Multistrada 1000S[1], a 1979 Moto Guzzi California, and a mid '80s Harris-Yamaha single cylinder racer. There's also a mid '60s ex WD BSA B40 in pieces in my Father-in-Law's shed....

I owned a Harley Sportster for several years, they're actually huge fun to ride, vastly charismatic, and rather more capable than most people think. Wouldn't have missed it for the world and would have another in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose, probably more likely to get another Harley than another modern sports bike (last one was a Triumph Daytona) because I've found Properly Quick stuff just a hugely frustrating liability unless you have regular access to a race track and even there lighter, more agile stuff (like the Harris) is more fun.

This is a roundabout way of saying that like playing guitar motorcycling is a multi faceted experience and that dismissing Harleys and the like out of hand because they're a bit agricultural, don't have much ground clearance, and can't change direction as quickly as a Yamaha R1 or Ducati Panigale is a bit like dismissing a Gretsch White Falcon because you can't shred on it the way you would on an Ibanez. By all means buy a Harley if that's what you fancy. You might not keep it forever and you might end up with something totally different in the long run but it's a pretty much unique experience and going through a motorcycling career without owning one at least for a while would be like never owning that Gibson Les Paul or Fender Telecaster most of us have kind of of wanted at some point...

[1] Quite possibly the best all-rounder ever built. If I was only allowed one bike which I had to keep for the rest of my life this would probably be it...
    Hi mate, 

Yes, I agree with what you are saying in broad terms.
    I like your guitar analogy.
    I could draw a parallel between Gibson and Harley Davidson- in fact IMHO Gibson have been using the Harley playbook in terms of how to rebrand as a lifestyle product, rather than a guitar or motorcycle.
    Henry J has said as much in interviews.

This is, I guess, what I react to with HD and FWIW with Gibson.

I don't have any problem with them per se- but I just don't crave one for myself at this point in my motorcycling career.
    I also don't play Gibson's anymore, actually- partly due to ergonomics and weight issues.

I am sure there are a bunch of fun and interesting HD motorcycles out there.
    I, personally, don't want to buy into that heritage both in financial terms and in cultural terms.

Guitar buildery update:

Today was HUUUUGELY frustrating but I made progress.
    I had a lot of difficulty getting the top on but I think it worked.
    There is a lot to think about- you have to get the linings angled right, the blocks angled right, everything flat and level but also radiused  to fit the soundboard.

It isn't brilliant, but it is OK for a first build, I think.
    I will know more Thursday.

Pics:

edited January 2014
    Update:

Soundboard glued on really well.
    Today I have been trimming the excess, which is a proper mission.
    Spruce is a tricky wood to trim as the end grain is made up of soft and hard bits.
    The white bits are soft, the orange streaks are quite hard.

I had to sharpen my Veritas chisel 3 times today to get it 80% of the way there.
    I still have a lot of work to do though but here are some pics: 
    I also stuck on my label, I am very happy with how it contrasts against the wood.

Happy with where it is at now- starting to look like a proper guitar now.
    1reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 365
    That is a thing of beauty - the figure in the back and sides especially. Congratulations on an amazing job so far. Wowed :)
  • Great work @octatonic. Do you know what you want to build next year yet? Harp guitar? :)