An honest view of the PRS Custom 24

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Voxman said:
    fandango said:
    octatonic said:
    The 5 way rotary is a bit of nightmare in a gigging situation- you can't easily get from bridge humbucker to neck humbucker- 
    But in a studio setting, it must be a real boon, as there's no switch to foul up in the middle of a full flow solo.
    Disagree, I think it just depends on what you get used to. I can find any p/up position in a split second, and no slower than with a 5 way slider as on my Strat. In fact, the rotary is arguably more positive/precise.  I also fit a rubber surround to the rotary switch for a good grip so it doesn't slip live. 
    The advantage of the five-way rotary is you can go from full humbucking to split-coil mixes in one movement, without having to deal with a toggle and a push/pull pot. 

I found quick changes on stage became really intuative. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    The OP's question was about the PRS CU24, it's interesting that we end up morphing into a discussion of opinions on PRS as a brand so easily. Would hardly happen on a Gibson or Fender discussion. Maybe the distinctions between various PRS models are an evolution of a single basic guitar or the variations are too subtle to immediately define ? 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    It would definitely happen on a Gibson thread. 

First someone would go off on QC issues, and eventually it would descend into a Henry J spitefest, featuring all the usual links to Glassdoor reviews and financial journalism doom and gloom. 

A few plucky souls would tell you how they would fix the company, despite having little to no actual business experience. 

At least four people would get banned. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Whitecat said:
    It would definitely happen on a Gibson thread. 

First someone would go off on QC issues, and eventually it would descend into a Henry J spitefest, featuring all the usual links to Glassdoor reviews and financial journalism doom and gloom. 

A few plucky souls would tell you how they would fix the company, despite having little to no actual business experience. 

At least four people would get banned. 
    lol You're quite right . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    the old 5 way v 3 way debate has always been a point of preference and ease of use - The 3 way with coil tap only allowed each pick-up to be tapped in a conventional way, whereas the 5 way offered different combinations of neck/bridge inside/outside coils to try and reflect a Strat on 2/4

I think the 3 way tapped voices can now be improved, as per the DGT models with partial coil tap mods

Ref the 5 way rotary or 5 way blade, I agree it is pretty obvious to see where you are on the blade format and so much easier than on a rotary - Yet the rotary switch I find you just got use to it and could hear which position you were in, so no need to really look - there are slight tweaks now with the blade switch as to the tapped voices on 2/4 which are fuller voiced than the old 5 way rotary
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    Depends on the spec. 
    The one 'mags has is wowsers ;) 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    I really can't stand any 24 fret guitars, I use the neck pickup a lot and there is a lot missing from 24 fret neck pickups. 

I have played some nice Custom 22s but the perfect PRS for me would be something like this but with a Rotary switch. 
    www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/s2/s2_standard_22_satin_2017
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    Love both mine, but they are a bit older. 

Not played a new one that didnt didn't feel like a toy tbh. 

Including wood library and Pvt Stock. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 123
    I stayed away from PRS guitars in general for years, perhaps it was the doctor/dentist thing or maybe they seemed to be commodities rather than toneful instruments.....how wrong I was. An old PRS is a very cool guitar indeed, picked up a Custom 24 in Cherry last year, fantastic instrument, loads of character and if you buy carefully bargains are out there but not for long I suspect.
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 453
    I owned a brand new custom 24 from WG with 57/08s, I think, and liked it well enough.  The bizarre thing I HATE about it though is that really, really ugly neck joint.  It's at the back and it shouldn't matter but its just the most ineligent thing on an otherwise well thought out guitar.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    Don't like 24 frets.  I had 6 PRS (not all at the same time and all gone now) and only the first one was 24 frets.  24 frets wasn't the reason for getting rid - the wide thin neck didn't help my wrist - but it was enough to put me off of any other 24 fret guitars.

I quite like the rotary switch, don't over much like any PRS pickups that I've tried except the DGT ones - although I haven't played the newer ones like 57/08 and 85/15.  A lot of it is personal taste though.  Some people will love the things I don't like.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1822
    The custom 24 when it came out for most of us was a revelation it was the guitar that bridged the gap between a Les Paul or a Fender.

For me HFS & VB sound really good, I have though about changing mine a few times but the things always sound great. 

The rotary switch never bothered me and once you get the technique its easy and looks nicer than a clunky old 3 or 5 way. 
    Never really like pull pots.

As for deadspots on the small heel it may be a fact but I own 1 and have played at least 6 from that era and I had never heard of it from friends or players, till Richard Homer brings it up :-)

So for me custom 24 is a great guitar
    Just realised mine 20 and 17 years old.....

I dont really like the newer neck shapes, I'm not keen on the new m/heads, the newer pickups seem good though, but as with any PRS, or any guitar for that matter, you have to play a few before you find a good match, but I will say for me it seems that the older ones have a higher strike rate of awesome vs just great. 
    tFB Trader
    The custom 24 when it came out for most of us was a revelation it was the guitar that bridged the gap between a Les Paul or a Fender.

For me HFS & VB sound really good, I have though about changing mine a few times but the things always sound great. 

The rotary switch never bothered me and once you get the technique its easy and looks nicer than a clunky old 3 or 5 way. 

As for deadspots on the small heel it may be a fact but I own 1 and have played at least 6 from that era and I had never heard of it from friends or players, till Richard Homer brings it up :-)

it became a big talking point generated by Ed Roman - a guy with a guitar store in Las Vegas and a big rant n rave section on his web site - some interesting topics - maybe some valid and some very opinionated to say the least - I think he wound Paul Reed Smith up about it - maybe there is some validity in it as PRS changed the heel, but it certainly is not a fault you'll find on all or many early models 
    tFB Trader
    One big plus point of any PRS Guitar is that you pretty much know the quality you are going to get before you even play one - You might not like the neck shape, or tonal character, but very rarely do you come across a grade 2 example with issues - As a dealer it is so common to open say a new Gibson delivery and even Fender (more from the past) and hope you are going to get a good example - I always used to quote that out of 10 LP Standards you'll find 2 that are very good - 6 that are okay and 2 that should have never left the factory 

Granted the figured tops on a PRS can vary, but that is character and some like wide flame, straight flame, curly flame quilt etc etc - But Paul found a way to achieve high quality consistency at a time when USA builders had many issues - we now take it for granted from so many builders that this quality was always part of the guitar industry - It wasn't

He certainly did not accept off the shelve ingredients - Many like them and many don't but the quality he created became the bench mark for all those who followed - He created boutique guitars and turned them into a high quality production format
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited April 2017
    @Guitars4you - the one I had was a '92 and it was a major issue on that guitar. A friend had a '91 with precisely the same problem.

I think this was one of those rare moments where Paul Smith quietly accepted the problem existed, by lengthening the heel. As I recall, this was never trumpeted by him as an 'improvement' like most other PRS changes - which suggests that the fault it cured was something he'd rather not talk about.
    tFB Trader
    @Guitars4you - the one I had was a '92 and it was a major issue on that guitar. A friend had a '91 with precisely the same problem.

i think this was one of those rare moments where Paul Smith quietly accepted the problem existed, by lengthening the heel. As I recall, this was never trumpeted by him as an 'improvement' like most other PRS changes - which suggests that the fault it cured was something he'd rather not talk about.
    I agree with you about Paul's reasoning behind the change - I've never personally owned a pre 1992 model - I've had them and sold them in the past, mostly used, but can't recall one that stood out a mile with that issue but fully aware of the comments - I know pre 92 models have this collectible tag, but I personally prefer models from a later date and think the build quality is a level above the early models
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    edited April 2017
    Mark is right, they do respond better to some healthy gain. I confess when I first bought one in the late 80's this I didn't realise, and I sold it not long after. I met David Grissom in the early 90's at a gig and we talked about his guitar. He would still use an Esquire or Strat from time to time when gain was not needed on recordings, like on the stuff he did with James McMurtry. Back then he said he was working on a new guitar with Paul and that became the more vintage flavoured McCarty.
    I'm attracted to the the older guitars because they are I guess 'from my era'  but the new ones have certainly the best looks and the necks feel more stable. Mind you just looking at this overpriced one at a 'premier' dealer, they seemed to attract the dust too....shocking!
    http://www.soundaffectspremier.com/images/products/1486130509-80390500.jpg

Is it me @guitars4you or is the PRS market becoming saturated? Not seeing much movement on them. Seems like everyone rushed to buy the 594's and now the rest are left standing. The negative ownership stigma certainly doesn't help, such nonsense....I've yet to meet a damn dentist that plays guitar.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7349
    I have one of the plain white ones that is the now discontinued Dave Navarro model and I hardly ever play it. Nicely made and sounds really good when played through a Plexi style amp with gain.

Would say that the low profile trem is smooth, just it feels cramped and the whole feel of the guitar is just off a little for my tastes, which echoes what has been said already. Great guitar though and more it isn't quite me rather than it has any actual faults.

it became a big talking point generated by Ed Roman - a guy with a guitar store in Las Vegas and a big rant n rave section on his web site - some interesting topics - maybe some valid and some very opinionated to say the least - I think he wound Paul Reed Smith up about it - maybe there is some validity in it as PRS changed the heel, but it certainly is not a fault you'll find on all or many early models 
    I recall his rant about 24 Vs 22 fret models.......

utter shodblocks if ever I heard it.